WAMC (Oregon, Washington, UofA, CSU, Ohio)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowtzu821

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I’ve posted in here before, but recently I’ve had to rethink the schools I’m applying to. I’m a Nevada resident, and I’m applying OOS to all these schools because it was just announced Nevada is not supporting the WICHE PSEP program this year. :(
I still want to apply to Washington, Oregon, and Colorado due to them being close to home, and I have already started the applications. But now I’m also considering Ohio state, and UofA.
Here are my stats.

Cumulative GPA: 4.0
science GPA:4.0
last 45: 4.0

Any degrees achieved
B.S. Vet Science Spring 2021
GRE results: Q/V/W
154/159/waiting on
Veterinary Experience:
~1100 hours working as a lab animal assistant at my schools lab animal vivarium supervised by 2 lab animal vets
~20 hours shadowing a small animal vet
~24 hours volunteering as a surgery monitor at my local humane society clinic

Animal Experience:
~200 hours pet sitting various dogs

Research Experience:
~50 hours working on my honors thesis which involves analyzing mouse behavior during anesthesia

Awards/scholarships:
Deans list every semester
Nevada Ag foundation scholarship 2018-2021
~6 scholarships from my school
13 scholarships from outside organizations
Honorable Mention at congressional art competition

Extracurriculars:
Member of my college ambassador club -2018-2019
Vice President of my college ambassador club- 2019-2020
Secretary of my college ambassador club -present
Member of my schools pre vet club 2017-2018

I also have various one-off volunteering experiences from college through high school.

Employment:
I’ve privately tutored a student in 6th grade reading.
And I worked as a mentor to incoming freshmen every summer in college the week before school starts (except this year due to it being cancelled)

Summarize any concerns you have
My main concerns are my experiences not being wide enough. I have only just started volunteering at the shelter due to COVID, but I will be continuing to help out there throughout the school year.
I plan to write my essays with the intention of being a lab animal vet, so I’m hoping they understand why I have spent so long at my current job (because I like it and I have started working on my thesis with the vet there)
I’m also very discouraged due to WICHE not being an option anymore, and having to change up the schools I was applying to as OOS.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, Originally OOS applicant to WSU. I'm so sorry about WICHE :( I also don't know how that will impact how WSU will evaluate applicants. Usually WICHE students get preference evaluation. I would reach out to Stacey Poler in admissions and talk to her.
Overall I think with all circumstances considered you have a decent shot of at least getting an interview. Your GPA and GRE are on spot. Knock out your essays and have awesome LORs! Use that explanation statement to briefly touch on how COVID impacted your plans.
When I wrote my essay I wrote what I wanted to be based on where I had been longest and it hasn't changed yet-so you're good. It's much more concerning for an applicant to be dead set on say lab animal med and only have equine experience. Saying they're interested isn't bad, but being dead set and having no experience to support is where the trouble is.
Since WICHE isn't an option anymore I would suggest applying to schools on the lower price end& ones that allow residency switch-WA, Mizzou, NC state, UC Davis&Ohio (though Ohio isn't really saving much).
I would think of dropping CSU and Ohio for tuition purposes because they're so expensive- other schools like purdue are cheaper OOS.
I would encourage you to reach out to the recruiters at WA, OR, & CO to see how NV's decision may impact their applicant evaluation. Good luck I think you have a great start and I'm always here if you have more questions!

Hey, Originally OOS applicant to WSU. I'm so sorry about WICHE :( I also don't know how that will impact how WSU will evaluate applicants. Usually WICHE students get preference evaluation. I would reach out to Stacey Poler in admissions and talk to her.
Overall I think with all circumstances considered you have a decent shot of at least getting an interview. Your GPA and GRE are on spot. Knock out your essays and have awesome LORs! Use that explanation statement to briefly touch on how COVID impacted your plans.
When I wrote my essay I wrote what I wanted to be based on where I had been longest and it hasn't changed yet-so you're good. It's much more concerning for an applicant to be dead set on say lab animal med and only have equine experience. Saying they're interested isn't bad, but being dead set and having no experience to support is where the trouble is.
Since WICHE isn't an option anymore I would suggest applying to schools on the lower price end& ones that allow residency switch-WA, Mizzou, NC state, UC Davis&Ohio (though Ohio isn't really saving much).
I would think of dropping CSU and Ohio for tuition purposes because they're so expensive- other schools like purdue are cheaper OOS.
I would encourage you to reach out to the recruiters at WA, OR, & CO to see how NV's decision may impact their applicant evaluation. Good luck I think you have a great start and I'm always here if you have more questions!
Thank you so much for the advice! I will reach out to Washington and look into those other schools! I really wanted to apply to Davis, but I was discouraged due to their high avg Quant score for OOS students.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!
I’ve posted in here before, but recently I’ve had to rethink the schools I’m applying to. I’m a Nevada resident, and I’m applying OOS to all these schools because it was just announced Nevada is not supporting the WICHE PSEP program this year. :(
I still want to apply to Washington, Oregon, and Colorado due to them being close to home, and I have already started the applications. But now I’m also considering Ohio state, and UofA.
Here are my stats.

Cumulative GPA: 4.0
science GPA:4.0
last 45: 4.0

Any degrees achieved
B.S. Vet Science Spring 2021
GRE results: Q/V/W
154/159/waiting on
Veterinary Experience:
~1100 hours working as a lab animal assistant at my schools lab animal vivarium supervised by 2 lab animal vets
~20 hours shadowing a small animal vet
~24 hours volunteering as a surgery monitor at my local humane society clinic

Animal Experience:
~200 hours pet sitting various dogs

Research Experience:
~50 hours working on my honors thesis which involves analyzing mouse behavior during anesthesia

Awards/scholarships:
Deans list every semester
Nevada Ag foundation scholarship 2018-2021
~6 scholarships from my school
13 scholarships from outside organizations
Honorable Mention at congressional art competition

Extracurriculars:
Member of my college ambassador club -2018-2019
Vice President of my college ambassador club- 2019-2020
Secretary of my college ambassador club -present
Member of my schools pre vet club 2017-2018

I also have various one-off volunteering experiences from college through high school.

Employment:
I’ve privately tutored a student in 6th grade reading.
And I worked as a mentor to incoming freshmen every summer in college the week before school starts (except this year due to it being cancelled)

Summarize any concerns you have
My main concerns are my experiences not being wide enough. I have only just started volunteering at the shelter due to COVID, but I will be continuing to help out there throughout the school year.
I plan to write my essays with the intention of being a lab animal vet, so I’m hoping they understand why I have spent so long at my current job (because I like it and I have started working on my thesis with the vet there)
I’m also very discouraged due to WICHE not being an option anymore, and having to change up the schools I was applying to as OOS.
Hi, I'm in the c/o 2024 at Oregon State. I was in your position last year at this time and I know that it is daunting. Your grades are perfect, so no problem there as long as you have all of the prerequisites done, which are pretty standard. Our class had an average GRE of 152/155/4.1, so that is good. They accept a fair number of oos applicants so the odds are decent here for an oos student. The application has to be filled out perfectly and your personal statement really needs to be strong. Also, letters of recommendation here are a big thing. Try to get really strong letters, especially from vets. The best thing that you can do right now is to do everything that you can to get all the real life experience you can and especially in a clinic or hospital. I got in even though I still needed all of my upper level classes and I won't have a B.S. on entry. My strong points were having great letters and I also worked as a CVT for 20 years and had 46000 hours of experience. They don't require that, but if you can get a few hundred more hours with small, large or mixed practice you are looking really good! The MMI interview was a killer for some, but I found it to be really enjoyable. Don't study for it or you will sound rehearsed. Just talk to them like you would talk to anyone. There are no right answers. They just want you to be able to think on your feet. I'm not sure about other schools, but I'm sure you have a strong chance of getting into at least one with your stats. Just do what you can to beef up your hours.

You can get in state tuition to both WSU and Ohio state. But I’m sorry about WICHE. I was a NV resident that went to Ohio State. This was 20 years ago but still vouch for being a buckeye. Lol. Anyways, just wanted to say that I’m sorry something that has been in place for 30 something years is gone now. So sad indeed. I can speak about Ohio state if you want but things have changed since I was there...
Also Ohio state used to give out considerable scholarships for oos tuition for first year. FYI.

Thank you so much for the advice! I will reach out to Washington and look into those other schools! I really wanted to apply to Davis, but I was discouraged due to their high avg Quant score for OOS students.
Hey! I'm in the exact same position as you (NV resident, bummed about WICHE). Did you ever reach out to WSU about how it will affect applicant evaluation? I was about to email them but figured I'd check SDN first.

Hey! I'm in the exact same position as you (NV resident, bummed about WICHE). Did you ever reach out to WSU about how it will affect applicant evaluation? I was about to email them but figured I'd check SDN first.
Yes! They said
“At this time, we will continue to treat Nevada/WICHE students as we have in the past. Nevada residents are part of our non-resident applicant pool, and we will continue to support Nevada as a WICHE state (even if Nevada declines funding for this year). As we continue to communicate with WICHE offices and learn additional information, we may reevaluate our decision. Any updates to program policy will be posted on our website.”