WAMC 521/3.8 ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1158685

For my brother!
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    1. cGPA - 3.8
    2. sGPA - 3.7
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    1. 509 (127/125/130/127), first attempt
    2. 521(130/131/130/130), second attempt
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    1. NJ
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    1. ORM
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    1. Ivy
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. ~250-300 hours CNA, non-volunteer
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. 1500 hours working in cancer research lab
    2. 2000 hours working in brain tumor lab, 1 poster
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. 20 hours neurology
    2. 15 hours PCP
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. 100 hours daycare volunteer
    2. 200 hours soup kitchen!
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. 200 hours Biology TA
    2. 100 hours leadership board of premed club
    3. 100 hours leadership board of outdoors club
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Dean's List all semesters
  12. LORs
    1. 2 science, 2 PIs
School list so far:
Cooper, Rutgers (both campuses), Hackensack, Boston University

Honestly, no idea where to proceed from here with a school list, I'm not particularly interested in going to a name-brand school or anything, so any advice on a school list would be greatly appreciated!

Advisors have suggested mostly T20 schools, but I am extremely hesitant because of fairly cookie-cutter ECs.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Your 4 New Jersey MD schools
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Rochester
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Tufts
Boston University
Georgetown
USF Morsani
Miami
Tulane
St. Louis
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Case Western
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Kaiser
Mayo

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Your 4 New Jersey MD schools
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Rochester
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Tufts
Boston University
Georgetown
USF Morsani
Miami
Tulane
St. Louis
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Case Western
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Kaiser
Mayo
Thank you so much! I'm honestly not super interested in applying to T20 schools and the list is mostly T20, are there other schools who you think might be a good fit for me? I really dislike research which is why I hesitate, the 3500 hours I have are just due to my advisor telling me it was a requirement for medical school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much! I'm honestly not super interested in applying to T20 schools and the list is mostly T20, are there other schools who you think might be a good fit for me? I really dislike research which is why I hesitate, the 3500 hours I have are just due to my advisor telling me it was a requirement for medical school.
I like Faha's list, and it doesn't have a ton of brand-names many would consider T20's that otherwise would not be a good geographic fit. (Harvard, Yale, and Penn are not on Faha's list, for example... neither is Stanford or Duke.)

So what is your mission fit/purpose that will help you show your affinity to schools off the "brand name" list? If you aren't really excited about research (neuroscience), then what are you looking for?

You will not be required to do research at any medical school. You have good stats and some lower tier schools may not interview you because of your high stats (they may assume that you will attend a higher tier school)

Reactions: 1 user
I like Faha's list, and it doesn't have a ton of brand-names many would consider T20's that otherwise would not be a good geographic fit. (Harvard, Yale, and Penn are not on Faha's list, for example... neither is Stanford or Duke.)

So what is your mission fit/purpose that will help you show your affinity to schools off the "brand name" list? If you aren't really excited about research (neuroscience), then what are you looking for?
Thank you for the thoughts, I'm really interested in community health and geriatrics! It just feels like to me that when I talk to a lot of students at T20 schools there seems to be a huge emphasis on research as opposed to other factors, do you think I would be a good fit at schools like Cornell/Columbia/NYU etc?

I'm also not sure if I just simply have a misconstrued view of these schools as well, many of their websites all sound the same to me 😅

do you think I would be a good fit at schools like Cornell/Columbia/NYU etc?
If you grew up around the NYC metro area, they are a geographic fit. Metrics-wise, even though your second attempt is 521 (could be averaged for screening), someone may give you credit and move you up on this factor.

What activities have you done to feed your interest in comm health/geriatrics, and what schools have other opportunities or special interest opportunities to build upon it? Would you be applying to NHSC to access more support for comm health opportunities? Is your daycare volunteering with seniors? Have you worked in hospice care?