WAMC, decent stats, questions regarding future plans and school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon1232222

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
N

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Date of submission: next cycle 2023
Overall GPA: 3.92
Science GPA: 3.90
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.88
DAT: 21 AA, 21 TS, 21 BIO, 20 GC, 21 OC, 23 PAT, 23 RC, 22 QR
State of Residence: rural FL
Undergrad Attended: 2 yrs Community College/2 yrs Top 5 University in FL (not a brag, just wish to be nonspecific)
Major: Biomedical Sciences, BS
Minority? Hispanic Male
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
25 hours each: 2 General Dentists, Endo, Ortho, and Perio.
OMFS and Peds are in the works and will be 25 hours each.

Volunteering Experience:
200 hours as busser and server at free, full service restaurant for underserved populations
84 hours at COVID-19 Drive Thru doing patient intake
200 hrs at local hospital

Employment:
1000 hrs retail
300 hrs gastro scribe
300 hrs as nondental pathology lab aid
1500 hrs as optho scribe

Please see Misc Info Heading for dental employment.

Research:
250 hrs in biology wet lab research, 2 poster presentations, and abstract publication
150 hrs dermatology clinical research aid

Other Extracurriculars: I keep 2 planted fish tanks, devote time to my dog, gym, and mountain biking.

Relevant Honors or Awards: Multiple scholarships, Dean’s list, made the All-Florida Academic Team (about 125 students chosen from all community colleges in FL).
LOR type and strength: 1 General Dentist (strong), 1 strong Orthodontist (strong), 1 nonsci (no idea, most likely generic), 2 sci (1 strong, 1 likely generic).

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:

- I have not taken A&P. Only solo Physiology.

- I am starting as an Orthodontics Assistant next month. I also have a job offer at another Dental Office as a sanitation aid. I may work at both jobs to diversify experience gained.

- I have been considering going back to school and taking A&P to allow me to apply to schools that require it. These schools are either affordable or offer in-state tuition after 1 year. If I do not take A&P, I can work more hours. The difference would be maybe 250 hours experience vs 1000+ hours. Question: what is the possibility of applying get accepted, THEN take these prereqs?

School list:
1. University of Florida
2. LECOM
3. NOVA
4. Maryland
5. Rutgers
6. Washington
7. Buffalo
8. UCSF
9. Creighton
10. Nebraska
11. Touro
12. Marquette
13. Louisiana State

I would like to apply to Utah, UNLV, UNC because they do instate after 1 year but they require A&P. Also, Iowa because relatively low OOS tuition.

This list was made using 2021 excel data I found here. For OOS, I chose schools based on nonresident pre-interest tuition and % of OOS applicants accepted. Am I missing any schools that would be a good match for me? General Dentistry is the goal, although I would be open to specializing.

I take criticism well. Please educate me. I am doing my best but know there is much more to be learned. Thank you for your help.
13 is too many for your stats
also too many private schools
take a&p, the difference in work hours is not significant
IS after one year is significant...

Members don't see this ad :)
13 is too many for your stats
also too many private schools
take a&p, the difference in work hours is not significant
IS after one year is significant...

Roger that. Will do. Thank you.

Have you connected to HDA chapters in your state? At schools of high interest in your list? SNDA?

No, no, no. I am not a member of any association. I will do my research. Is membership valuable to admissions committees? I am not sure if I would be able to get involved in person because I live in a rural area. I will email schools tomorrow to ask if they have any virtual workshops coming up. Other than virtual workshops, are there any other activities I should look out for? I took my DAT 2 days ago and had been putting off everything.

Reactions: 1 user
UW is very hard for OOS, maybe consider another public school. But if you're confident or really want to go, don't let me pursuade you to not apply there.

UW is very hard for OOS, maybe consider another public school. But if you're confident or really want to go, don't let me pursuade you to not apply there.
UW is also one of the most expensive schools in the nation, even more costly than most privates...

Okay, I did not see their 0.08% OOS acceptance. I was looking their instate after 1 year. I will replace them with another school. Taking A&P is going to open up more possibilities for me. Thank you.

No, no, no. I am not a member of any association. I will do my research. Is membership valuable to admissions committees? I am not sure if I would be able to get involved in person because I live in a rural area. I will email schools tomorrow to ask if they have any virtual workshops coming up. Other than virtual workshops, are there any other activities I should look out for? I took my DAT 2 days ago and had been putting off everything.
At minimum, you should see if they are virtual workshops. You can follow their social media.