This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

executivewaffle

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It seems like you'd have a pretty good application to one of these schools, the only thing you're missing is a good amount of clinical experience and volunteering. If I'm not mistaken these programs usually take applications in late summer/fall so you're either very early or way too late for matriculation this summer.

As many people on this forum say: your path to medicine is a marathon, not a sprint. You're in it for the long haul, i.e. get used to making plans in years rather than months. The fact that you've come to this realization too late to apply to start a formal post-bacc ASAP is just bad timing. If you do have the patience to wait to apply this fall for those top programs, then you can spend the intervening time volunteering and shadowing. In my not expert opinion you'd have a pretty competitive application, but keep in mind each of those programs admits just a couple dozen students per year. They are also ludicrously expensive. Pros: get more volunteering and shadowing (which you'll need to apply to med school anyway) Cons: waiting longer, paying a ****load of money if accepted, no guarantee at acceptance.

Honestly, if I were you I'd apply to a local state school and start an informal post-bacc instead of waiting to apply to a formal program with entrance once a year. You get to start classes now and really see if you're cut out for the difficulty of the classes before dropping $40+k. You continue to volunteer, shadow, study your ass off. That's what I'm doing!

Also regarding your math classes, I don't think the formal post-baccs care if you've taken maths. If you'd taken more than one class out of the BCP family then you might be disqualified.

My advice for everyone, premed or not, is to do whatever you want, whatever you can, and do your utmost best. Do not be afraid of sacrifice. Comfort can be poison to your dreams. Give as much as you can even if others do not reciprocate. Love your body, your mind, and your spirit. Respect yourself enough to take yourself to the next level. Test your limits. You are capable of more than you ever thought possible.

Love what you said here.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When did you apply? How much experience did you gain from March 2017 to the application? Do you think volunteering/shadowing helped to get in to post bacc or you have some other specific experience that helped?

When did you apply? How much experience did you gain from March 2017 to the application? Do you think volunteering/shadowing helped to get in to post bacc or you have some other specific experience that helped?

Messaged you.