This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keepgoing2022

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I’ll just post my stats and let y’all do your thing. Have you heard of anyone getting into dental school w/ these stats? Im currently 80k in debt w student loans, so I’m trying to grasp for any hope at this point. I took the DAT once after undergrad. My last hope to make up for my master’s GPA (if that’s even possible) is to get a 25+AA on the DAT. Im in my last semester of completing my master’s. Thanks for any and all feedback.

Undergrad GPA: 3.12
Grad GPA: 3.16
DAT: 20AA / 19 TS / 21 OC / 18 GC / 20 BIO / 23 RC / 18 QR / 15 PAT
EC’s: 2000+ hours as a dental assistant (worked full time for 3/5 of my master’s program)
600+ volunteer hours
4 LOR’s: 2 master’s profs + 1 dentist + 1 manager

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You think you'll get a 25+ DAT?? No I doubt it will compensate for a low graduate GPA below a 3.50. I hope you are in a favorable situation with state of residence. Grades do matter and not having a high graduate GPA is significant since it is your best chance to show you can pass hard science classes.

Reactions: 1 users
Where did you apply? what is your state residency? hows the app cycle gone?
Residency: FL
# of interview invites: 3

Applied to:
Marquette
NSU
Meharry
LECOM
VCU
UF
U Washington
U Buffalo
Western U
Tufts

I plan on applying for 3 cycles in a row before “letting the dream go.” Now as to how I can continue to improve my application besides DAT, volunteering, & work experience when my biggest downfall is my master’s GPA, I’m kind of at a loss. Any advice? Have you seen anybody in a similar situation get in?

Last edited:
You think you'll get a 25+ DAT?? No I doubt it will compensate for a low graduate GPA below a 3.50. I hope you are in a favorable situation with state of residence. Grades do matter and not having a high graduate GPA is significant since it is your best chance to show you can pass hard science classes.
I truly thank you for your response. I was just wondering if it would help at this point, but it seems like it won’t. I kind of blew my only shot to prove myself, huh. Have you heard of anybody getting in w/ similar grad gpa?

# of interview invites: 3 (Marquette, NSU, Meharry)

Applied to:
Marquette
NSU
Meharry
LECOM
VCU
UF
U Washington
U Buffalo
Western U
Tufts

I plan on applying for 3 cycles in a row before “letting the dream go.” Now as to how I can continue to improve my application besides DAT, volunteering, & work experience when my biggest downfall is my master’s GPA, I’m kind of at a loss. Any advice? Have you seen anybody in a similar situation get in?
you did great to get 3 interview invites
it only takes one acceptance...

# of interview invites: 3 (Marquette, NSU, Meharry)

Applied to:
Marquette
NSU
Meharry
LECOM
VCU
UF
U Washington
U Buffalo
Western U
Tufts

3 interview invites?? ur fine lol i’ve only gotten 1 and have a 3.7 masters. when did you apply?

3 interview invites?? ur fine lol i’ve only gotten 1 and have a 3.7 masters. when did you apply?
Hey, thank you for your response. More invites are for sure coming your way, with that GPA. For example, I heard that tufts interviews a lot of grad students in January. I applied mid July.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, thank you for your response. More invites are for sure coming your way, with that GPA. For example, I heard that tufts interviews a lot of grad students in January. I applied mid July.
i applied mid july as well hopefully we both hear good news soon! i wouldn’t worry about reapplying now. best of luck!!

I truly thank you for your response. I was just wondering if it would help at this point, but it seems like it won’t. I kind of blew my only shot to prove myself, huh. Have you heard of anybody getting in w/ similar grad gpa?
I'll never say it's impossible because I don't know how you presented yourself in the application, and I never try to predict what a committee will do. If you have 3 interview invitations, then focus on getting yourself enough practice and confidence to present yourself professionally. But speaking in probabilities, you don't do yourself a favor by having a low grad GPA, and from my work with committees, GPA will grab more attention and is more reliable a predictor of early success in dental school than DAT.

I'll never say it's impossible because I don't know how you presented yourself in the application, and I never try to predict what a committee will do. If you have 3 interview invitations, then focus on getting yourself enough practice and confidence to present yourself professionally. But speaking in probabilities, you don't do yourself a favor by having a low grad GPA, and from my work with committees, GPA will grab more attention and is more reliable a predictor of early success in dental school than DAT.
if you get an interview does that mean your acceptance then depends on your interview performance? or do ur stats still factor in the decision ?

if you get an interview does that mean your acceptance then depends on your interview performance? or do ur stats still factor in the decision ?
it depends on the school...

Your statistics could still play a role in any final decision, but how it is weighed and considered with the other information such as your interview performance will vary with the schools.

I received an acceptance. Anything is possible!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey all,

I’ll just post my stats and let y’all do your thing. Have you heard of anyone getting into dental school w/ these stats? Im currently 80k in debt w student loans, so I’m trying to grasp for any hope at this point. I took the DAT once after undergrad. My last hope to make up for my master’s GPA (if that’s even possible) is to get a 25+AA on the DAT. Im in my last semester of completing my master’s. Thanks for any and all feedback.

Undergrad GPA: 3.12
Grad GPA: 3.16
DAT: 20AA / 19 TS / 21 OC / 18 GC / 20 BIO / 23 RC / 18 QR / 15 PAT
EC’s: 2000+ hours as a dental assistant (worked full time for 3/5 of my master’s program)
600+ volunteer hours
4 LOR’s: 2 master’s profs + 1 dentist + 1 manager

Aim high but I think you'll be fine as long as you get at least 23 AA on DAT. Make sure you improve on your PAT too. You got this.