MD WAMC: Low GPA High MCAT help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chappy1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, first time user here. Looking for any advice in narrowing down/tackling my school list with the following general information. I've always read other posts and am trying my hand at asking based on my own situation... so any insight is appreciated!

3.36 c and sGPA (I believe my sGPA is actually slightly higher but not by much)
520 MCAT (C/P = 130, CARS = 129, B/B = 130, P/S = 131)
Minnesota resident
White
Went to a very average state school

~4400 hours (2 years at full time) clinical paid work. Direct patient care in ICU and OR. Work closely in teams with doctors on a daily basis. My job also entails rounding on patients and taking call. Run heart assist devices during open heart surgery and cath lab.
~45 hours clinical volunteering at a children's hospital
~400 hours volunteering non-clinically (Was a camp counselor for disabled camper i was paired with, years ago. Currently in a year-long mentorship program with a disadvantaged youth from my area I got matched with, where we meet and do life learning activities together 2-3 hours per week. I also organized a unique service event for a women's shelter that doubled as a meet and greet between med students and premeds, all of whom volunteered)
~0 hours actual research. Did do a pathophys class that required my reading and synthesizing information from about 100 journal articles, so hopefully this (along with my MCAT) show research literacy at the least.
~50 hours shadowed, all MD (internal medicine, pediatrics, anesthesiology, and orthopedic surgery)
~leadership = 1) my mentor program, 2) group leader at a completely student-organized and run volunteer organization that takes service trips over winter break in college, 3) alumni relations chairman at my college fraternity
~ Other stuff: final two years with upper level science courses at a 4.0, so I have the trend. Luckily, I have strong letter writers to vouch for me as well.

**I plan on applying across the board. But, with my service/volunteer experience, my current plan is to focus more on mid-to-low tier, service-oriented MD and perhaps some DO as well. Looking for anyone with insights regarding tackling MSAR, school list, etc. Also, could I get screened out of more "safety" schools because of my MCAT even though my GPA is so low? Do I even have a chance for top-20 without research and with my GPA?**

School List:

Minnesota Twin Cities
Creighton
TCU
Loyola Chicago
Boston University
Rosalind Franklin
Quinnipiac
NOVA MD
NOVA DO
Rocky Vista (DO)
Temple
Drexel
Georgetown
MCW
UVM
NYMC
U of Colorado
U of Washington

I don't know what to think about my GPA being at or below 10th percentile while my MCAT is at or above 90th... this is true for most schools I'm applying to. How do I formulate a school list when 1) my stats are so mismatched and 2) so many schools value undergraduate research? Or am I overthinking my lack of research? Really just hoping my MCAT catches some eyes, after that I just need to make sure my statement and secondaries are on point! Thank you all for your input!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello. Can you reframe your information to the WAMC template? We need hours, demographics, and experience descriptions according to the template.
I just updated my original post!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
U Washington admits less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in the Northwest and Boston University is a reach.
You could add these MD schools:
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
George Washington
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
Quinnipiac
Also add more DO schools and consider:
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
PCOM
CUSOM
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
AZCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY

U Washington admits less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in the Northwest and Boston University is a reach.
You could add these MD schools:
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
George Washington
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
Quinnipiac
Also add more DO schools and consider:
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
PCOM
CUSOM
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
AZCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
Thank you for the input, do you have any suggestions as to the proportions i should dedicate to MD and DO?

I was thinking around 5 DO myself, just needed to research them a little more. I still have trouble reconciling my GPA when I think about MD schools, do you believe that an MD-heavy application cycle would be a smart decision or should I lean more towards 50%DO and 50% MD? I have experience working with both doctors and they are equally impressive in my mind.

I was thinking around 5 DO myself, just needed to research them a little more. I still have trouble reconciling my GPA when I think about MD schools, do you believe that an MD-heavy application cycle would be a smart decision or should I lean more towards 50%DO and 50% MD? I have experience working with both doctors and they are equally impressive in my mind.
You can apply heavily MD but you need DO schools also because of your GPA.

• Love
Thank you @Faha. @Goro You seem to always have valuable input regarding reinvention as well. Would you mind reading my post and providing any thoughts you have, including some "must-have" schools for my school list in your opinion?

Good for you! After 45 years as a physician I too am equally impressed with both MD’s and DO’s. Let’s put that bias to rest!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
You mentioned helping organize an event at the women's shelter. It would help if you extended that and volunteered to help with day to day operations. Your GPA is very low for most MD schools. You should apply to Duluth too. Do you have any trends?

Remove Colorado, NOVA DO and Rocky Vista (DO). Colorado is likely a donation and the other two have had problems. You will have enough DOs if you follow Faha’s list.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Trend: 3.2 year one, 2.5-2.9 years two-three, 4.0 for my final 2.5 years (stayed an extra semester for a class I was invited to).

I uprooted my living situation when I'd had enough of my underperformance (I knew I needed a different environment if I wanted to really finish strong) and it worked out well. First in my class in a couple of my upper levels with professors writing my letters, which could help.

Deciding between my amazing job I currently have and attending an SMP was tough, but I believe I made the right choice. I can't change the student I was earlier in school, and if I need to eventually invest in an SMP I can still do that!

Really looking for schools that may "bite" on my MCAT (mainly), my stark turnaround in grades (did I do this in time?), and then my subsequent 2 years of a phenomenal premed job (in my opinion the highlight of my application. I could answer many secondary/interview questions just based on this job alone).

You mentioned helping organize an event at the women's shelter. It would help if you extended that and volunteered to help with day to day operations. Your GPA is very low for most MD schools. You should apply to Duluth too. Do you have any trends?

Remove Colorado, NOVA DO and Rocky Vista (DO). Colorado is likely a donation and the other two have had problems. You will have enough DOs if you follow Faha’s list.
Thanks for the school input.

This event was day-to-day for me. I went to the shelter every night after work for an entire summer to work on the art project, as well as securing free or reduced cost materials. I won't divulge any more details, but it was labor-intensive to even get to the point of the "finale"... which was the premed/medstudent event to create the finished project. So the experience was more longitudinal than I described it as.

Thanks for the school input.

This event was day-to-day for me. I went to the shelter every night after work for an entire summer to work on the art project, as well as securing free or reduced cost materials. I won't divulge any more details, but it was labor-intensive to even get to the point of the "finale"... which was the premed/medstudent event to create the finished project. So the experience was more longitudinal than I described it as.
Day to day as in being a service to the people the shelter helps. Not on an art project. With the details so far, it comes across as a something you created on your own to decorate the facility, which is in itself different from your earlier comment that you organized a service event/meet and greet day.

Day to day as in being a service to the people the shelter helps. Not on an art project. With the details so far, it comes across as a something you created on your own to decorate the facility, which is in itself different from your earlier comment that you organized a service event/meet and greet day.
I see. No, my volunteer work was not directly involving the individuals at the shelter. This is unlike my other service experiences that have been far more relationship-based... but I still felt it was very much worth my time and effort. The program director wanted to improve the children's portion of the shelter, so I simply offered to make that happen for them.

I see. No, my volunteer work was not directly involving the individuals at the shelter. This is unlike my other service experiences that have been far more relationship-based... but I still felt it was very much worth my time and effort. The program director wanted to improve the children's portion of the shelter, so I simply offered to make that happen for them.
It is a worthwhile cause. Since you already have an existing relationship with them, that is why I suggested you try to do more hands-on volunteering there if you are still near that location.

Your last 2.5 years of coursework is great. I assume that is about 50-60 credits of a 4.0? That can open doors to schools that will reward your effort to reinvent yourself.

It is a worthwhile cause. Since you already have an existing relationship with them, that is why I suggested you try to do more hands-on volunteering there if you are still near that location.

Your last 2.5 years of coursework is great. I assume that is about 50-60 credits of a 4.0? That can open doors to schools that will reward your effort to reinvent yourself.
Correct, it's my last 56 hours.

Unfortunately, I'm living and working pretty far from the shelter... but I like knowing that people can continue enjoying our efforts even if we're no longer there! Thank you, @chilly_md for your input; I'm using all the advice I can get to organize a successful application!

Correct, it's my last 56 hours.

Unfortunately, I'm living and working pretty far from the shelter... but I like knowing that people can continue enjoying our efforts even if we're no longer there! Thank you, @chilly_md for your input; I'm using all the advice I can get to organize a successful application!
I would suggest these additional MD schools given you have shown you are completely different student from before:

NYU
Columbia
WashU
Vandy
Dartmouth
Mayo
Mt Sinai
Keck
Temple
UCSF
EVMS
Hofstra
Emory
Vermont
Miami
Drexel
Albany
Tufts
NYMC
TCU/UNT
Tulane
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Netter
NovaMD
USF (maybe)

I would suggest these additional MD schools given you have shown you are completely different student from before:

NYU
Columbia
WashU
Vandy
Dartmouth
Mayo
Mt Sinai
Keck
Temple
UCSF
EVMS
Hofstra
Emory
Vermont
Miami
Drexel
Albany
Tufts
NYMC
TCU/UNT
Tulane
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Netter
NovaMD
USF (maybe)
Interesting list. A few of those (the jesuit schools) are near the top of my own list, as is DMU and the Tuoros as suggested earlier!

Would agree with adding Mayo. We like MN residents and your MCAT, GPA trend, and clinical experience may put you within striking distance.

Would agree with adding Mayo. We like MN residents and your MCAT, GPA trend, and clinical experience may put you within striking distance.
Thank you for the comment. Massachusetts and Minnesota are my only two regional preferences (if I end up with any choice in the matter), so this is welcome information.

OP, what are your year by year GPAs?
Chances for MD best with U MN.
@Goro As I prepare to submit my application, I was wondering if you might provide some brief input as well? I am using suggestions from this forum, some medical students I know, and my own research on each school's website to formulate my final school list, and because you seem to be the "reinvention guru," I'd really appreciate your thoughts as well. I will be applying MD and DO.

Some questions I have beyond the normal school suggestions: Your thoughts on percentage MD vs. DO? Your thoughts on what tier to focus on, as my GPA and MCAT are very difficult to match to schools?

Thanks much!

NYU (maybe)
Columbia
WashU (maybe)
Vandy
Dartmouth
Mayo
Mt Sinai
Keck (maybe)
Temple
UCSF
EVMS
Hofstra
Emory
Vermont
Miami
Drexel
Albany
Tufts
NYMC
TCU/UNT
Tulane
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Netter
NovaMD
@Chappy1 , I think chilly's list is excellent. I have removed a few schools that do not seem to reward reinvention.

ADD:
Vandy
Wake
Rosy Franklin
Rush
Loyola
U MN
BU
Duke
DMU
CCOM (but watch tuition)
MSUCOM
MUCOM
LECOM (all)
all Touros
KCOM
KCU
PCOM
both Westerns

@Goro thank you for your input, and the same to everyone else!