WAMC? Applying for c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raywildcat

KSU CVM C/O 2026
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to these forums but very excited to find a place with other students just like me!

I have just completed my junior year, and will graduate with my Bachelors of Environmental Science spring of 2020.

Associates of Natural Science, May 2018- Summa Cum Laude

Cumulative GPA: 3.8
Science GPA: 3.7
Last 45 semester GPA: 3.74

GRE scores V/Q/W
153/147/4.5
(61%)(26%)(82%)

Experience:
~1000 hours Kennel technician at a small animal hospital (restraining animals, helping with xrays, reading fecal samples, shadowing veterinarians and vet techs closely, administering medications and insulin)

~2-3 hours shadowing exotic surgery

Many hours shadowing spays, neuters, lump removals, and 3 foreign body exploratory surgeries
scrubbed in on two abdominal exploratory surgeries, assisted in a cat spay by completing right side of cat.

~15 hours shadowing livestock farmer, helping feed cows and drop off hay bales
Have also watched a few goat neuters

Research:
~750 hours working in the Herpetology department on two projects: both involving measuring of specimens for raw data before using programs and DNA snippets to determine if speciation has occurred in 2 populations of amphibian species. (closer to 600 by the time I send in applications)

Will also be traveling abroad for 3 weeks in June to help as an undergraduate researcher in several projects with my department

Non-related work experience:
Internship with the National Forest Service: May 2017-August 2017 ~300 hours shadowing and working with National Forest Service employees at a ranger station located in Mark Twain National Forest. Land surveys, timber sales, brush, tree, and debris clean up from a huge storm in May, and general reception services for the last 2 weeks of the internship.
Crew member at Chipotle: August 2017-April 2018

Awards/Honors:
College:
Presidents Honor Roll: 3 semesters
Deans Honor Roll: 3 semesters
Stutzke Scholarship: Fall 2018
A.S Natural Science: Summa Cum Laude

High School:
graduated top 10 in class of 2016
Cheerleader captain 2015-2016 (leadership role)
Voted most athletic in class of 2016
Sectional qualifier in Track and Field 2016
numerous medals won in track events 2012-2016
Marching band Section leader 2015

Extracurriculars:
~40 hours volunteer work in food pantry with Salvation Army

EcoAmbassadors club

research internship (summer 2018-current)

Presented my research at an undergrad research symposium hosted by KU in July 2018

Solomon Island REU (3 week trip on Tetepare island, research on bats)

LOR:
3 from the veterinarians I have worked close with
1 from my research P.I
1 from the dean of admissions at my university
Schools I am applying to:
Mizzou (in state), CSU, ISU, K-State, and possibly LSU.

So, what do you guys think? I am nervous but excited the time has finally come to begin applications!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think your chances are pretty good. GPAs look good, you have a decent amount of small animal experience. Make sure the schools don’t require large animal as well.

Curious about the LOR from the dean of admissions - is this someone who knows you personally?

I think your chances are pretty good. GPAs look good, you have a decent amount of small animal experience. Make sure the schools don’t require large animal as well.

Curious about the LOR from the dean of admissions - is this someone who knows you personally?
Yes, at my university we have an exchange program that allows us to apply to take classes at the larger university in our city. In order to do this, we have to fill out applications, have a good academic and overall standing, and have a letter as to why we need to take classes at the university. He has been the one to approve all of my applications, and has allowed me to take more than one class (special permission) based on everything. I wouldn’t say we are expectionally close, but he does know about my personal goals and what I do around campus. I do have a second person in mind, the student success coach that I have worked with very closely during the past 3 years of school, that I am debating asking instead. I feel like she may know me more personally, so that is something that I have been thinking about the past few days. I haven’t asked either yet, but was planning to later this week

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, at my university we have an exchange program that allows us to apply to take classes at the larger university in our city. In order to do this, we have to fill out applications, have a good academic and overall standing, and have a letter as to why we need to take classes at the university. He has been the one to approve all of my applications, and has allowed me to take more than one class (special permission) based on everything. I wouldn’t say we are expectionally close, but he does know about my personal goals and what I do around campus. I do have a second person in mind, the student success coach that I have worked with very closely during the past 3 years of school, that I am debating asking instead. I feel like she may know me more personally, so that is something that I have been thinking about the past few days. I haven’t asked either yet, but was planning to later this week
And when I say ask I mean choose between the two.. I am still leaning towards the Student success coach now more than anything the past few days

Go with who knows you best and can write a GOOD lor and not just something generic.
Thank you! I see you around these threads all the time and I really appreciate any feedback!

Reactions: 1 user
For what it is worth I had GPAs almost exactly like yours, and the exact same quant score. My verbal score was high but I definitely didn’t get along with the GRE quant section. I would probably take it again if I were you, but your GPAs are good so GRE is probably not a deal breaker. Research experience helps a lot...so talk it up! Schools like it and I’m pretty sure my research experience is what really made me stand out. Honestly, some schools won’t even read more than three LORs so pick the people who know you best. I ended up with four but I think if you do too many it ends up being too much but that’s just my opinion lol.

What schools are you applying to?

For what it is worth I had GPAs almost exactly like yours, and the exact same quant score. My verbal score was high but I definitely didn’t get along with the GRE quant section. I would probably take it again if I were you, but your GPAs are good so GRE is probably not a deal breaker. Research experience helps a lot...so talk it up! Schools like it and I’m pretty sure my research experience is what really made me stand out. Honestly, some schools won’t even read more than three LORs so pick the people who know you best. I ended up with four but I think if you do too many it ends up being too much but that’s just my opinion lol.

What schools are you applying to?
Thank you for this! I am taking the GRE June 4th again, because I want to raise my scores atleast a little bit (fingers crossed). I have also just found out that I will be published soon, a co-author on a paper based on my research, so that is very exciting news. I wanted to do 5 only because all 3 vets I work with are such a amazing doctors, with one specializing more in exotics, and the other 2 small animal. But I also wanted my P.I because he is the one who has helped me develop my research skills and worked with me the past few semesters. As for the 5th, she is a reference from my university, something I felt would be important. Do you think that is too much? I’ve already asked all 3 doctors, and my P.I

Thank you for this! I am taking the GRE June 4th again, because I want to raise my scores atleast a little bit (fingers crossed). I have also just found out that I will be published soon, a co-author on a paper based on my research, so that is very exciting news. I wanted to do 5 only because all 3 vets I work with are such a amazing doctors, with one specializing more in exotics, and the other 2 small animal. But I also wanted my P.I because he is the one who has helped me develop my research skills and worked with me the past few semesters. As for the 5th, she is a reference from my university, something I felt would be important. Do you think that is too much? I’ve already asked all 3 doctors, and my P.I
If they will all be STRONG letters, go for it. Some schools specify they will only read 3 but I think usually will ask which 3 you want them to read in their supplementary part on vmcas and then some others say they will read up to 6.

Reactions: 1 users
I retook my GRE this morning, unofficial scores of V 153 Q 147.. so didn’t raise quant at all lol but my verbal went up! I wish I had done better but I’m glad I tried again

Hey guys,

If you look at my comment history, I applied with stats I felt I could be proud of and am excited for this application cycle.

Then, organic chemistry came along. After scoring 15 points lower on the final than I needed to get a C, and no curves or extra assignments I could do to help my grade, I earned myself a nice D+ on my transcript for this semester.

I know it’s not a failing grade, but to me it really is. I’m retaking it next semester( because I need a C or above) with a different professor and a fire under my butt to succeed. However, I have an interview at KState on January 10 and an interview at Mizzou in the spring (in state). I am retaking it, but do you think turning in my transcripts from this fall is going to cause my chances to fall drastically? I had a 3.8 when applying, a few Bs scattered throughout, but nothing like this. I’m hoping that because I’ve never had a letter grade like this, that they’ll understand that one class I struggle with doesn’t make me a bad student! And I know that organic chemistry has a history behind it, but I guess I want some peace of mind and advice because KState is my dream and I’m so scared I messed it all up

Is organic chem a prereq for both schools? It is a problem if so because grades have to be a C for acceptance, and it would be a gamble that you might not have a passing grade until spring, but it will be up to the schools if they are willing to give you that chance.

Yes it is a prereq for both schools, but with my other stats (As in physics 1 and 2, an A in chem 1 and B in chem 2, for example) I was hoping it would be seen as a fluke. Which it was, it was a point based class with the majority being tests and I didn’t do well on a test which dropped my grade drastically. I was hoping that because I’ve shown I can handle taking 16-19 credit hours a semester that one class wouldn’t cause a flat out rejection! Thank you for the feedback

Yes it is a prereq for both schools, but with my other stats (As in physics 1 and 2, an A in chem 1 and B in chem 2, for example) I was hoping it would be seen as a fluke. Which it was, it was a point based class with the majority being tests and I didn’t do well on a test which dropped my grade drastically. I was hoping that because I’ve shown I can handle taking 16-19 credit hours a semester that one class wouldn’t cause a flat out rejection! Thank you for the feedback
It certainly stinks. The issue I see is that there are an overabundance of qualified applicants, so it would be easy to put you on the back burner for someone who has already passed all the prereqs. Kill your interview though, and keep your fingers crossed they just want you enough to overcome this hiccup.

And to add to this, I’m going to work really hard to earn a much better grade. I know which areas I need to practice more on, what I did well in, etc. I just wanted some feedback from anyone who retook a class after receiving an interview and were accepted. Kstates website says as long as you can finish the prereqs by the end of the spring the year you would attend (so next semester) then you are eligible. So going off that it shouldn’t be a problem?

It certainly stinks. The issue I see is that there are an overabundance of qualified applicants, so it would be easy to put you on the back burner for someone who has already passed all the prereqs. Kill your interview though, and keep your fingers crossed they just want you enough to overcome this hiccup.

Thank you! You echoed what I’ve been saying to myself, hoping my interview goes well enough for them to want me despite this whole situation! I guess I’ll update when I find out lol