WAMC ORM 526 MCAT cGPA 3.97 sGPA 3.99

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bphess648

Reaction score
MCAT breakdown: 132 132 131 131

State of Residence: Maine (so screw me for in state)

Race: If the state didn't make it obvious, I am also white

Undergraduate: I don't know the correct classification but I would say mid-tier private

Clinical Experience: 2600 hours primarily as an operating room assistant, though lots of patient contact (shave prepping for surgery among other things) over the course of 15 months

Research experience: 1 publication, not high impact around 500 hours of actual research experience. Presentation and Poster as well, won at my universities research contest

Shadowing experience: Hard to find in Maine, but did about 100 hours "interning"/training to be MA and shadowing vascular doc, mostly clinical work. I would say about half my job is shadowing surgery though.

Non-clinical volunteering: about 150 hours through my swim team with paralympic/community swim teams near my school. Obvious weak point in app.

Extracurricular: Division 1 swim team four years during college, about 3000-4000 hours collectively.
Self study japanese language, going to live there for a while this year with the money I've saved
500 hours as a lifeguard supervisor for summer work
80 hours ish as a teaching assistant for physics. Took place over the course of 2.5 years but we really only did our actual job for 1.5 hours a week (pretty standard at my school) during the semester, I mightve short sold myself on prep work though

Awards:
Nothing really major outside of school-related.
Eagle scout included on my app. I know its high school but it was pretty significant for me, also involved significant volunteering.

Honors Societies: Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society Chi Alpha Sigma National Student Athlete Honor Society Sigma Pi Sigma National Physics Honor Society Awards: Physics Medal (Departmental Medals awarded to student with highest intra-department GPA in discipline) Mathematics Achievement Award 2019 Organic Chemistry Achievement

I am a reapplicant. I have already applied to 25 schools, and yes I know its top heavy, but shoot my shot I guess. Biggest change this year is realized clinical experience and the research was published.

Hawaii
Boston U
NYU (received my only interview from them last cycle).
Yale
Harvard
Upenn
Northwestern
Central Florida
Columbia
Brown
Chicago Pritzker
Mt. Sinai
Johns Hopkins
Mayo Clinic
Vermont
University of Virginia
USF Morsani
Kaiser Permanente
Duke
WashU St. Louis
Tufts (submitted, will probably apply Maine track bc residency but im no really interested in rural medicine so this wouldnt be my first option if I have options)
Maryland (state ties through undergrad)
Ohio State
Vanderbilt
Indiana

My last 5 or so schools are UCLA, UCSF, USC, emory, Florida. No secondaries received for first 4, florida in progress.

I dont have infinite money, and obviously the above apps are sunk cost, but if theres any other schools I should REALLY look at please give me advice. I know I dont have high impact EC's or research for T20's, but I didn't want to apply too low and get yield protection at a lot of schools either. Last year the only interview I got early was NYU, and a late one from Connecticut in March.

Thanks for any advice.

Edit: 4th quartile casper like a 3 on preview

Members don't see this ad.

Hawaii and U Florida admit very few non residents with no connection to the state. Central Florida and Indiana will "yield protect" with your stats. I suggest adding these schools:
Dartmouth
Hofstra
Einstein
Cincinnati
Case Western
Pittsburgh

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OP:

Did you apply to the same schools last year?

Wash U didn’t interview you last year? They usually interview high stat applicants. Is there a possible problem with your rec letters?

OP:

Did you apply to the same schools last year?

Wash U didn’t interview you last year? They usually interview high stat applicants. Is there a possible problem with your rec letters?
washU is new, i kept getting emails from them so hopefully youre right. Letters are probably average. My biggest regret is i never needed help with anything school-wise so i never really got to know any professors very well.

Hawaii and U Florida admit very few non residents with no connection to the state. Central Florida and Indiana will "yield protect" with your stats. I suggest adding these schools:
Dartmouth
Hofstra
Einstein
Cincinnati
Case Western
Pittsburgh
Yeah i just did indiana bc no secondary so why not. I realize hawaiis a long shot but i figured since ive been learning japanese might as well. Ill look into these schools as well.

I'd add UMass to your list. Would also suggest adding some volunteer hours at a food bank, homeless shelter, or other similar program.

How are you a reapplicant with a 3.97/526, a publication, and D1 swimming? Even if you only applied to T10’s I would have expected it to be fine. I’m suspecting there’s some huge red flag in your app

How are you a reapplicant with a 3.97/526, a publication, and D1 swimming? Even if you only applied to T10’s I would have expected it to be fine. I’m suspecting there’s some huge red flag in your app
i had almost 0 realized clinical experience at the time of my application last year, and this is subjective but I think my personal statement was terrible. Also the publication came late last year. I hope one of those was the reason or else I guess I'm screwed if I am that bad at writing

OP

UVA really likes out of state applicants with high stats. Vandy is another high stats loving school. Did you apply to UVA last time & not get interviewed?

Get more nonclinical volunteering. As it is, you've barely checked the box. That and your lack of clinical experience probably sunk you last time. Now...I mean, you've got sky high stats and solid ECs with a weak point for volunteering. You should get more interviews than last time...you only had two, and failed to get an acceptance. That means your app was lacking on paper.