WAMC? Non-Trad/3.5 cGPA/3.2 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badatbiochem24

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
OP: I know it's hard to be patient, but you answered your own question. We can't really tell you if it's worth applying until we get your official MCAT. That said, prepare to apply to your in-state programs if you can discuss your identity as being part of a historically disenfranchised or underrepresented community.

Reactions: 3 users
What is your ethnic background from a family perspective? You included Asian and African, but there doesn’t seem to be any activities related to serving those communities or being involved with cultural clubs in college.

MCAT will determine your competitiveness, but with a 3.21 science GPA, you are unlikely to have success getting interviews at most MD schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I will also note your community service is light. You have a fair amount of non-clinical volunteering but outreach to those in need seems to be limited to your food pantry service. Anything else?

Reactions: 1 users
What is your ethnic background from a family perspective? You included Asian and African, but there doesn’t seem to be any activities related to serving those communities or being involved with cultural clubs in college.

MCAT will determine your competitiveness, but with a 3.21 science GPA, you are unlikely to have success getting interviews at most MD schools.
My father is south asian and then my mother is half arab (which is why I put white because I was told that arabs fall under caucasian?) half african (south african, not northern african). I didn't mention any clubs I was in purely because I ran out of space on my application and I felt like the leadership positions were more important than simply being a club member. I think the place I was most involved with those communities was when I taught sunday school as my class was mostly made up of south asian, arab, and african children and that community in general is very diverse.

I will also note your community service is light. You have a fair amount of non-clinical volunteering but outreach to those in need seems to be limited to your food pantry service. Anything else?
So in terms of community service I did the food pantry, volunteered at the park, taught sunday school, and also helped with free medical clinics. The clinic that I work at runs free clinics from time to time, but I spoke about that more in the activity section for medical assistant.

So in terms of community service I did the food pantry, volunteered at the park, taught sunday school, and also helped with free medical clinics. The clinic that I work at runs free clinics from time to time, but I spoke about that more in the activity section for medical assistant.
I'll point out what AAMC describes as "service orientation" (article also at How to demonstrate service orientation with examples).

From volunteering in a soup kitchen to mentoring students, there are many ways to express your dedication to serving others. Service orientation is when an applicant demonstrates a desire to help others and is sensitive to others’ needs and feelings; has a desire to alleviate others’ distress; recognizes and acts on his/her responsibilities to society; locally, nationally, and globally.

So the food pantry (50 hours) is clearly an example. Helping in free medical clinics, okay (where did you mention this and how many hours?). But volunteering in the park, teaching Sunday School (200 hours), and volunteering in libraries and schools doesn't really help address what I highlighted in the definition. (Teaching, tutoring, and volunteering in libraries or museums is actually a form of teaching/education that is a separate category of activities than "community service.").

I say this because most applicants that get interview invitations have a minimum of 100-150 hours of community service. I can only see you have 50 hours.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll point out what AAMC describes as "service orientation" (article also at How to demonstrate service orientation with examples).

From volunteering in a soup kitchen to mentoring students, there are many ways to express your dedication to serving others. Service orientation is when an applicant demonstrates a desire to help others and is sensitive to others’ needs and feelings; has a desire to alleviate others’ distress; recognizes and acts on his/her responsibilities to society; locally, nationally, and globally.

So the food pantry (50 hours) is clearly an example. Helping in free medical clinics, okay (where did you mention this and how many hours?). But volunteering in the park, teaching Sunday School (200 hours), and volunteering in libraries and schools doesn't really help address what I highlighted in the definition. (Teaching, tutoring, and volunteering in libraries or museums is actually a form of teaching/education that is a separate category of activities than "community service.").

I say this because most applicants that get interview invitations have a minimum of 100-150 hours of community service. I can only see you have 50 hours.
I spoke about the free clinics in my actual description for MA under the most meaningful. I didn't add hours but we've held them at least 5 times so I would say 40 hours. The Sunday school acts as a community center as well and I personally felt like it provided kids a space for social support and various activities, which is why I felt like it was more community service than just teaching, but you are the expert here so if it doesn't fall under that then I believe my volunteer hours are a little lower than I anticipated.

I spoke about the free clinics in my actual description for MA under the most meaningful. I didn't add hours but we've held them at least 5 times so I would say 40 hours. The Sunday school acts as a community center as well and I personally felt like it provided kids a space for social support and various activities, which is why I felt like it was more community service than just teaching, but you are the expert here so if it doesn't fall under that then I believe my volunteer hours are a little lower than I anticipated.
@Mr.Smile12 really explained this very well. I’ll just add that you need to get out of your comfort zone. Start dealing with the unserved/underserved in your community. As a physician you will have to deal with people very unlike yourself. You have to show ADCOMS that you can do this comfortably. This is an area where you show your altruism.
Good luck on the MCAT.

Understand we are limited to what you disclose so the additional detail can make a difference in judging your experience. Knowing what our first impressions from your description should help you if there are any gaps.

For details, are you a member of the congregation where you are teaching Sunday school, and/or is this a mission organized by the church? Tell us more about that community and other things you do to help them. I know many outreach opportunities run by faith organizations, some spun off to be their own non profits focused on gun violence, housing challenges, refugee/undocumented family support, etc. Just saying "Sunday school" doesn't really sound like you are a more engaged member who is service oriented. If it is held in a community center, that helps.

We are here to help you articulate your strengths and value to a future in health care. I want to be sure you know this is intended to be constructive.

Understand we are limited to what you disclose so the additional detail can make a difference in judging your experience. Knowing what our first impressions from your description should help you if there are any gaps.

For details, are you a member of the congregation where you are teaching Sunday school, and/or is this a mission organized by the church? Tell us more about that community and other things you do to help them. I know many outreach opportunities run by faith organizations, some spun off to be their own non profits focused on gun violence, housing challenges, refugee/undocumented family support, etc. Just saying "Sunday school" doesn't really sound like you are a more engaged member who is service oriented. If it is held in a community center, that helps.

We are here to help you articulate your strengths and value to a future in health care. I want to be sure you know this is intended to be constructive.
I completely understand and appreciate the feedback! I hope that my comment about you being an expert didn't come off as negative. You and the others know far more about this process than I do, which is why I am here to learn as much as I can and increase my chances.

I am a member of the temple where I teach Sunday school. I attended the same sunday school when I was a child and it offered me so many opportunities that I felt like I wanted to give back by teaching as well. It really gave me a sense of community, especially as a person of color who lived in a primarily white area and really allowed me to broaden my cultural understanding. I guess as a religious institution it falls under a "non-profit," however, there were no specific programs other than the food pantry. We absolutely held/hold soup kitchens, especially during holy months/holidays, assist with relocation for refugees, hold food and clothing drives to assist with natural disasters, etc. My main job was to teach sunday school and help with the meals for the kids, however, I did help with all those other initiatives as they would happen. Any other information you need I would be more than happy to provide and again I appreciate all of the feedback!

I completely understand and appreciate the feedback! I hope that my comment about you being an expert didn't come off as negative. You and the others know far more about this process than I do, which is why I am here to learn as much as I can and increase my chances.

I am a member of the temple where I teach Sunday school. I attended the same sunday school when I was a child and it offered me so many opportunities that I felt like I wanted to give back by teaching as well. It really gave me a sense of community, especially as a person of color who lived in a primarily white area and really allowed me to broaden my cultural understanding. I guess as a religious institution it falls under a "non-profit," however, there were no specific programs other than the food pantry. We absolutely held/hold soup kitchens, especially during holy months/holidays, assist with relocation for refugees, hold food and clothing drives to assist with natural disasters, etc. My main job was to teach sunday school and help with the meals for the kids, however, I did help with all those other initiatives as they would happen. Any other information you need I would be more than happy to provide and again I appreciate all of the feedback!
See how impressive that sounds. Giving back to a community that greatly helped you. as a child, helping kids now, joining frequently in big service projects that focus on special and meaningful times in the lives of your congregation. And on and on. ADCOMS have no idea what you did. You have to tell and sell them on your whole application. Impress them. Make them want to interview you.
Good luck.

See how impressive that sounds. Giving back to a community that greatly helped you. as a child, helping kids now, joining frequently in big service projects that focus on special and meaningful times in the lives of your congregation. And on and on. ADCOMS have no idea what you did. You have to tell and sell them on your whole application. Impress them. Make them want to interview you.
Good luck.
I appreciate the feedback! I wish I had posted here before submitting my app. I mainly focused on the teaching, but didn't even think to mention these other aspects. It was definitely hard fitting everything into 700 characters. I'm also hoping that I have the opportunity to show ADCOMs this side of me, but unfortunately I am taking my MCAT at the end of this month so I am much later than I'd like to be. My stats are underwhelming and I hope this doesn't come off as arrogant, but I do feel like if I had the opportunity to interview I would be able to properly present myself as a viable candidate for medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate the feedback! I wish I had posted here before submitting my app. I mainly focused on the teaching, but didn't even think to mention these other aspects. It was definitely hard fitting everything into 700 characters. I'm also hoping that I have the opportunity to show ADCOMs this side of me, but unfortunately I am taking my MCAT at the end of this month so I am much later than I'd like to be. My stats are underwhelming and I hope this doesn't come off as arrogant, but I do feel like if I had the opportunity to interview I would be able to properly present myself as a viable candidate for medical school.
Fortunately or unfortunately, you are not alone in expressing this opinion, but you have to make it to an invitation as would the other thousand of applicants. No different if you were applying for a "real world" job... we all think the same way. That's why we have been here for over 20 years.

Fortunately or unfortunately, you are not alone in expressing this opinion, but you have to make it to an invitation as would the other thousand of applicants. No different if you were applying for a "real world" job... we all think the same way. That's why we have been here for over 20 years.
Should I discuss my community service in more detail in my secondaries?

Yes. What are your prompts?
Well I took my MCAT yesterday and I’m not feeling too hot about it. If I had to choose a score I’d say low 500s. I’m assuming that plus getting my score at the end of august puts me out of reach for MD schools.

Well I took my MCAT yesterday and I’m not feeling too hot about it. If I had to choose a score I’d say low 500s. I’m assuming that plus getting my score at the end of august puts me out of reach for MD schools.
I would wait to see what your actual score is as sometimes students do great even if they felt bad coming out of the testing center. You could potentially apply to IU still as it is your state school (if it was not the school you used to get your AMCAS verified).

I would wait to see what your actual score is as sometimes students do great even if they felt bad coming out of the testing center. You could potentially apply to IU still as it is your state school (if it was not the school you used to get your AMCAS verified).
My FL scores ranged from 503-508 and yesterdays CP was brutal and CARS was a mess so I feel like my result will be on the lower end. I am definitely adding IU as it is my state school but their stats are quite high so I’m not sure if I even have a chance. I was planning on applying to the bottom 30 that accept OOS but I feel like a low 500s MCAT score will make even that unlikely.

Post your actual MCAT score here when available.
Is there anything I can do until then? I was just going to prewrite secondaries until my score comes in and do the bottom 30 MD schools and then DO schools as well. I’m assuming between a 502-505.

Is there anything I can do until then? I was just going to prewrite secondaries until my score comes in and do the bottom 30 MD schools and then DO schools as well. I’m assuming between a 502-505.
Do not prewrite as you don’t know your score and many of the MD schools you are thinking of likely do not actually accept OOS students who lack ties to the state.

Do not prewrite as you don’t know your score and many of the MD schools you are thinking of likely do not actually accept OOS students who lack ties to the state.
Is there a list of schools that do accept OOS without ties? I feel like if I wait for my score to come back at the end of august and then try to write secondaries then not only will my secondaries suffer but I will be even later than I already am.

Is there a list of schools that do accept OOS without ties? I feel like if I wait for my score to come back at the end of august and then try to write secondaries then not only will my secondaries suffer but I will be even later than I already am.
It varies widely and usually one needs to buy MSAR and investigate schools throughly as some may claim they take a lot of OOS, but it is only from certain states in the region. We can only provide a tailored list when you have an actual score as that will decide where/if you should apply for MD.

For DO, the cycle runs longer and even October is not considered late. You could look at Marian’s secondary if you really want to start writing something.

It varies widely and usually one needs to buy MSAR and investigate schools throughly as some may claim they take a lot of OOS, but it is only from certain states in the region. We can only provide a tailored list when you have an actual score as that will decide where/if you should apply for MD.

For DO, the cycle runs longer and even October is not considered late. You could look at Marian’s secondary if you really want to start writing something.
I’m a little confused as to how I should spend my August. Also does waiting until the end of august to write secondaries not put me at a huge disadvantage although I guess I really did this to myself with such a late MCAT. I guess just feel very restless and frustrated that things turned out this way.

I’m a little confused as to how I should spend my August. Also does waiting until the end of august to write secondaries not put me at a huge disadvantage although I guess I really did this to myself with such a late MCAT. I guess just feel very restless and frustrated that things turned out this way.
It is likely you will have to apply heavily to DO and as I said, their cycle runs longer. There is not much you can do besides look at Marian’s secondary questions. It might be good to rest for a bit and clear your mind with things you enjoy doing in your free time since you will be busy again shortly.

It is likely you will have to apply heavily to DO and as I said, their cycle runs longer. There is not much you can do besides look at Marian’s secondary questions. It might be good to rest for a bit and clear your mind with things you enjoy doing in your free time since you will be busy again shortly.
Well here I am with a 503. 126/124/125/128. Very frustrated as I was averaging 130 in CARS and have absolutely no idea what happened there.

I’m assuming MD is a no go with a 503?
You could try your instate school- Indiana. Otherwise apply broadly to DO schools in the coming month and I suggest these:
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
CUSOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
NYIT-AR
ACOM
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
TUNCOM

You could try your instate school- Indiana. Otherwise apply broadly to DO schools in the coming month and I suggest these:
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
CUSOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
NYIT-AR
ACOM
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
Ok, I’ll apply to these as well as Indiana. Appreciate your input. Any other MD programs worth taking a shot at, at this point? I have nothing to do but write this month I guess.

Ok, I’ll apply to these as well as Indiana. Appreciate your input. Any other MD programs worth taking a shot at, at this point? I have nothing to do but write this month I guess.
You could try schools such as Rosalind Franklin, Medical College Wisconsin, Oakland Beaumont, TCU-UNT, Creighton, Loyola, NOVA MD, Drexel, Temple, Hackensack, Albany.

You could try schools such as Rosalind Franklin, Medical College Wisconsin, Oakland Beaumont, TCU-UNT, Creighton, Loyola, NOVA MD, Drexel, Temple, Hackensack, Albany.
Are any of the historically black universities worth a shot? Meharry or Morehouse? My grandfather briefly taught at more house in the 60s but he was there a very short time.

Are any of the historically black universities worth a shot? Meharry or Morehouse? My grandfather briefly taught at more house in the 60s but he was there a very short time.
I don't think the fact your grandfather taught there 60 years ago will be very relevant. And it seems your Sunday school activity was focused on teaching in your primary, so I don't think the HBCUs will see how you fit their mission very well.

I would suggest IU only for MD.

I don't think the fact your grandfather taught there 60 years ago will be very relevant. And it seems your Sunday school activity was focused on teaching in your primary, so I don't think the HBCUs will see how you fit their mission very well.

I would suggest IU only for MD.
Thank you for your feedback. I had a quick question. I am currently filling out my secondaries. A couple schools asked whether I consider myself URM and I am not sure how to approach this question. My father's family is from Afghanistan which falls under asian, meanwhile my mother is half arab/south african, however, I am not sure how to describe the south african side. I always related with other african cultures (nigerian, kenyan) far more than south african. Should I discuss how my great grandparents met and why my great grandmother left south africa due to persecution or should I talk more about my own personal experience with African culture. I also understand that African and african american are 2 very different things so I don't know if south african would even fall under URM. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Thank you for your feedback. I had a quick question. I am currently filling out my secondaries. A couple schools asked whether I consider myself URM and I am not sure how to approach this question. My father's family is from Afghanistan which falls under asian, meanwhile my mother is half arab/south african, however, I am not sure how to describe the south african side. I always related with other african cultures (nigerian, kenyan) far more than south african. Should I discuss how my great grandparents met and why my great grandmother left south africa due to persecution or should I talk more about my own personal experience with African culture. I also understand that African and african american are 2 very different things so I don't know if south african would even fall under URM. Thank you very much for your feedback.
If you are going to need to explain through your great grandparents, I think it might be a stretch. Might be better to avoid it all together if it is giving you trouble.

If you are going to need to explain through your great grandparents, I think it might be a stretch. Might be better to avoid it all together if it is giving you trouble.
Understandable, I personally would like to talk about it as it is part of my story and my mother's story as to how she came to this country, however, I don't want to force it or make anything up. I just wasn't sure how to approach it.

Understandable, I personally would like to talk about it as it is part of my story and my mother's story as to how she came to this country, however, I don't want to force it or make anything up. I just wasn't sure how to approach it.
Well the core of it is that URM is underrepresented in medicine. Did you feel that you didn't see or hear about physicians who look like you while growing up? There are certainly main doctors with an Arab background.

Are your mother's parents indigenous to South Africa themselves and they left due to Apartheid? Or were they (or their ancestors) immigrants themselves to South Africa from another area?

Well the core of it is that URM is underrepresented in medicine. Did you feel that you didn't see or hear about physicians who look like you while growing up? There are certainly main doctors with an Arab background.

Are your mother's parents indigenous to South Africa themselves and they left due to Apartheid? Or were they (or their ancestors) immigrants themselves to South Africa from another area?
I have never personally seen a doctor of color in my life. They have all been white. There are certainly brown doctors out there but my pediatrician, pcp, derm, orthopedic surgeon, and gastro have all been white. Also, my father's side is Afghan. I have seen firsthand the difficulty that they as a people and community have with accessing healthcare both here in the US and especially in Afghanistan. I guess since they are categorized into asian/south asian or caucasian they would be considered ORM, but I would like to talk about the difficulties they have.

My great-grandmother was a native South African. My great-grandfather was sent there for work as he lived in a country ruled by the British. He met my great-grandmother and they both spoke English due to colonization. They were not allowed to get married for obvious reasons and eventually the racism got to the point that the South African government was paying people of color to leave. He took her back overseas and they got married. This was all pre WWII and then post WWII even more chaos happened with them. I am very glad to be living in current times as I could not imagine going through what they went through.

Last edited:
How much space/ many characters do you have?
One of them is 2000 and the other is 4000, so quite a bit. I would like to have a response ready in case other schools ask as well and I would like for them to hear my story and get understanding of my background as it has shaped who I am as a person.

I have never personally seen a doctor of color in my life. They have all been white. There are certainly brown doctors out there but my pediatrician, pcp, derm, orthopedic surgeon, and gastro have all been white. Also, my father's side is Afghan. I have seen firsthand the difficulty that they as a people and community have with accessing healthcare both here in the US and especially in Afghanistan. I guess since they are categorized into asian/south asian or caucasian they would be considered ORM, but I would like to talk about the difficulties they have.

My great-grandmother was a native South African. My great-grandfather was sent there for work as he lived in a country ruled by the British. He met my great-grandmother and they both spoke English due to colonization. They were not allowed to get married for obvious reasons and eventually the racism got to the point that the South African government was paying people of color to leave. He took her back overseas and they got married. This was all pre WWII and then post WWII even more chaos happened with them. I am very glad to be living in current times as I could not imagine going through what they went through.

The bolded would be a good base to build on with more details and it also incorporates you.

The story about your great-grandparents is too far removed from you. You may wish to share it, but it really doesn’t answer the prompt imo if it is asking if you identify as URM. In your discussion about your father being Afghan, you can say that your mother is part native South African and that you interact with many African communities through your volunteering, but have not seen them represented in a medical setting.

The bolded would be a good base to build on with more details and it also incorporates you.

The story about your great-grandparents is too far removed from you. You may wish to share it, but it really doesn’t answer the prompt imo if it is asking if you identify as URM. In your discussion about your father being Afghan, you can say that your mother is part native South African and that you interact with many African communities through your volunteering, but have not seen them represented in a medical setting.
Thank you very much! This is a great base to work off of. I greatly appreciate it.

Got my rejection email from IU today. Very dramatic, but this is probably one of the worst days of my life.

i got rejected from IU pre-II (early in the cycle and was my instate too) last cycle with a similar profile and 51x MCAT. it was SO hard because i realized i’d be leaving home and family for med school. ending up getting accepted out of state, and while it was a hard transition, i wouldn’t change it at all! try to keep your head up and remember it all happens for a reason!

i got rejected from IU pre-II (early in the cycle and was my instate too) last cycle with a similar profile and 51x MCAT. it was SO hard because i realized i’d be leaving home and family for med school. ending up getting accepted out of state, and while it was a hard transition, i wouldn’t change it at all! try to keep your head up and remember it all happens for a reason!
It's particularly painful, because IU is probably the only MD interview I had a chance of getting and I couldn't even get that. I'm glad things worked out for you!

It's particularly painful, because IU is probably the only MD interview I had a chance of getting and I couldn't even get that. I'm glad things worked out for you!
i get it. and i think its okay to be disappointed for a minute about not going MD. i def felt that last year. that said, DO = physician, and that should hopefully be your end goal, not 2 specific letters after your name. if it's not, gently, i would genuinely recommend withdrawing your DO apps because, like goro always says, we don't need anymore self loathing DO's! i can tell you though, that once you get into DO, you quickly realize how bogus all the DO vs. MD stuff is, and how much no one really cares that much about it beyond pre-meds. you'll be working so hard, learning the same info, and you'll learn quickly how there far more important tangibles and intangibles that matter to your match beyond the letters after your name. so let yourself have a minute to be sad, but if your goal is to be a physician, nows the opportunity to practice the resiliency you'll need for the rest of your career! :)

Reactions: 2 users
3 MD IIs. After talking it over with friends, family, academic advisors, and a current DO resident, I decided not to apply DO. I also felt Elle's post really resonated with me. I have great respect for DOs and anyone who goes down that path, but it simply didn't align with my career goals as much as I wanted and I feel like I still have unfinished business with the MCAT. Perhaps it is silly for me to waste a year to try to retake, but I think that is the path that will make me the happiest. I also didn't want to get put into a situation where I applied DO, wasted interview spots for other people, and then decided that I didn't want to go. I'd kind of be stuck in that situation as declining an A is a very bad idea. I am currently restudying for the exam and am not nearly as bad at Biochem now! Physics is another story however hahaha. Thank you everyone for your input. I greatly appreciate it. I also feel like I can use the feedback in this thread for next cycle if I have to reapply, but crossing my fingers it works out this year!

3 MD IIs. After talking it over with friends, family, academic advisors, and a current DO resident, I decided not to apply DO. I also felt Elle's post really resonated with me. I have great respect for DOs and anyone who goes down that path, but it simply didn't align with my career goals as much as I wanted and I feel like I still have unfinished business with the MCAT. Perhaps it is silly for me to waste a year to try to retake, but I think that is the path that will make me the happiest. I also didn't want to get put into a situation where I applied DO, wasted interview spots for other people, and then decided that I didn't want to go. I'd kind of be stuck in that situation as declining an A is a very bad idea. I am currently restudying for the exam and am not nearly as bad at Biochem now! Physics is another story however hahaha. Thank you everyone for your input. I greatly appreciate it. I also feel like I can use the feedback in this thread for next cycle if I have to reapply, but crossing my fingers it works out this year!
have any of these II's translated to A's or WL's? congrats!!!