WAMC? ORM, 508, 3.86cGPA/3.78scGPA, strong clinical exp., MD/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hm747

Reaction score
What are my chances?

Hope the detail is more informative and helpful than it is annoying to you. I’m applying for 2021. Thanks for reading

From New York, no other ties.
24 y/o white male (will be 25 if/when i matriculate)
Finished undergrad december, 2018.

Undergraduate major: anthropology
graduated from one of the better SUNYs

Cum gpa: 3.86
Sci gpa: 3.78
Mcat: 508: 130/125/126/127

Research: approx. 1500 hrs

1.5 years of research/writing for my honors thesis in biological anthropology—included writing a grant, getting funding, and ultimately presenting at 2 professional conferences-American association of physical anthropology in Cleveland OH, and American association of applied anthropology in Portland, OR. I was first and only author on the project. I also did poster presentations at 3 undergrad-level conferences. All of this was one large project that lead to a few slightly different talks and posters. No publications.

Clinical experience: 4310 hours and counting.

1). I work in an inpatient psychiatric hospital full time as a nursing tech. I work at the teaching hospital of NYMC, so I know their teaching faculty in psych quite well. I work with peds/adolescent psych patients with their everyday living necessities, take all their vitals, perform manual holds and restraints in behavioral emergencies, and hold group sessions in the evening hours that focus on coping skills/goals/general feelings discussions. Naturally, many of my secondary essays have described this work in detail. I’ve been physically assaulted, bitten, knocked out, you name it (this is why i work with the kids now!). Also worked in a covid-only psych ward for 3 months. Received LOR from Dir. of Inpatient Psy. (Ongoing work, ~2080 hours so far)

2. 2 years training for, staffing, and training new students, to work on a mental health crisis hotline operated by students at my college under the supervision of a licensed clinical psychologist. Trained for 4 months then worked for 3 additional semesters. Roughly 27 hours/week for 4 semesters (2000 hours, approximately) (Volunteer)

2) ten week summer internship (unpaid) at Stony Brook university medical school’s (now Renaissance school of medicine’s) primary care center. I served as a geriatric intern, administering full annual Medicare wellness visits (screenings for depression, walking ability, Alzheimer’s/dementia written and oral tests, etc). (80 hours total)

3) received an additional ten weeks of training (on top of the 10 weeks required to work on the crisis hot line) allowing me to hold individual sessions w/ students/former students on campus w/ substance use disorders. My work and training for this was all under the supervision and constant evaluation of our on-campus licensed substance abuse counselor. (150 hours total) (volunteer)

Physician shadowing: 200 hrs
Shadowed one physician-a geriatric internal medicine doc in a rural private practice. I also spent some of that time with a nurse practitioner that he shared his practice with. (200 hours)

Non clinical volunteering:

1) 90 hours tutoring elementary aged kids in inner-city Rochester NY over the course of my college freshman year. (102 hours)

2) 2 summers doing administrative volunteer work for a preventive AIDS care non profit on Long Island. In theory this is 320 hours if I didn’t take any sick days during those summers. 320 hours.

3) I was on my college’s mental health task force. I was the only student on this board of college admins. we held meetings and hearings where we planned out building renovations to make tall academic buildings less suicide-friendly, among other mental health projects. (68 hours)

extracurricular activities:

1) elected by faculty to be a “presidential scholar” at my undergrad school. One of 15 student advisers to the college president. It gave me an opportunity to be part of a panel discussion with the schools staff psychologists about campus mental health, among other campus-wide presentations. Sat on some town hall panels. ~30 ish hours, but meaningful

2. Phi Beta Kappa member

Employment history:

2) served as a peer mentor with academic planning and advising office. Met with students individually to plan for better academic success. (1 semester) (76.5 hours total)

3) graduated college in Dec 2018 and immediately started working in a nursing home calling Medicare and Medicaid on behalf of our residents. (Full time while preparing for MCAT- ~900 hours total)

4) Teaching assistant for 5 different classes over the course of undergrad. Two of these were paid positions, 3 were for credits. (350 hours)

5) Also worth noting that I worked full time every summer working at, and later, managing, a parking lot. So on top of whatever shadowing/interning or volunteer work I was also working full time to help pay for school. (3200 hours) I described this in my AACOMAS but not in AMCAS.

interested primarily in pediatrics, secondarily: Psychiatry, child/adol psychiatry.

No family members in medicine. Dad is a radiology tech, though.

Interest in primary care: yes absolutely

Interest in rural health: yes absolutely. Went to college in rural upstate NY and i want to stay in that environment.

Medical School list (not in any particular order of preference):

1. Jacobs school of medicine- university at buffalo
2. New york medical college
3. penn state
4. albany medical college
5. Tulane
6. SUNY Upstate
7. SUNY downstate
8. NYU -Long Island (only b/c I'm from Long Island)
9. hackensack- meridian at Seton Hall
10. UVM Larner
11. Drexel
12. Oakland William Beaumont
13. Rush Medical College
14. Netter School of Med at Quinnipiac
15. Geisinger
16. Creighton U
17. Nova Southeastern U
18. Texas Christian U/ UNT
19. AT Still in Kirksville
20.Touro - NY DO (Harlem)
21. PCOM
22. NYITCOM
23. Midwestern U- Chicago DO
24. LECOM
25. RowanSOM DO
Might add more DOs. Idk. I tried hard to stay away from schools with strong IS preference.
Do you think ill get MD interviews with the uneven 508? College pre-med advisor said "100% you'll be fine!" I'm hopeful about SUNYs, Rush, Albany and Tulane. I gotta work full time. Not gonna be retaking MCAT. ugh.

Thanks for reading

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You could add these schools to your list:
Stony Brook
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
St. Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Wayne State
You should receive MD interviews and you are competitive for all DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
You could add these schools to your list:
Stony Brook
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
St. Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Wayne State
You should receive MD interviews and you are competitive for all DO schools.
Thanks! I'll add all of these.