MD & DO WAMC? NC, 504, c3.57/s3.56

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ridgeridgeridge

Reaction score
Hi! I'd love to hear 1) suggested MD and DO schools to apply to and 2) any recommendations to make my application/EC's stronger. Thanks so much!
  1. cGPA: 3.57 sGPA: 3.56
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 1/2022: 499 (125,124,125,125) --> 1/2023: 504 (126,125,127,126)
  3. State of residence: North Carolina
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: White
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: Davidson College (#15 Liberal Arts school in the country)
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
    • 300+ clinical volunteering hours at Atrium Health and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital
  7. Research experience and productivity
    • Current post-bacc IRTA at the National Institutes of Health, anticipating 4,000+ hours
      • Going to present 2 posters this spring
      • Currently writing 1 systematic paper with my PI, planning to submit for publication this spring
      • Will write 1 paper next fall with my research group, will probably submit for publication next spring
    • ~500 hours of undergraduate research at Davidson College
      • 2 poster presentations
      • 1 paper currently under review
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • 10 hours of internal (only during clinic)
    • 10 hours of oral and maxillofacial surgery (during clinic hours and procedures)
    • 100 hours of plastic surgery (only during surgeries)
    • 20 hours of ENT (only during clinic)
    • 30 hours of neurology/neurosurgery (during clinic and surgeries)
    • 20 hours of orthopedic (only during clinic)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    • ~100 hours of non-clinical volunteering at Ada Jenkins, Earlier.org (finding an earlier detection for breast cancer), and soccer clinics in the Davidson community
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • D1 scholar-athlete, ~5,000 total hours
    • Selected as tutor for an upper-level mathematics course, ~200 hours
    • Mathematics major
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    • Selected to the Atlantic 10 Commissioner's Honor Roll all 4 years of undergraduate (basically a way to recognize scholar-athletes who maintained high a GPA during each school year)
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    • Upward GPA trend during undergraduate
    • Have really great LOR's
    • My science GPA would be a 3.79 if it didn't include all of my impossible math major courses :/
      • i.e. I did very well in my biology, chemistry, and physics classes

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have good ECs. Your only weaknesses are your MCAT scores of 499 and 504. You are competitive for most DO schools and I suggest these:
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
ACOM
PCOM (all schools)
WVSOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
LECOM (all schools)
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
NOVA
For MD schools I suggest these:
East Carolina
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
TCU
Your best chances are the DO schools.

~100 hours of non-clinical volunteering at Ada Jenkins, Earlier.org (finding an earlier detection for breast cancer), and soccer clinics in the Davidson community
Please itemize these hours and your responsibilities. 150 hours is the minimum threshold for most schools when it comes to community service that satisfies service orientation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please itemize these hours and your responsibilities. 150 hours is the minimum threshold for most schools when it comes to community service that satisfies service orientation.
  • Ada Jenkins: 20 hours, responsible for organizing storage closets, painting walls, and cleaning outdoor spaces of leaves, limbs, and trash.
  • Earlier.org: 80 hours, dedicated 10+ hours per semester to organizing fundraisers and collecting donations toward Earlier.org to help find an earlier detection test for breast cancer.
  • soccer clinics in Davidson community: ~12 hours, dedicated a couple hours after our own soccer practice each semester to give clinics to kids in the community. Taught them drills like dribbling, passing, shooting, and also skills like teamwork and perseverance.
Thanks for your input! I don't think I've seen anything about a minimum threshold, so that's good to know before heading into applications.

• Ada Jenkins: 20 hours, responsible for organizing storage closets, painting walls, and cleaning outdoor spaces of leaves, limbs, and trash.
  • Earlier.org: 80 hours, dedicated 10+ hours per semester to organizing fundraisers and collecting donations toward Earlier.org to help find an earlier detection test for breast cancer.
  • soccer clinics in Davidson community: ~12 hours, dedicated a couple hours after our own soccer practice each semester to give clinics to kids in the community. Taught them drills like dribbling, passing, shooting, and also skills like teamwork and perseverance.
Thanks for your input! I don't think I've seen anything about a minimum threshold, so that's good to know before heading into applications.
Most schools by the nature of the applicant pool will expect 100 to 150 hours to avoid getting eliminated at screening. I generally round up (like making sure you cook pork to 165 F...).

Most schools by the nature of the applicant pool will expect 100 to 150 hours to avoid getting eliminated at screening. I generally round up (like making sure you cook pork to 165 F...).
Great to know!! Thanks so much!

Reactions: 1 user