WAMC- GPA 3.96/ 518 MCAT- ORM in FL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angitha Reji

Reaction score
n

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What does your 100 hours of volunteering at the cancer institute involve ? Online shadowing has little value. You need to accumulate 50 hours of in person physician shadowing before you submit your application.

Reactions: 1 user
What does your 100 hours of volunteering at the cancer institute involve ? Online shadowing has little value. You need to accumulate 50 hours of in person physician shadowing before you submit your application.
It's mainly just patient transport and front desk things.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's mainly just patient transport and front desk things.
Your lack of in person physician shadowing and clinical volunteering hours with patient contact will limit your chances for interviews. I suggest these schools with your stats and current ECs:
FAU
FSU
USF
UCF
NOVA- allopathic
UM
UF
FIU
Wake forest
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Tufts
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin

Your lack of in person physician shadowing and clinical volunteering hours with patient contact will limit your chances for interviews. I suggest these schools with your stats and current ECs:
FAU
FSU
USF
UCF
NOVA- allopathic
UM
UF
FIU
Wake forest
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Tufts
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Thank you! I will definitely look into those schools. I was wondering if volunteering at the needle exchange clinic would count as patient contact because I did intakes for patients.

Thank you! I will definitely look into those schools. I was wondering if volunteering at the needle exchange clinic would count as patient contact because I did intakes for patients.
Yes, but it does not involve direct care for patients such as in a hospital, outpatient clinic, hospice, etc.

I consider the needle exchange/harm reduction clinics to be clinic-adjacent but not necessarily "clinical" depending on what you all are doing. It is extremely important and timely, and the referral to more traditional clinical services when indicated is extremely important. I would lean on describing it as "non-clinical" and letting the adcoms decide whether to credit it as clinical... again, depending on what your tasks and responsibilities are. I encourage you to continue doing this activity for more hours to fulfill the service orientation competency.

Status
Not open for further replies.