MD WAMC/Help with School List: 517/4.0, Mediocre ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VortexBrawler

Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    • 517 (130/129/129/129)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    • Indiana
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    • ORM/Arab American
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    • Purdue University
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    • 400 hours as a hospitalist scribe (non-volunteer)
  7. Research experience and productivity
    • Currently 350 hours in a virology lab, could be 400-450 by the time I apply
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • 50 hours shadowing across 3 specialties
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    • ~50 hours in the animal shelter
    • ~50 hours at a food bank
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • Scribe Trainer: 100 hours
    • Worked as a liaison to a dance team for their competition at my school: 70 hours
    • Walmart Sales Associate (don't know if I should include this in my application): 100 hours
Currently debating on whether or not I should just apply IU Early Decision.

School List
UCSF
Stanford
NYU
Michigan
Wash U st. louis
Columbia
Duke
UCLA
Cornell
Yale
Feinberg Northwestern
Mayo
Pritzker U chicago
UCSD
Mount Sinai
Case western
Cincinatti
Vermont
Ohio State
Rochester
Indiana U
Hofstra
Einstein
Dartmouth
Stony Brook
Miami
Boston U
U of AZ – phoenix

Let me know if any more information is needed!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Less experience with research or non-clinical volunteering lowers your chances quite a bit at schools like Stanford, UCLA, and University of Chicago. Another 100 hours at the food bank would help for all schools.

You should meet with IU and specifically have them review your app and share their thoughts about your competitiveness for ED.

I suggest:

IU
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Case
Mayo
Vermont
Rochester
Einstein
Hofstra
Dartmouth
Miami
USF
Nova MD
Western Michigan
Colorado
Brown
Tufts
Wake
Iowa
UVA
Jefferson
Temple
Hackensack
Brown
Quinnipiac
George Washington

Reactions: 1 user
Get more community service experience: your lack of mission-fit due to your lack of community service can cause you to be screened out at many schools. Go with chilly_md’s list

Members don't see this ad :)
Less experience with research or non-clinical volunteering lowers your chances quite a bit at schools like Stanford, UCLA, and University of Chicago. Another 100 hours at the food bank would help for all schools.

You should meet with IU and specifically have them review your app and share their thoughts about your competitiveness for ED.

I suggest:

IU
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Case
Mayo
Vermont
Rochester
Einstein
Hofstra
Dartmouth
Miami
USF
Nova MD
Western Michigan
Colorado
Brown
Tufts
Wake
Iowa
UVA
Jefferson
Temple
Hackensack
Brown
Quinnipiac
George Washington

Thanks for your reply! Realistically, I could get 100 hours total before needing to submit my IU ED application in early June. Would this suffice? I could get 150 total by late June. Additionally, I plan on continuing to volunteer at the food bank throughout my senior year. Should I include projected hours, and would that mean anything to admission committees?

Thanks for your reply! Realistically, I could get 100 hours total before needing to submit my IU ED application in early June. Would this suffice? I could get 150 total by late June. Additionally, I plan on continuing to volunteer at the food bank throughout my senior year. Should I include projected hours, and would that mean anything to admission committees?
Projected hours do not count for much.

For ED, you would have to ask them specifically. 150 by the end of June would be sufficient for the schools I listed out.