WAMC c/o 2028- 2nd time applicant, traditional; VMCVM waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crichard

Reaction score
21F, Maryland
I went out on a limb this year and applied a year early to LSU (declined prior to interview) and VMCVM (waitlisted after interview). As I am looking at schools to reapply/apply to next year, I just wanted some additional suggestions!

Cumulative GPA: 3.56 (increased from 3.4 last app cycle)
science GPA: 3.47 (last cycle)
last 45: 3.4

Any degrees achieved
I will have my BS Biology May 2024

GRE results: Don't plan on taking

Animal Experience:
  • 325 hrs -Horse owner/boarder at barn. I own two horses myself and got my first own horse in 2019.
  • 144hrs- Dog walker/handler. This was a summer job that I had walking dogs for a boarding kennel.
  • 420hrs- Missionary to Honduras Horsemanship Project. Went to honduras for duration of 5wks to work with horses on an orphanage/provide maintenence (ie. tick removal, training, farrier work)
  • 6,550hrs- Student/Live-in Ranch hand on Dude and Guest Ranch. Lived on a dude and guest ranch for a year while in school (15 yrs old). We were responsible for caring for and medicating farm animals including but not limited to sheep, goats, horses, cows, and chickens.

Research Experience:
  • None; I am very much not interested in research medicine (or really research in general). Hoping this is not a deal-breaker for admission.

Awards/scholarships:
  • Deans List Spring 2021
  • Deans List Fall 2020
  • SU Competitive award (4yr academic scholarship through my university)
  • SU Academic Scholarship (4yr academic scholarship through my university)
  • Founder's Scholarship (4yr academic scholarship through my university)

Extracurriculars:
  • 108hrs- Independent competitive dancer for 1yr; 6yrs previously with a studio.
  • 204hrs- Cheerleader and Varsity Captain during high school (3yrs fall and winter season)

Employment/Veterinary Experience:
  • 1,440hrs- Shift leader at Qdoba. I worked here part-time during high school and some shortly after graduation.
  • 525hrs- Veterinary Receptionist Sm. animal GP
  • 664hrs (ongoing)- Part-time ER Veterinary Technician (Small animals, pocket pet exotics, avian)
  • 2,438hrs (ongoing)- GP Veterinary Technician (small animal)

***I do not have 2 semesters of Organic Chem! Only 1 semester. This may impact some requirements for Biochemistry prereqs as well. I am not sure that the biochem i took counts as "upper level" but I will have to consult each individual school about that. I have a more thorough breakdown on this post that I made a few days ago: Biochemistry and Organic Chem- Vet school prereqs... I have questions

I also plan on doing an application review with VMCVM as soon as I can. I think there is an opportunity later this semester according to their Admissions Advisor, Shelby.

Ideally I want to go to VMCVM as it is the smartest for me financially, but also know that I should keep my options open for veterinary programs further away as well. As of now, my goal as a veterinarian is small animal ER/Equine GP. I am not all that interested in schooling abroad or in the Carribean, as I want to stay as close as I can to my family in Maryland. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: