WAMC - current applicant (help)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lanadelpey

Reaction score
Hi! Currently in the midst of the 2022-2023 cycle (first time re-applicant), need someone to be straight up and tell me if I'm being neurotic or not. I've had a few interviews already, the results of which I'll put at the bottom of this post.

cGPA and sGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 517 (Chem/phys 130, CARS 128, Bio 129, Psych/soc 130)
State of residence: Minnesota
Ethnicity and/or race: White
Undergraduate institution: Concordia College at Moorhead (private liberal arts institution)
Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 1400 hours as a medical scribe/clinical assistant at a small ENT office, 385 hours as a CNA in an Inpatient Eating Disorder unit, 840 hours as a CNA in med/surg and COVID units, 500 hours as a CNA in a nursing home (this was my first clinical experience back in my freshman year of college), just started a volunteer position at a large hospital in an underserved region of Minneapolis
Research experience and productivity: 560 total hours of field research for a professor at my school (project aimed to address quality of restoration of prairies in the state of Minnesota), involved in a virtual conference/poster presentation (National Conference on Undergraduate Research)
Shadowing experience and specialties represented: No shadowing experience due to COVID complications when I originally tried, although my current scribe job allows me the opportunity to get involved in procedures and shadow surgeries
Non-clinical volunteering: 120 total hours in food shelves, 8 hours I took to organize and direct my own food drive, 8 hours doing a volunteer project for the Minnesota DNR
Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Was on the executive team of a college organization focused on community service/community wellness, was a biology tutor, was a general chemistry TA, went on a leadership trip to Santa Fe that focused on diversity as well as inequalities and the intersections with environmental justice.
Relevant honors or awards: deans list every year
Anything else not listed you think might be important: Low income/1st gen in medicine. Writing was good, I had personal statement and secondaries proofread by multiple people.

I've had interviews at:
University of Colorado (waitlist)
University of Minnesota (decision to be released on February 15)
University of Iowa (no decision yet)

Do I have decent odds of getting into any of these schools? Am I just going crazy? Is it likely there will be yet another reapplication cycle for me? My pre-med advisor has me overthinking everything because she said I should've been interviewed at University of Minnesota right away because of my stats, but they didn't interview me until December.

Members don't see this ad.

Since you didn't post a WAMC before applying, it seems to be premature for us to comment definitively about "your odds" though you always have better chances with your in-state. GL with your in-state option. You could actually go 3 for 3 offers. You could go 3 waitlists (surprising, but I don't know how you interviewed or what you did on your AMCAS/secondaries). At least you didn't go 3 for 3 rejections post-interview.

Do any of those schools have student orgs catering to FGLI applicants? I know there is limited information and not a big national organization to help figure this out.

BTW: your scribing experience can be considered shadowing, depending on how you described it, so I am not worried about any lack of shadowing experience.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
There is no way we can speculate on any possible acceptances. We have to assume that your application is at least alright since you had 3 current interviews.

Did you have any interviews last cycle? If so how many and where? What were the outcomes? How did you significantly improve your application for this cycle? How are you improving your current application in case you have to reapply? Did you talk to anyone at any of the schools from last cycle to find out how to bolster your application?

Let us know what happens. Keep a good thought and good luck.