WAMC hypothetical veteran/FD background

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FDtoDOfosho

Reaction score
Ladies and Gents,

I’ve never posted in these forums so apologies in advance if I’m in the wrong place.

thank you for taking the time to read my story. I’m considering a self directed Post Bacc to finish some prerequisites and boost my GPA a bit. Like many veterans, my military career began first with an immature attempt at college in 2008 where I mustered a 2.14 GPA when I wasn’t busy partying in Iowa City. I joined the Air Force in 2009, and have since finished a Bachelors in Business (3.72 GPA) and 3 prerequisite courses that I was trying to manage during a deployment run up that didn’t go well. I have been an EMT since 2014 and worked as a civilian firefighter since I switched from active duty to the guard in 2013. Recently, I have been taking a class to get my Advanced EMT and it has rekindled my desire to go to medical school. My total GPA is 3.11, and SGPA is terrible, 2.2 something. Given that I still need to complete a considerable amount of prerequisites do you guys think its worth the time and effort?

also I’ve been told that I might be a more competitive applicant for PA school once I get some prerequisites knocked out (I think that has to do with my background) can anyone speak to this?

Members don't see this ad.

Being a veteran can give you a huge advantage in applications. In your position I’d take the prerequisites and try to get that sGPA up to 3.0. You’re in the running for both MD and PA schools. A lot of your success will also depend on your MCAT and story (why Medicine now). But you do have a long road ahead.

Being a veteran can give you a huge advantage in applications. In your position I’d take the prerequisites and try to get that sGPA up to 3.0. You’re in the running for both MD and PA schools. A lot of your success will also depend on your MCAT and story (why Medicine now). But you do have a long road ahead.
Thank you Banco!