WAMC: Class of 2026!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lynne8832

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I am currently finishing up my first semester of my junior year and I am applying to vet school during this upcoming cycle (opens in January)
I was wondering if anybody could look over my info/stats and offer opinions/advice!
Thanks in advance!

20 year old South Carolina resident
Applying to: UGA, Mississippi State, Auburn, UPenn, UF, Colorado State, Illinois, Lincoln Memorial, Tufts, Tuskeegee (open to advice/suggestions in regards to schools!!)

Cumulative GPA: 3.73 (will be 3.75 after this semester)
Science GPA: I have not calculated this as I know that each school calculates it differently. Do most schools just consider their science prerequisite courses for the science GPA or would courses such as Introduction to Psychology, Orientation to Animal Science, and Livestock Exhibition Techniques count towards my science GPA?

Degrees:
BS Animal and Veterinary Sciences, Pre-Veterinary and Sciences concentration: Spring 2022

GRE Results:
Have not taken yet! I am currently doing a Magoosh online program and I am registered to take the GRE in mid-May. Hopefully that will give me enough time to take it 1-2 more times if necessary before submitting my application in August/September.

Veterinary Experience:
1,045 hours as a veterinary assistant at a small animal practice (paid employee)

- I had a variety of responsibilities in this role. I drew blood for heartworm tests and send-out laboratory tests, prepared and read a variety of tests (ear cytology, heartworm tests, fecal floats, urinalysis). I took radiographs as ordered by the veterinarian (abdominal/cervical/hindlimbs/forelimbs), assisted the veterinarians during exams, drew up and administered a variety of medications and vaccines, placed intravenous catheters prior to surgery, monitored during surgery, and extubated patients after surgery. I also observed a variety of procedures such as spays, neuters, mass removals, amputations, cesarean sections, and laceration repairs. I also cared for hospitalized patients, discharged surgery patients, and provided clients with post-operative instructions for their pet.

42 hours as a veterinary assistant at an AAHA accredited small animal practice (paid employee)
- This is a job that I work at while I am home from school and on breaks and I will continue to work here whenever I am home from college - will have about 100-120 hours at the time of application.
- I collect blood, fecal, and urine samples for send-out laboratory tests, type patient's SOAP notes, fill medications and preventions at the in-house pharmacy, place intravenous catheters prior to surgeries and dental cleanings, premedicate patients for surgery, intubate patients for surgery, set up surgical monitoring equipment (EKG, blood pressure monitor, pulse oximeter) and monitor anesthesia during anesthesia. I also perform dental cleanings using the tartar removing forceps, ultrasonic scaler, and polisher.

17 hours as an intern for a small/large/equine mobile veterinarian (intern)
- I literally just started this experience this week so I will have a few hundred hours at the time of application (will continue while I am home on breaks and this coming summer)
- I go to all farm/house calls, give injections to dogs, cats, horses, goats, pull blood for coggins, take radiographs of horses (stifle, forelimb, hoof, etc.), assist with horse exams, hold for/assist with goat castrations, volunteer at mobile vaccination clinics (small and large animals)

Animal Experience:
Equine: 3,000 hours
- Taking riding lessons, riding on Clemson's IHSA team for 2 years, teaching beginner riding lessons, showing horses, attending riding clinics
Small Animal Pet Sitting: 450 hours
- Pet sit for dogs and cats while owners are away
Large Animal Pet Sitting: 45 hours
- Pet sit for horses and dairy cattle, provide food/water/supplements, fly spray/SWAT multiple times per day
Introduction to Animal Science Lab (Undergraduate course): 20 hours
- I took this course during my freshman year in undergrad. I learned basic husbandry and care of dairy cattle, beef cattle, sheep, swine, horses, and poultry. I performed basic tasks such as trimming sheep's hooves, ear tagging cattle, freeze branding cattle, body condition scoring cattle, and bathing pigs.
Livestock Exhibition Techniques - Swine (Undergraduate course): 45 hours
- This was a semester long course that I took during my freshman year. I was assigned a pig to care for throughout the semester and I went to the swine farm once a week to feed all of the pigs and clean their pens. Throughout the semester, I learned how to properly show a pig for a livestock show and at the end of the semester I had the opportunity to show her at my university's livestock show.
Domestic Bunny Rescue Volunteer: 115 hours
- I currently volunteer at a domestic rabbit rescue that takes in abandoned and abused domestic rabbits. I clean their cages, refill their food, hay, and water and trim their nails and brush them. I also manage the rescue's social media pages, coordinate adoptions, drive the rabbits to and from their surgeries, and perform many other tasks for the rescue.
Animal Rescue and Sanctuary Volunteer: 20 hours
- I currently volunteer at a wildlife rescue where I work with the raccoons. I was required to be rabies vaccinated for this position and I bottle feed the baby raccoons, refill the raccoons food and water, and provide them with their medications. I also vaccinated all 100 raccoons against Distemper under the instruction of the rescue's veterinarian. (Had to get rabies vaccinated for this position)

Research: 73 hours (will continue until I graduate)
I am currently on a pseudoscience research team and I am researching veterinary pseudoscience and common pet care misconceptions. I compiled a list of about 30 true/false questions regarding basic pet care that I believe all owners should know. I had 2 veterinarians that I work for look over and sign off on my questions to ensure that they were all accurate and up to date medical information. I put together two surveys, one for cat owners and one for dog owners and each contains true/false statements regarding veterinary care misconceptions. The surveys were distributed and about 600 responses were received. We are currently in the data analysis phase of the project and will continue to create and distribute more specific surveys based on our findings of this preliminary survey. I am very passionate about the client - veterinarian relationship and client education and the goal of this research project is to highlight some of the veterinary myths that pet owners believe. I will continue to work with the veterinarians on this research project and we will create more surveys in the future.

Achievements and Awards:
South Carolina Life Scholarship Recipient
John C. Shelley Memorial Scholarship Recipient (Departmental Scholarship)
Albin S. Johnson Memorial Scholarship (Departmental Scholarship)
Dean's List (4/4 semesters)
Little North American Grand Champion
American Red Cross Adult CPR/AED Certified (through a course in undergrad)
American Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Certified (through a course in undergrad)
Human Subjects Protections Course Certified (for my research project)

Extracurricular:
FFA Secretary (high school)
FFA Vice President (high school)
IHSA Equestrian Team Competition Member: 550 hours
IHSA Equestrian Team Treasurer: 430 hours
Women in Animal and Veterinary Sciences Living Learning Community Member: 125 hours
Women in Animal and Veterinary Sciences Living Learning Community Mentor: 12 hours
Pre-Veterinary Club: 47 hours

Thank you so much for your help! :)
Additional Question: I know that VMCAS opens in January this year but isn't due until September 15th. Is there any advantage to submitting it early as opposed to early September (aside from less stress- lol)? I wanted to submit it early September because I want to make sure that all of my spring semester and summer veterinary experiences are included in my application so that my app will be as strong as possible. Does that sound like a good plan?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have much advice as far as your chances, but I can answer a couple of your questions. In my experience, Science GPA is usually just for the school's science pre-reqs, so your GPA may vary slightly by school. There may be more specific info on each schools' website (and you can always contact them). There is pretty much no advantage to submitting your application early. The only thing is your transcript has to be verified by VMCAS before it's sent to the schools, and the sooner you submit, the sooner you'll know if you're verified or not. If you wait until the deadline (like most people), they have more applicants to look through, so it takes longer. I submitted my first app around the end of Aug and was verified in three days. After you submit your application, you can continue to add experience (through about Oct). I also wanted to add that I think your research project is super cool, and I'd love to see the results when you're all finished!

No problem! I definitely recommend getting all of your experiences in by the deadline just to ensure that the schools will see them, but they’re supposed to still be able to see the ones you submit after the fact. I submitted one or two in early October. You don’t have to calculate your own science GPA. Each school does that individually, and I believe VMCAS will also give you a ballpark one after you’re verified. For transcripts, you’ll request a copy of your transcript from all colleges you’ve attend and have them sent to VMCAS. I also recommend having a copy sent to yourself because you have to input all of your classes, grades, credit hours, etc. into to app, and it’s much easier if you have an official transcript to go off of. After you submit, VMCAS will look at your transcript and the classes you inputted on you app and make sure that they match. If everything matches (save a few minor mistakes), your application is verified. It’s kind of annoying. You can pay to have VMCAS input everything for you, but it’s really not worth it. You can send your transcripts in at any point during the application period, but they won’t start the verification process until you submit your first application. Once you’ve submitted one, you don’t have to worry about a verification process for the rest of your apps.