DO WAMC ORM LGTBQ non-trad, cGPA 3.53 sGPA 3.47, MCAT unbalanced 503, strong ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TragicalDrFaust

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
27yo Asian woman, midatlantic resident, went to state university
Is it worth weaving in that I’m LBGTQ (but “passing”)? Maybe that can be a separate thread...
I’m applying to as many of the DO schools as possible and would like to apply to some of the less competitive MD schools, particularly around the mid Atlantic region. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thank you!
  • MCAT 503, 125/128/123/127
  • 850 hours as a medical assistant (concierge and walk in practice) and scribe (orthopedic surgery), 30 hours shadowing (federally-funded hospital)
  • 100 hours volunteering at the local hospital at the inpatient drug rehab center and in the ER
  • 200 hours as a research assistant in a community health psychology lab - coauthored two posters on Black womens’ sexual health, presented at Eastern Psychological Association Convention and the American Psychological Association Convention
  • 100 hours volunteering, teaching age appropriate comprehensive sex education to middle school aged youth
  • 1,000+ hours as a registered pharmacy technician
  • 3,500+ hours in the specialty coffee industry as a barista and shift leader
  • 5,500+ hours at Starbucks as a barista and shift supervisor (yep that’s 9,000+ hours total in the coffee industry! Feel free to PM me your burning coffee questions)
  • Awarded a merit-based scholarship covering about 30% of tuition at state school
  • Was mostly responsible for covering my own tuition and expenses, hence the work experience
  • I qualify for state assistance and come from a single-parent family. My parent makes a decent salary but I receive “fringe benefits” only. Like my LGTBQ status, I was not sure if this was worth including.

*Edit: added clinical experience 8/20 5pm

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are competitive for most DO schools with your stats and should receive several interviews if you apply broadly to at least 15 schools.
Where is your state of residence ? Your chances are low for MD but you could try these schools:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
George Washington
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
TCU-UNT

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in Maryland - fairly sure I don’t stand a chance at UMD with my stats.

You are competitive for most DO schools with your stats and should receive several interviews if you apply broadly to at least 15 schools.
Where is your state of residence ? Your chances are low for MD but you could try these schools:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
George Washington
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin