WAMC: Non-trad, low MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LouieWilder

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE
  1. Still awaiting verification but self-calculated cGPA: 3.56 sGPA: 3.3
  2. MCAT - 494
  3. State of Residence - Grew up in TN. Strong ties to WA, MS.
  4. URM
  5. Ivy
  6. Nonvolunteer clinical - Est. 7000+. Volunteer Clinical - 300+ (VAMC, Community Clinics for uninsured/underserved)
  7. Unpublished research on health disparities and representation in medicine/academia
  8. Shadowed/worked with ortho surgeon as a medic, trauma surgeon for observation experience
  9. Worked with Veterans tranisitioning into higher education and navigating VA Healthcare/Disability process, Big Brother mentor, MealsonWheels when COVID closed our local senior center.
  10. 10+ years in the military as a medic
  11. Multiple awards from military service
  12. My passion is for underrepresented communities and Veterans. Family came to the states from a very traditional LMIC, grew up in single-income household <$25k (dad also served in the military), will be the first in my family to attain a bachelor's.
School List:
  • Meharry, Howard, Mississippi, Morehouse, ETSU, UTHSC, LSU-Both
  • WesternU-CA and OR, Lincoln-Debusk, Touro-CA, Burrell, Mich State, Cal Health Sciences, Campbell, ICOM, New England COM, LECOM, Nova, William Carey

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Howard, Meharry and Morehouse admit mainly applicants from the African American community or those with extensive service to that community.
Mississippi does not admit non residents.
A MCAT of 494 is not competitive for any MD schools. You could receive interviews at some DO schools and your military background will help.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
VCOM (all 4 schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
LMU-DCOM
WCU-COM
ACOM
UIWSOM
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
BCOM
ICOM
Noorda-COM
KHSC-COM (new school)
LUCOM
LECOM (Erie, Seton Hill, Elmira)
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
If you have not received any acceptances by March you should plan on retaking the MCAT next year but do not retake until your practice scores are consistently over 500.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your years as a medic. You might have a slim shot at HBCU's but I would reach out if you fit them. You do need to retake the MCAT for a much stronger shot.

Reactions: 1 user