DO WAMC (asking for a friend), 3.5 gpa, 500 mcat, Tx Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted889426

Hi all,

I am actually asking for my friend. What are her chances at DO schools? Could anyone also critique the school list? She is particularly interested in her chances at TCOM. Thanks!

GPA: 3.55c, 3.45s
MCAT: 500
Tx resident
Research: 2.5 years (?) will update when confirmed
Community Outreach: ~200hrs
Clinical Shadowing: ~200(?) will update when confirmed

school list:
UIW
NOVA
MSUCOM
KCUMB
ATSU-SOMA
RVCOM
KYCOM
VCOM
CUSOM
BCOM
ACOM
LMU-DCOM
TUNCOM
LECOM

@Goro @Faha

Members don't see this ad.

MSUCOM has a strong instate preference but otherwise her list is good. She could add a few more schools such as:
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
WCU-COM
WVSOM

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I am actually asking for my friend. What are her chances at DO schools? Could anyone also critique the school list? She is particularly interested in her chances at TCOM. Thanks!

GPA: 3.55c, 3.45s
MCAT: 500
Tx resident
Research: 2.5 years (?) will update when confirmed
Community Outreach: ~200hrs
Clinical Shadowing: ~200(?) will update when confirmed

school list:
UIW
NOVA
MSUCOM
KCUMB
ATSU-SOMA
RVCOM
KYCOM
VCOM
CUSOM
BCOM
ACOM
LMU-DCOM
TUNCOM
LECOM

@Goro @Faha

I think TCOM is a tossup. Your friend is decently below their matriculant stats (3.65ish cGPA 3.6ish sGPA 506ish MCAT) - which is not to mention their accepted stats - and her ECs don’t sound particularly impressive. Not bad or anything, but not really compensatory for the low-end stats.

I think she should complete and submit TMDSAS to all schools and cross her fingers (particularly those with no or free secondaries, of which TCOM is one), but she should have tempered expectations.

Anecdotal: I have a friend who made it in off the waitlist with a 499/3.7 last year, but his ECs were excellent.

Do you think she has a fair shot at interviews? Also thank you for the responses!

Yes, she is applying to all Tx school cause it is hella cheap. I never really realized it was that cost effective ( I’m a Ca resident and didn’t apply in tmdsas). Thank you for the reply.

Do you think she has a fair shot at interviews? Also thank you for the responses!

I think she has some chance at interviews in Texas, but they’re not great.

The lower-stat schools tend to focus on regional candidates. The medium-stat schools are generally out-of-reach because of their higher medians, but potentially the research (Texas schools, in general, really like research - especially UTSW, UTMB, UTH, and TCOM; to a lesser degree, UTSA) and other ECs could overcome that gap at some schools and gain a late-season interview. The higher-stat schools I think are totally out-of-reach for her.

It’s hard to say without having the whole application, but her chances don’t look great for Texas. Her stats are below the average applicant in Texas (3.55cGPAish 504ish).

I think she has some chance at interviews in Texas, but they’re not great.

The lower-stat schools tend to focus on regional candidates. The medium-stat schools are generally out-of-reach because of their higher medians, but potentially the research (Texas schools, in general, really like research - especially UTSW, UTMB, UTH, and TCOM; to a lesser degree, UTSA) and other ECs could overcome that gap at some schools and gain a late-season interview. The higher-stat schools I think are totally out-of-reach for her.

It’s hard to say without having the whole application, but her chances don’t look great for Texas. Her stats are below the average applicant in Texas (3.55cGPAish 504ish).

When you talked about the low stat/medium stat schools, are you referring to the Texas schools, or the DO schools, or both? I think she has a preference for Texas, but is not opposed to leaving for DO. I guess my question is how OOS friendly are the DO schools on her list? Thank you, I really appreciate it!

When you talked about the low stat/medium stat schools, are you referring to the Texas schools, or the DO schools, or both? I think she has a preference for Texas, but is not opposed to leaving for DO. I guess my question is how OOS friendly are the DO schools on her list? Thank you, I really appreciate it!

The schools I mentioned in my other post are all Texas schools - both MD and DO. By lower-stat, I am referring to UT El Paso (MD) and UT Rio Grande (MD). I think TCOM is in a gray area between mid and low. It’s difficult to know because I can’t find their published accepts as opposed to matriculants.

I continually forget that UIWSOM exists. I’m not sure what their stats are, but they would probably be in that lower-stat group. I think your friend actually has a decent shot at UIW with her stats and ECs because it is a new school.

None of the TMDSAS schools are OOS friendly at all. In fact, I would argue all of the TMDSAS schools are some of the most unfriendly to out-of-staters in the country. Texas state law requires that all Texas public medical schools fill their class with at least 90% Texas residents, and this is a lower boundary. Some schools (TCOM and others) go as high as the 93-95% range (17 OOS in class of 230 last year). UIW is a private school and is not part of this rule.