WAMC c/o 2027 had to withdraw a quarter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mercyfriend

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m 22 y/o CA resident. I did a WAMC before but I changed some stuff a bit and also have a major concern now. Really wanna stay close to CA so I’m applying to Oregon, Arizona, UC Davis, and WesternU.

Cumulative GPA: 3.7
science GPA: 3.68
last 45: 3.84

BS in Molecular and Medical Microbiology from UCD

GRE results: Q153(48%)/V154(53%)/W5(92%) (I’m retaking it in the middle of July)

Veterinary Experience:

- local small animal general practice - 2720 hr
- emergency vet hospital - 400 hr
- wildlife rehabilitation center - 264 hr
- vet clinics for homeless/low income - 128 hr
- intern at veterinary teaching hospital - 112 hr
- husbandry intern for poultry farm used for research by a vet - 112 hr
- highschool intern at local hospital - 40 hr

Animal Experience:
- bird rescue - 8 hr lol
- does working with bees count

Research Experience:
- undergraduate researcher for entomology lab ~50 hr
- lab assistant for plant pathology lab - 384 hr

Awards/scholarships:
- scholarships from high school
- valedictorian from high school
- deans list for two quarters

Extracurriculars:
- prevet club
- club to support diversity in vet field
- club for community service
- one of the coordinators for a vet clinic for homeless

Employment:
- lab tech for clinical lab at veterinary teaching hospital - 550 hr

Major concern: I had to withdraw for a quarter for mental health reasons and now I graduated 2 quarters later than expected. I put in my explanation statement that it was a COVID related reason (tbh it sorta is) but I didn’t mention mental health, just that I survived. Also I know my application is a lot less stellar than a lot of people. I’m just tryin to sneak into the waitlist and hopefully be accepted eventually 🥲

I greatly appreciate everyone and wish everyone the best!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Oh man am I not gonna get in this round 🥹🥹🥹 oh boy oh jesus I am a worry

I do know that withdrawing from an entire quarter looks better than withdrawing from multiple classes in different quarters/semesters!

I would personally explain your mental health situation and how you overcame that. Schools admire resilience. Also "...if a school doesn't want you to disclose things (mental health, physical, other struggles, etc), is that really a school you want to attend" - admissions counselor

vet clinics for homeless/low income. --- this is cool. talk about this.

I'm not in vet school, I'm applying this cycle too. Take what I say with a grain of salt. I think you have really nice stats and good, diverse experience.

Your GPA and experiences are very competitive. Definitely include working with the bee’s and also include some non vet related employment or hobbies to show that you can de stress outside of vet school. As far as withdrawing for a semester I would talk about mental health and not as much about COVID. Everyone was affected by COVID and a lot of people will use their disadvantage essay to talk about the pandemic so you wont get much sympathy if its another COVID essay. You had a real mental health struggle that you overcame and thats the story they want to hear. If you blame it on COVID then you may be compared to everyone else who blamed things on COVID and those people might not of withdrawled for a semester.

I think you have a great chance though. I had the same GPA and the same amount of experiences and I was sucessfull last cycle. I would consider adding Illinois to your list because after your make the initial GPA cutoff at phase 1 then academics are no longer looked at which means if you got past phase 1 then your withdrawl wouldnt even be acknowledged.