(WAMC and school list) X-ray Technologist w/ 4.0 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lime all the time

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am looking to apply end of June 2020 for the 2020-2021 cycle. What are my chances? Also, I would like some help with a school list assuming I preform higher on the actual MCAT after studying.

Thanks in advance!

Demographics
-White Male
-Ohio Resident

Education
-Graduating with a Neuroscience BS (May 2020)
cGPA: 4.0, sGPA: 4.0 <- should stay like this
Local public state university

-Associates of Applied Science in Radiology (May 2018)
Local community college
GPA: 4.0

MCAT
-AAMC FL 1: 507(126/128/126/127) (Aug 19’) - Taken without studying
-I will begin studying in a month for an official test date of May 29, 2020.

Clinical experience (non-volunteer)
Radiology (X-ray) Student (clinical education) - (1000 Hours) (16-24 hr/wk for 4 semesters)
-Clinical learning with half of my hours at a level 1 trauma center and the other half at a health center, free standing ER, orthopedic clinic, and smaller medical center.

X-ray Technologist - (1600 Hours) + [250 additional expected by application] (25hr/wk for over a year so far)
-At Level 1 trauma center with hundreds of hours working with physicians in orthopedic surgery, endoscopy, and emergency medicine including many level 1 traumas.
-Additional direct patient contact on patient floors and with outpatients.
-Nominated by several coworkers for best new radiologic technologist in the region (did not win sadly, but had the most nominations, so at least there’s that)

CT (CAT Scan) Technologist – [900 Expected] (will work 25hr/week)
-Promoted to a CT position and will start training next week.
-Will predominantly work with outpatients, ER patients and Interventional Radiology procedures using CT.

Clinical experience (Volunteer)
Local ER and Patient support on inpatient floors (50 Hours) + [10 Expected] (5hr/wk for 3.5 months so far)
-I will stop this activity soon as I have probably enough clinical experience through my job.

Research experience and productivity

Neuroscience Lab (120 Hours) + [200 expected] (~10hr/wk for 4 months so far)
-Just started this summer
-I will be completing an Honors project next term.
-So far, I only have a 3rd author poster presentation with a possible mid author paper by the end of next semester.

Shadowing experience and specialties represented

Other than experience gained through working…
Diagnostic Radiology (4 Hours)

-I will be working on adding more here. I am looking into shadowing a ER doctor, Interventional Radiologist, and primary care doctor next semester and after graduating.
-Looking to have around 60 hours

Non-clinical volunteering
Soup kitchen in downtown neighborhood (70 Hours) + [130 Expected] (5hr/wk for 4 months so far)
-Started this Summer
-Absolutely love doing this especially due to my cooking background

Helping adults with developmental disabilities work out at a YMCA (24 Hours) (1 week)

Other extracurricular activities
TA for a cadaver based anatomy Lab (55 hours) + [55 expected] (~6hr/wk for 2 months over the summer)
-will TA again in the Spring

Cadaver dissection to prepare for use as a teaching aid [~20 Hours expected]
-will do next semester

State Radiology Society - Student Leader (100 Hours) (varied hr/wk for over 1 year)
-One of four students selected to represent all radiology students in Ohio
-Redesigned the society logo, attended board meetings, and helped with two student forums

Church Finance Committee voting member (10 Hours) + [10 expected] (>1 hr/mo for over 1 year so far)
-Moderately large organization

Cook at a hospital (2600 Hours) (22 hr/wk for over 2 years)
-Employee here before job in x-ray during x-ray school.
-Employee of the Quarter

Relevant honors or awards
Winning team at a Radiology quiz bowl competition
-17 Ohio universities and community colleges competed

Winning team at case study competition hosted by a School of Pharmacy
-Teams consisting of medical, pharmacy and nursing students and one radiology student (me) competed

LOR’s
Several options on who I will ask/already asked to write them. Should all be pretty good.

GAP Year Plans
-Increase hours to full time in CT at level 1 trauma center to continue to save up money
-Continue to volunteer at soup kitchen 5hrs/week
-Continue to do research 10hrs/week
-Propose to girlfriend :)

School List
MD:
All Ohio Schools, Creighton, Stryker, Loma Linda, Utah, Eastern Virginia, Virginia
DO: OU-HCOM, ATSU-SOMA, AZCOM/MWU, RVUCOM, RVUCOM S. Utah, WVSOM

-Definitely need help with my list…

Members don't see this ad.

Really depends on your MCAT score. ECs look solid. 505 for DO schools, 510 for state MD schools, 515 for mid-tier schools, and 520 for top-20s sounds about like what you’d need. The ECs and 4.0 mean you might be competitive with an MCAT a couple points below this. The 507 on your first practice test, cold, is an encouraging sign.

Reactions: 1 user