MD WAMC: 523/3.73, ORM TX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vkpatel1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You applied too top heavy without the ECs to back it up. It seems if you started hospice volunteering in June 2021, you also had 0 clinical experience. That is why your application was not considered. All you had was 200 hours of research. University of Washington does not take OOS students who aren’t from WWAMI states and most out of state medical schools know that Texas residents prefer to stay at a Texas medical school.

Make sure your personal statement explains why you want to pursue medicine and be a physician. You did not improve your application much and should have started the scribe job and non-clinical volunteering last summer. Gain 50 hours of shadowing (you can set aside some from your scribe job) first before applying. Also gain 150+ of non-clinical volunteering. Outside of TMDAS, you could apply to Vandy and WUSTL.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the info! So, I should wait to turn in my application this year until I get some more volunteer experience/start building up hours from scribing/research assistant? And, what would say my odds are for getting into the TMDSAS schools, Vanderbilt, or Washington with what I have now? Finally, when you say to set aside hours from my scribe job, I should list two different activities in AMCAS/TMDSAS, one being shadowing 50 hours and another being scribing separate from the 50 hours?
Yes you probably should as projected hours do not count for much. I am unsure how long that will take for you though, you will have to do the math. Odds are hard to say. WUSTL or Vandy may give an interview as they look for high stat applicants. You are definitely strong academically.

I assume you’ve spent 4 years in college up till now. So you’ve essentially spent about 2 hours a week on anything outside classes and the MCAT. Admissions do not usually offer interviews to students with so little life experience. You would be a much stronger applicant if you waited a year to apply and would likely receive several interviews. Right now, I am less confident about your chances but gaining experience from those new positions should help to an extent.

Yes, if you scribe for 100 hours, use two separate slots as you said and put 50 as shadowing and 50 for paid clinical experience.

You are clearly strong academically but you found out the very hard and disappointing way that for medical school acceptance, the admissions committees need to see that you know what the work of a doctor entails: this you demonstrate by spending time shadowing, observing, or working in a clinical setting. Your reason for no interviews was most likely the lack of any such activities. Without these your essays probably didn't have relevant real world context.

Texans are in a unique situation: we have so many good and very low cost medical schools that every year most Texans who get in to medical school stay in the state. Last year 94% stayed in TX and 6% matriculated OOS. The compounding factor is that OOS schools know Texans will most likely choose to stay in TX due to the much lower costs and are reluctant to use an interview spot on a student who will end up turning them down for financial reasons.

Your new school list including all of the Texas schools (not just the 2 hardest to get in to, like last year) is a step in the right direction.

Reactions: 1 users
Wait until June to submit your application since you will have 100 hours of scribing to include in your application (that would be similar to shadowing). Apply to all your TMDSAS schools. For AMCAS schools you could try Tulane and Washington University (they like high MCAT scores).

Reactions: 1 user