Medical WAMC/how to decide on which medical schools to which I should apply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I am starting to think about where I want to apply, and wondering if any of you had any input, as I am a bit overwhelmed and not sure where to start! Thank you :)
Also this contains a lot of identifying information so I might delete later, thank you so much!

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 3.8 sGPA, 3.88 cGPA (significant upward trend, I think both are around 3.9+ if freshman year is excluded)
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 518: 129/128/130/131
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Will have to look into this, I did my undergrad in CA but went home for the pandemic and am now back here, but I will not have been here for 366 days continuously by the time I apply (this is a CA residency requirement for tuition purposes)
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Indian-American
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: UCLA
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 250 hours hospital volunteering; somewhere between 800-1000 hours as a medical assistant for a cardiologist
  7. Research experience and productivity: Probably 1000+ hours of research, 4 papers (one from a class), none are first author.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: around 60 hours shadowing a pediatrician and internist, but saw a lot of how patient care looks for cardiology + I have seen simple surgical procedures at the hospital at which I volunteered
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: around 300+ hours tutoring children experiencing homelessness
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Currently in my first gap year, working in a translational research position at a renowned medical school with a PI I have worked with in the past, but also been doing a lot of volunteering/exploration of hobbies/reading/writing/ etc. just for fun, which I plan on putting all together in one entry for hobbies. Policy and education director for club focusing on making campus safer in terms of sexual violence/empowering survivors/educating students (Ran an educational internship with co-director, helped figuring out policies to lobby for, etc.); staff writer for feminist newsmagazine (only first two years of college); volunteering for Dems in Virginia the past two elections
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Just some academic stuff. Phi Beta Kappa, Magna cum laude, Dean's list for many quarters.
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: I plan on mentioning to some significant child abuse/trauma (NO gory details) that I have faced and overcome in my personal statement/adversity prompt, which plays into why I think I have the capacity to handle the rigors of medical training. Also, I took a wide variety of liberal arts classes just for fun in college in addition to the courses required of me, and I also plan on elaborating why I think that's a strength in the diversity secondary. I'm also trilingual, but lack perfect fluency in one of the languages.
Thank you so much!
I mean, what would you like us to say? Your chances are very good.

It's basically impossible for us to give you a good school list until you clarify your state of residence, other locations that would be amenable to you, and what you want out of med school. But so long as you apply to schools with a good mix of competitiveness, I would expect you to be accepted somewhere.

Finally... please don't ever tell someone that "my GPA is a 3.8, but would be 3.9+ if you excluded Freshman year." That's just tacky.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest:
NYU
Columbia
WashU
Vanderbilt
Yale
JHU
U Chicago
U Penn
Northwestern
Harvard
Mayo
Cornell
Stanford
Case
Duke
Sinai
U VA
BU
Baylor
UCSF
Pitt
USC/Keck
UCSD
UCLA
U MI
Rochester
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
UTSW
Dartmouth
Western MI
USF Morsani
SUNY-SB
Brown
U MA
U IA
Albert Einstein
Emory
Tufts
NYU-LI
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
U WI
U CO
U VM
Your state school
Kaiser

You are competitive. Keep in mind that California schools are extremely competitive and sometimes it can feel like a crapshoot getting into one of them. I see you want to go to UCLA again so you can keep going to Fat Sal's, but you need to make sure to apply broadly. Get a good mix of competitive and "not as competitive" schools and then throw in a few established DO schools as well. This will give you the best chance of getting accepted and not having to repeat applying. The one issue with students not matching with stats like yours is:

1. Applying too top-heavy
2. Having bad LOR they didn't know about
3. Bad interview skills

Make sure you don't do #1, you can work on #3, and hope you chose good LORs that you trust so you don't have #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.