WAMC Dental Schools... help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sav25

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Date of submission: upcoming cycle
Overall GPA: 3.81
Science GPA: 3.5
DAT score: AA 19, no section lower than 19 other than QR 17
State of Residence: West Virginia

Undergrad Attended: WVU
Major: Exercise Physiology, Health Professions Emphasis
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes. Graduated spring 2019. Took a gap year and was accepted to medical school. I’ve my gap year I worked in the hospital and decided medicine wasn’t right for me. After reflection and exploration I landed on dentistry and loved it after shadowing.

Shadowing Experience: 100 in general dentistry, 1000+ in medicine
Volunteering Experience: 200+ Abroad on a prehealth trip. 50 for an organization that taught nutrition and physio at local elementary schools.
Research: 1 semester lab, 2 semesters clinical (1 as a preceptor)
Other Extracurriculars: Worked as a tutor for undergrad students with learning disabilities. Gap year of working as a medical scribe in the emergency department as well as in orthopedics clinic. Biology TA.
Relevant Honors or Awards: multiple off merit and work.
LOR type and strength: will have committee letter.
School list: WVU (IS), but would love to go to VCU.... any chance???
What other schools could I possibly apply to? Or is my DAT too low?

Members don't see this ad.

With a 19 DAT, it may be riskier to only apply to public schools so I would apply to some private schools if you are okay with their COA. If not, maybe retake the DAT? (this will depend on which schools you want to apply to. I think you'll be able to get into some schools with what you have but you'll have to apply broadly). Other than that, all the other stuff looks good - just make sure you have a stellar personal statement.

Add private schools such as Tufts, Touro, NYU. Maybe Temple as well. Could also add Maryland. I’ve seen people get in with 19 DAT just not the best odds. Make sure you apply early and have a solid PS.