WAMC for DO? (3.7/500)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

underthesea110

Reaction score
  1. cGPA = 3.7 and sGPA = 3.6
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 500 (123/125/125/127) and 499 on retake (123/125/125/126)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): NY
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Afghan female
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: small private 4 year college
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 300 hours clinical volunteering
  7. Research experience and productivity: 200 hours, no poster or publication
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 50 hours OBGYN
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 300 hours in total
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): 2 gap years - worked as tutor, worked in public health, I have a small business with 40k IG followers
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Dean's list, summa cum laude, yearly scholarship
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: I have to stay on the East Coast and am mostly interested in NY DO schools
I am planning a retake in September - should I apply and send my updated score to schools, or hold off on applying til next cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

You could receive interviews at some DO schools with your stats and I suggest these:
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
VCOM (all 4 schools)
UNECOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
UIWSOM
Noorda-COM
ATSU-SOMA
LMU-DCOM
BCOM
Apply this month and submit all your secondaries by July. You do not need to retake the MCAT for these schools.

You could receive interviews at some DO schools with your stats and I suggest these:
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
VCOM (all 4 schools)
UNECOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
UIWSOM
Noorda-COM
ATSU-SOMA
LMU-DCOM
BCOM
Apply this month and submit all your secondaries by July. You do not need to retake the MCAT for these schools.
Thanks for your help! Do you think I could get in to NYIT in New York?

Members don't see this ad :)
You could try but their MCAT median is much higher than your 500. Most of the schools I listed have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range.
Would it be possible to apply now and retake my MCAT and send my updated score? I'm not sure how it works. Or if they wouldn't be willing to give my application a second look after my new MCAT

Would it be possible to apply now and retake my MCAT and send my updated score? I'm not sure how it works. Or if they wouldn't be willing to give my application a second look after my new MCAT
You already have 2 MCAT scores so you can apply now. Schools will see you new MCAT scores when that score is available.

If you’re confident you can improve your score to 505+, retake in September and submit applications in October. (Obviously apply to a throwaway school prior in order to expedite AACOMAS processing.) NYITCOM tends to stop interviewing fairly early in the cycle, but you’d probably still have a shot at Touro-NY or LECOM-Elmira if you were to apply sometime in October.

Applying with a low MCAT score and then updating with a new score isn’t a good strategy. Your application might be filtered out by the time the new score is released, and adcoms receive too many applications to be able to really keep up with updates.

Reactions: 1 user