[WAMC] Medical school list - 3.73 cGPA, 3.61 sGPA, 518, ORM, NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1027718

Hey everyone

here are the schools I plan on doing:

NY BASED: StonyBrook (alma matter, again tho the committee letter thing might be an oof here), Albany, Albert Einstein, Hofstra, Sinai, Buffalo, NYMC, NYU Lagone (not the free ultra hard to get into NYU), Upstate, Downstate

NY REACH: Cornell

OOS: Boston, Case Western, Emory, Dartmouth, Ohio State, Warren Alpert, Tufts, UPittsburgh, Umichigan, UMassauchusets, Cincinnati, Quinnipac

Stats

NY, ORM, Biology Major & Theatre Minor

GPA: 3.73 / 3.61 [both with massive upward trends if that makes a difference, started from a 2.93 overall my first semester]

MCAT: 518 (129/128/130/131)

Clinical hours: 480 (80 volunteering at hospital, 400 volunteering in a clinic) -> working as an EKG tech starting in June so I will update medical schools when that comes out. 40 hours of shadowing 2 different doctors.

Nonclinical Hours: ~1500 (~1400 hours in this one daycare I've been volunteering at since freshmen year of highschool, about 8 years, and then about ~150 from a soup kitchen project I set up late senior year of highschool that I continued to work in [not as a facilitator anymore, just as a regular volunteer] in college)

*Project was basically connecting my school with the kitchen and getting kids to be able to volunteer there / get school supported metro cards to go volunteer. Facilitated it / was the captain at the time.

Research: 920 (two labs, my first I have about 800 hours and absolutely hated it. When it started getting sloppy I finally left and joined my second lab [this year, 120 hours so far], and it actually focuses on child development, which I am interested in considering my years in the daycare). -> working in it during my gap year as well so I'll update if anything happens, but as of now nothing like a poster or anything to show for research.

Leadership: RA for 2 years (~1000 hours or so ish? Will get a more accurate count later). Was a TA 3 times (2 bio classes, 1 acting class). Was a fellow (like a TA but for a freshman welcome to college class). Was part of my hall council executive board for a year.

Nonclinical Work: 200 hours as a gym monitor

Awards: Outstanding Large Scale Event Award (hall council organized 3 events for college kids, one about sexual assault, the other first aid, the other about alcoholism - awareness events).

Hobbies: Baking, Boxing, Chess (somewhat now lol)

Rec Letters: PI (should be good, they're a sweet person and seem to like me), daycare (strongest letter I have), non-science (director of the theatre department, should be really strong he liked me a lot), two science (should be pretty good, they seemed sweet and liked me)

^ for each of them I did like an interview type thing for them to get to know me and my credentials.

POTENTIAL RED FLAGS:

(1) I have an IA because I lost a release key as an RA, reported it immediately. basically friend threw out the box I had it in by mistake. Been told this shouldn't be.... that much of an effect given its nature but still

(2) No committee letter. My letter writers were very late and passed the deadline. Normally my school would take me anyway but this year they were flooded with requests and could not add me on :(.

~24 schools
Should I consider adding schools that my GPA is average at, but my MCAT is like 75th+ percentile?

All of these are at least 25th percentile GPA, and mostly 50th+ percentile MCAT for their medians.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Check to see how this would appear in a Dean's certification letter by checking with your school's conduct office so you know how to disclose it. I'm sure you would have to do that anyway with your prehealth committee letter.

Check to see how this would appear in a Dean's certification letter by checking with your school's conduct office so you know how to disclose it. I'm sure you would have to do that anyway with your prehealth committee letter.
Already did, has to be reported as institutional action

Reactions: 1 user
You could add any of these schools to your application:
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
George Washington
USF Morsani
Western Michigan
St. Louis
Cincinnati