[WAMC] MD DO / School List 3.87 cGPA 3.81 Scpa 503 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zouzen

Reaction score
Hi alI am hoping for potential good take by someone familiar with the app process and chances- it seems without a pretty high MCAT, chances of getting into schools seem low. But I feel as if I have planned my last 4 years well, choosing volunteer experiences, research experiences and jobs that reflect what I am passionate about, and how it ties into medicine. I would love opinions on my thought process and maybe opinions on what schools I'll have a good chance at

GPA: 3.87 cum, 3.81 sci,
MCAT: 503
Major: Biomedical sciences with a minor in Philosophy
School : Community college (2 years), Sacramento State (2 years)
State: CA

Clinical Work Experience

Sutter Medical Scribe in Emergency Department 600 hours 1 year

Non clinical Work experience
Green Acres Plant Nursery
- Helped in organizing, sale of outdoor patio vegetables, required knowledge of all the veggies etc (6 months 350 hours)

"Tutor" Sacramento State
-Its actually called Peer Assisted Facilitator, but its really tutoring in a fancy way. (8 months) 140 hours

The Tutoring Center (Child tutoring)
-1 on 1 tutoring with children k-8 (5 months) 300 hours

Shadowing
65 hours of Internist shadowing
15 hours of out patient clinical shadowing

6 letters of rec,
2 professors 4 doctors

Research
Community College Research
-First student in brand new research team, very small, not very complex research- just focused on developing methods to extract coffee granules after brewing 11 months

Volunteering Clinical
UC Davis Medical Center Volunteer (11 months) 150 hours
-PACU and HENT department, regular boring volunteer stuff with some unique patient interactions

Volunteer Non clinical
Alchemist Farmers Market Volunteer
-Worked on distribution of EBT dollars (food stamps) to low income individuals so they get access to healthy local produce (2 years, 6 months) probably 52 hours

Food Bank Warehouse Volunteer
-Unload and load large amounts of food, distribute bags of food, clean warehouse, organize donated clothes, to low income individuals (7 months) 125 hours

Community Kitchen Volunteer
-Created and taught healthy recipes to all types of people, free local kitchen on the second floor of a popular co-op grocery store (4 months) 70 hours

Food Literacy Center Volunteer
-Worked in groups with children, cooking WITH them, teaching them about the benefits of fruits and veggies as an after school program in low income areas specifically (2 years 6 months) 20 hours

Organizations
-MAPS (Minority Association of Premedical Students) officer
-AMSA (American medical student association) officer
WFPB club Whol food plant based club president, founder at 3 college campuses

A bit more info:
Everything I do is around food, specifically access to healthy eating for all. This is important to me, and will be mentioned in my personal statement as I suffered from major medical issues at a young age due to insane obesity. Interactions with my doctor had influenced me to pursue medicine over the years due to the tremendous change that medicine and living more healthy can do; its simple but it means a lot to me, and I try to reflect that in my "package". I come from a family that is fairly well off, divorced and quite disconnected, but I never struggled with money even though I went to community college then a state school. My family had drug addiction issues which GREATLY influences my approach to my volunteer experiences, and general outlook on life.

Spanish proficiency: Plan to become fluent within the next 2 years for conversing.

Other cool stuff I am going to add:
I run a local community garden, anyone is welcome to plant or take food as long- free of charge. I work on it once a week in the country side (I live in a rural area)

Where I want to go to med school: Anywhere, really. I would love to do DO, I would love to do MD. I plan to practice family medicine due to its preventative aspect, so I think this makes it easier to get into schools that are primary care focused.

Thank you to whoever reads this. I am getting pretty apathetic and burnt out through this process, and would love some insight

This is my current list
CHSU-COM
TUCOM -CA
WesternU/COMP – Northwest – Lebanon, OR
WesternU/COMP – Pomona, CA
ATSU - KCOM
ATSU - SOMA
KCU-COM
DMU
KCU
LECOM (PA)
MU-COM
PNW-COM
VCOM - VIRGINIA
MSUCOM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nail that MCAT. There is a difference in lists we could provide between a 506 and a 510. And higher of course.

Geography: did you grow up near Sacramento/Davis? Have you talked with admissions staff at all the UC schools? How about DO schools since you say you're interested? I will say your interest in food security and nutrition is a plus since you have a lot of community service backing that up. Also, do you happen to have some Spanish fluency?

Reactions: 1 user
Nail that MCAT. There is a difference in lists we could provide between a 506 and a 510. And higher of course.

Geography: did you grow up near Sacramento/Davis? Have you talked with admissions staff at all the UC schools? How about DO schools since you say you're interested? I will say your interest in food security and nutrition is a plus since you have a lot of community service backing that up. Also, do you happen to have some Spanish fluency?
I live in Elk grove, right on the border of Sacramento. If you know where Wilton is, I live 0.2 miles away from the country. I have not talked to admission staff at UC schools, I am not sure if that would help me or not? Nor do I know if I have access to them. My resources were pretty limited. and I am interested in DO! so thats why I think my mcat wont be too big of an issue
And yes I can speak spanish fairly well. I forgot to mention that. I plan to become fluent in conversational spanish, the hispanic farming community is a population group I want to serve, it is something that is incredibly important to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely reach out. You have connections already with MAPS and AMSA to current medical students and the admissions offices. After you're done with the MCAT, hopefully with a strong score, reach out to the schools through those connections (MD and DO schools). I really hope you nail that MCAT. I will let my peers comment a little more on the clinical exposure (which seems okay to me).

Definitely reach out. You have connections already with MAPS and AMSA to current medical students and the admissions offices. After you're done with the MCAT, hopefully with a strong score, reach out to the schools through those connections (MD and DO schools). I really hope you nail that MCAT. I will let my peers comment a little more on the clinical exposure (which seems okay to me).
Thank you for your input. It means a lot. If I reach out to Davis for example, UC Davis med school ( one of my dream schools), what am I even supposed to say? Or to any school. I thought directly contacting admission committees was frowned upon. I thought my expressing my interests happen in the interview phase. so I am unsure of what to say before hand.

Clinical experience is good. Good luck on the MCAT. As Mr. Smile said, that will determine the best school list.

Clinical experience is good. Good luck on the MCAT. As Mr. Smile said, that will determine the best school list.
Are there even MD schools that will take a 505 lol, seems like absolutely not.

More doors would open up with a 508 or 510. UC Davis does look for mission fit as well given the geographic region they try to serve
Do you think its worth noting that "i want to do primary care" in my letter would be detrimental or beneficial? Maybe even saying "I want to serve X population because they mean Y to me" I genuinely DO want to serve the underserved hispanic community in CA, but it seems really cheesy to say that. But I know davis looks for that

Do you think its worth noting that "i want to do primary care" in my letter would be detrimental or beneficial? Maybe even saying "I want to serve X population because they mean Y to me" I genuinely DO want to serve the underserved hispanic community in CA, but it seems really cheesy to say that. But I know davis looks for that
I would encourage you to write along those lines for your personal statement and secondaries. I will defer to my colleague regarding networking but as a member and officer in MAPS and AMSA, I assume you brought current medical students or representatives from nearby schools such as UC Davis or Touro CA to speak. It would be good to reach out to them by introducing yourself again as a MAPS/AMSA member and discussing your plans to apply to medical school and what your goals in medicine are.

Even if your organization did not do that, you can find the contact info for the chapters at UC Davis or for current students who hold positions. See the below from a quick Google search for AMSA and Touro:

Hi alI am hoping for potential good take by someone familiar with the app process and chances- it seems without a pretty high MCAT, chances of getting into schools seem low. But I feel as if I have planned my last 4 years well, choosing volunteer experiences, research experiences and jobs that reflect what I am passionate about, and how it ties into medicine. I would love opinions on my thought process and maybe opinions on what schools I'll have a good chance at

GPA: 3.87 cum, 3.81 sci,
MCAT: 503
Major: Biomedical sciences with a minor in Philosophy
School : Community college (2 years), Sacramento State (2 years)
State: CA

Clinical Work Experience

Sutter Medical Scribe in Emergency Department 600 hours 1 year

Non clinical Work experience
Green Acres Plant Nursery
- Helped in organizing, sale of outdoor patio vegetables, required knowledge of all the veggies etc (6 months 350 hours)

"Tutor" Sacramento State
-Its actually called Peer Assisted Facilitator, but its really tutoring in a fancy way. (8 months) 140 hours

The Tutoring Center (Child tutoring)
-1 on 1 tutoring with children k-8 (5 months) 300 hours

Shadowing
65 hours of Internist shadowing
15 hours of out patient clinical shadowing

6 letters of rec,
2 professors 4 doctors

Research
Community College Research
-First student in brand new research team, very small, not very complex research- just focused on developing methods to extract coffee granules after brewing 11 months

Volunteering Clinical
UC Davis Medical Center Volunteer (11 months) 150 hours
-PACU and HENT department, regular boring volunteer stuff with some unique patient interactions

Volunteer Non clinical
Alchemist Farmers Market Volunteer
-Worked on distribution of EBT dollars (food stamps) to low income individuals so they get access to healthy local produce (2 years, 6 months) probably 52 hours

Food Bank Warehouse Volunteer
-Unload and load large amounts of food, distribute bags of food, clean warehouse, organize donated clothes, to low income individuals (7 months) 125 hours

Community Kitchen Volunteer
-Created and taught healthy recipes to all types of people, free local kitchen on the second floor of a popular co-op grocery store (4 months) 70 hours

Food Literacy Center Volunteer
-Worked in groups with children, cooking WITH them, teaching them about the benefits of fruits and veggies as an after school program in low income areas specifically (2 years 6 months) 20 hours

Organizations
-MAPS (Minority Association of Premedical Students) officer
-AMSA (American medical student association) officer
WFPB club Whol food plant based club president, founder at 3 college campuses

A bit more info:
Everything I do is around food, specifically access to healthy eating for all. This is important to me, and will be mentioned in my personal statement as I suffered from major medical issues at a young age due to insane obesity. Interactions with my doctor had influenced me to pursue medicine over the years due to the tremendous change that medicine and living more healthy can do; its simple but it means a lot to me, and I try to reflect that in my "package". I come from a family that is fairly well off, divorced and quite disconnected, but I never struggled with money even though I went to community college then a state school. My family had drug addiction issues which GREATLY influences my approach to my volunteer experiences, and general outlook on life.

Spanish proficiency: Plan to become fluent within the next 2 years for conversing.

Other cool stuff I am going to add:
I run a local community garden, anyone is welcome to plant or take food as long- free of charge. I work on it once a week in the country side (I live in a rural area)

Where I want to go to med school: Anywhere, really. I would love to do DO, I would love to do MD. I plan to practice family medicine due to its preventative aspect, so I think this makes it easier to get into schools that are primary care focused.

Thank you to whoever reads this. I am getting pretty apathetic and burnt out through this process, and would love some insight

This is my current list
CHSU-COM
TUCOM -CA
WesternU/COMP – Northwest – Lebanon, OR
WesternU/COMP – Pomona, CA
ATSU - KCOM
ATSU - SOMA
KCU-COM
DMU
KCU
LECOM (PA)
MU-COM
PNW-COM
VCOM - VIRGINIA
MSUCOM

Last edited:
Thread merged with the prior discussion on WAMC.

The only MD school that might be worth applying to is UC Davis in my opinion.

For DO, I suggest the following:

Touro CA
Western
Touro NV
KCOM
DMU
KYCOM
WVSOM
ACOM
PCOM (all campuses, both GA ones might be receptive to your rural background)
LECOM (all campuses)
KCU
NYIT-AR
Campbell
WCU
VCOM (all campuses except Monroe)

Thread merged with the prior discussion on WAMC.

The only MD school that might be worth applying to is UC Davis in my opinion.

For DO, I suggest the following:

Touro CA
Western
Touro NV
KCOM
DMU
KYCOM
WVSOM
ACOM
PCOM (all campuses, both GA ones might be receptive to your rural background)
LECOM (all campuses)
KCU
NYIT-AR
Campbell
WCU
VCOM (all campuses except Monroe)
Ty <3 :) I have already considered Davis and its my dream MD school. I was considering others but I have no connection with them tbh. Thank you for your reply. Nice to see you again a few months later than my prior post.

I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
PNWU-COM
TUNCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
UIWSOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
ACOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
ACOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)

I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
PNWU-COM
TUNCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
UIWSOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
ACOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
ACOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
I heard to avoid TOURO NY, has this changed?