WAMC c/o 2028 - Second Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbjamo

TAMU c/o 2028
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am reapplying to vet school this cycle after getting waitlisted at Texas A&M (IS) and rejected from Texas Tech (IS). I decided to cast a pretty large net this upcoming cycle. Everything underlined is a larger/new addition to my application.
I'm applying: Texas A&M (IS), Kansas State, LSU, UGA, Missouri, Mississippi, Wisconsin, Purdue, Illinois, Tennesse, Arizona, LIU

Otherwise, I'm - 22, TX, Biology B.S. (graduating Dec. 2023), traditional applicant (2nd cycle)

cGPA: 3.85
Science GPA: 3.77
Last 45: 3.78

GRE: Didn't take it- none of my schools considered it

Veterinary Experience:
- Veterinary Assistant in a small animal practice - 1650hrs (I was also working in kennels, so this is the division of hours that was spent with the vets during those two years.)
- 350 new hours this cycle
- Shadowing large animal veterinarian - 170hrs
- Veterinary Technician in an exotic animal practice - 400hrs (temporary tech position)
- Parvo ICU Veterinary Technician - 330hrs (also a temporary tech to help with summer overflow- located in a shelter)
- Shadowed an ICU vet - 4hrs
- Shadowed an equine vet - 60hrs
- Mixed animal vet - 180hrs

Animal Experience:
- Kennel Technician in a small animal practice - 1500hrs
- Rabbitry Owner - 1600hrs (I had a rabbit breeding business for several years. I probably undercut my hours, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't including the business side and just the caretaking)
- Pet sitting - 100hrs
- Small animal and exotic care at exotic animal practice - 40hrs
- Service dog training - 20hrs
- Equine Care at a Ranch - 10hrs
- Alpaca caretaking at Ranch - 12hrs

Research Experience:
- Dairy Cattle research - I worked with a professor at my university on a dairy cattle project. I was only needed for a semester. It hasn't been published yet. - 80hrs

Awards/Scholarships:
- Honor roll (4.0 semester x3) and Honors program
- Also have 4 awards from art competitions I included for non-academic awards.

Extracurriculars:
- Art Club (HS) - 3 years, 150hrs (president my final year, under leadership tab)
- Women's Club (HS) - 1 year, 72hrs
- Business side of the rabbitry (data keeping, social media, client communication, photos, etc.) - 3 years, 480hrs
- Student Government Org. - 1 year, Officer
- Served on my community college's governance council as a student member
- Pre-Vet Organization General member - 1 year, 64 hrs
- Pre-Vet Organization Officer - 1 year
- Service Dog Organization General member - 1 year
- Volunteered for SXSW - 55 hrs
- Mobile food truck - 4 hrs
- Note taking (through University Disability Center) - 37 hrs
- Community Service (working on it this summer- don't have an hours estimate)

Employment:
- Office Clerk (2 years)
- Shoe store (4 months)
- Seasonal sales associate

LOR:
- DVM I worked with for 3 years
- Large animal DVM I shadowed
- Exotics DVM I worked with as a temporary tech
- General Bio professor from community college
- Supervisor/LVT from a veterinary hospital I worked for

Concerns:
I don't feel like I've improved that much since last cycle. I've had a lot going on in my personal life that has made my ability to grow as an applicant a challenge, but I also don't want to take a gap year if possible because I'm already taking 6 months off from school (December grad this year). I got my application file/report back from the last cycle, and it looks like the biggest issue was my personal statement. Last cycle I worked with an advisor and an editor on my essays but it seems they still fell short- any other advice for reworking your personal statement?
I also would love some feedback on the schools I've selected- are there any that you would switch out?
Thanks and good luck to everyone this upcoming cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Assuming your letters and essays are all good your application looks great to me! A lot of this process has to do with luck, so I think casting a wider net and applying to more should help

Reactions: 1 users
Try using SDN people who volunteer to read personal statements. Have them look at what you used last year and any changes you've made for this cycle.

I think you will have better luck this cycle. You will be graduating with a degree and have a lot more classes on your transcript than last cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming your letters and essays are all good your application looks great to me! A lot of this process has to do with luck, so I think casting a wider net and applying to more should help
I feel pretty good about my LORS. The last two LORs will be new for this cycle because I previously applied only through TMDSAS (they allow 3 max). I think I am most worried about my personal statement, but I think I may know what's wrong with it. I also am going to utilize some kind of volunteers on the forums who are willing to read over mine! Thank you for the words of encouragement.

Try using SDN people who volunteer to read personal statements. Have them look at what you used last year and any changes you've made for this cycle.

I think you will have better luck this cycle. You will be graduating with a degree and have a lot more classes on your transcript than last cycle.
Thank you for the great advice- I didn't know there were people on SDN that read personal statements. Thank you for the feedback!