DO WAMC need advice with low stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeanne d'Arc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT: 499, both cGPA and sGPA: 3.45 using the AACOMAS definitions for science GPA. I do not feel confident about MCAT retake and am 100% only interested in primary care so I only want to apply to DO schools. Extras: Founder and President of the schools first and only DO club- 100 hours, Hospital volunteer- 170 hours, Homeless shelter- 50 hours, Tutoring Orgo and Physics- 300 hours, Another club officer position for 2 years- 250 hours, Research in 2 different groups no pub- 500 hours total, Student Government Committee Chair- 75 hours, Church volunteering- 150 hours, Job over winter- 100 hours, Shadowing IM- 120 hours

I want to know if this will get me in anywhere, even the newest DO school because either way I want to do primary care and every DO school is perfect for that. Serious advice on if I should do a DIY or a masters, but not SMP as that is too much of a risk for me. Strong upward trend from a 2.4 freshman year to 3.45 now. All my bad grades are in lower level prereq classes getting C's, however past 2 years have been A's in upper level bio/biochem/chem classes.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest all these schools with your stats:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
LECOM (all schools)
CHSU-COM
SAM HOUSTON STATE
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you should receive several interviews. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Reactions: 1 users
This is encouraging, I was about to quit for good after getting my MCAT. Liberty is off my list, they have a 501 mcat requirement anyways. I hope to bump my GPA closer to 3.5 by the time I apply and increase my hours in a few EC.

Reactions: 1 user