WAMC and school list 2.4/2.6 super non-trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc2Be93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE
  1. cGPA: 2.6 (including post-bacc)
  2. sGPA: 2.4 (including post-bacc)
  3. Postbacc sGPA: 3.1 (I started out rough. Jumped in straight from undergrad and still didn't know how to study..clearly)
  4. Last 30 credits: 3.9 (all in 4000 level science courses--Virology, Immunology, Cell Bio, Bio Cancer, Biotechnology, etc)
  5. MCAT 505 (125/128/125/127)
  6. State: Florida
  7. Ethnicity: Black female
  8. Undergrad: private local undergrad
  9. Clinical experience: 550 hours (scribing, hospice, and hospital volunteering)
  10. Non-Clinical Volunteering:
    1. 275 hours (foodbank)
  11. Non-Clinical Work:
    1. Worked as a tutor through a work-study program all through undergrad
    2. Worked as a lab technician
    3. Server for 4+ years
I graduated undergrad in 2015 and had NO idea what I was doing. Is my upward trend, MCAT, and volunteering enough?

Members don't see this ad.

What support do you have in your postbac coursework? Before starting college, what was the nature of your college prep coursework in high school, and did you take community college courses? Are you connected with mentoring organizations like SNMA or MAPS?

What support do you have in your postbac coursework? Before starting college, what was the nature of your college prep coursework in high school, and did you take community college courses? Are you connected with mentoring organizations like SNMA or MAPS?

In regards to postbac, I just decided to stop being lazy and realized I make As when I apply myself (I hope I'm answering your question? Please elaborate if I didn't). I attribute my low undergrad grades to immaturity and pure laziness. I wish I had a better 'excuse' but that's the truth. I was too concerned with partying. Hindsight is 20/20 but I just want to make sure I do all I can to have a viable application. My gpa is pretty much plateaued because I have wayyy too many credits.

In high school, I barely tried but still graduated with a 3.8. If I had to name something I learned from HS, I couldn't tell you. I was in all honors classes and most of our grades came from 'busy work'. I did not take any community college courses. The entirety of my postbac was at a local public 4 year university.

I am not connected with SNMA or MAPS. Is it too late for me to get involved with such organizations?

Members don't see this ad :)
You could receive interviews at some MD schools but your best chances will be at DO schools.
I suggest these MD schools:
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Charles Drew
Florida State
U Florida
Central Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Miami
NOVA MD
Tulane
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Indiana
Vermont
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
For DO schools I suggest these:
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
ACOM
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
LMU-DCOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
KCU-COM
BCOM
Noorda-COM
DUQCOM (new school)
Orlando (when it opens)
If you are applying this year you should submit your MD application no later than July and all your secondaries by August. For DO schools try and be complete by September.

Reactions: 1 user
You could receive interviews at some MD schools but your best chances will be at DO schools.
I suggest these MD schools:
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Charles Drew
Florida State
U Florida
Central Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Miami
NOVA MD
Tulane
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Indiana
Vermont
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
For DO schools I suggest these:
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
ACOM
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
LMU-DCOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
KCU-COM
BCOM
Noorda-COM
DUQCOM (new school)
Orlando (when it opens)
If you are applying this year you should submit your MD application no later than July and all your secondaries by August. For DO schools try and be complete by September.
Thank you so much Faha! I've been perusing these forums for years and it's so nice to finally be in a position to get a list.

Hi, due to the recent decision, do I even have a chance at this point? I was extremely worried prior and now my anxiety has doubled.

Hi, due to the recent decision, do I even have a chance at this point? I was extremely worried prior and now my anxiety has doubled.
Yes, the Supreme Court decision will not affect admissions at the HBCU schools and your MCAT is competitive for all the DO schools I listed. The Florida MD schools I listed are also possible.

Yes, the Supreme Court decision will not affect admissions at the HBCU schools and your MCAT is competitive for all the DO schools I listed. The Florida MD schools I listed are also possible.

Thank you Faha. Are there any other particular schools I should remove/add at this point? I greatly appreciate your help.

The SCOTUS decisions will change things on the back end, but as long as you articulate your mission fit and alignment with the schools on your list, we will see how it goes. To affirm, I would anticipate you would not have an issue at the HBCU MD schools.

Reactions: 1 users
The SCOTUS decisions will change things on the back end, but as long as you articulate your mission fit and alignment with the schools on your list, we will see how it goes. To affirm, I would anticipate you would not have an issue at the HBCU MD schools.
Thank you!

Yes, you sure do. Despite those idiots on the Supreme Court, we need URM doctors.

Faha's list is good, but I can't recommend brand new schools, ARCOM, nor LMU

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, you sure do. Despite those idiots on the Supreme Court, we need URM doctors.

Faha's list is good, but I can't recommend brand new schools, ARCOM, nor LMU
I was absolutely gutted at the decision but your words provide me with some solace. I had a lot of choice words for those 'justices' but I will leave it at idiots for now. Thank you, wise Goro!