MD WAMC: NY/CA ORM, cGPA 3.88, sGPA 3.72, 512 -> 511 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lattepcr

Reaction score

Hi!​

I just graduated college with a degree in biomedical engineering and a minor in psychology.

1. cGPA 3.88, sGPA: 3.72
2. NY resident, can also change residency to CA during my gap years
3. ORM Asian
4. Ivy league for undergrad
5. Clinical experience:
- research coordinator for 1 year
- clinical research assistant during my 2 upcoming gap years
6. Research experience:
- 4 years in a few different biomedical engineering and translational immunology labs
- 5 publications (1 review (first author), 4 research papers)
7. Other extracurricular activities:
- 4 years in a student-run sustainability academic journal (Editor In Chief)
- TA for a palliative care seminar

I’m starting my two gap years in a fertility clinic along to do translational research. I’m worried that my slight dip in my second MCAT is going to negatively affect my application and would love some advice on what more I can do during my gap years to strengthen my application and which schools I can realistically apply to (hoping to stay in a large city like NYC, LA, or SF).

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

My first MCAT was Sept 2022 (130/127/127/128) and second June 2023 (128/127/127/129).
I haven’t looked into Casper/PREview.
I have minimal community service - mostly worked as a tutor throughout college to pay tuition on top of my 15 hour/week unpaid research.

Members don't see this ad :)
My first MCAT was Sept 2022 (130/127/127/128) and second June 2023 (128/127/127/129).
I haven’t looked into Casper/PREview.
I have minimal community service - mostly worked as a tutor throughout college to pay tuition on top of my 15 hour/week unpaid research.
If you're taking 2 gap years, don't take the CASPer or PREview until the spring when you're applying.

Reactions: 1 user
Volunteer, volunteer, volunteer!

What you identify as clinical experience might be regarded as research-related rather than patient oriented work. Did those experiences require you to interact in person with sick/injured people seeking medical assistance?

Service oriented work/volunteering is missing as well.

Zero shadowing hours is also a problem.

IMHO, you’d be much better served spending 2 years acquiring the above experiences rather than doing more research, which you have plenty of.

Your MCAT score makes the powerhouse research oriented medical schools a long shot (despite your impressive research portfolio) especially if you want to end up in a big East/West Coast MD program.

Reactions: 1 users