WAMC (520/3.90)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonimo21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You do not need to apply to 48 schools. Remove the schools that will "yield protect" with your stats such as Virginia Commonwealth, Penn State, Geisinger, Temple, Drexel, Wake Forest. Also Stony Brook and UCSD admit few non residents with no connection to the state.

Writing 48 secondaries is not going to help you relax. Presuming your SJTs are good, narrow your list to schools where you want to attend (20 to 30). What help is your prehealth advising team giving you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Writing 48 secondaries is not going to help you relax. Presuming your SJTs are good, narrow your list to schools where you want to attend (20 to 30). What help is your prehealth advising team giving you?

If I’m applying to the “T20” which there are like 25-30 of, wouldn’t it be a mistake to only apply to 30 schools? I just don’t want to be one of those high stat applicants that doesn’t end up with an A bc they applied too top heavy. I removed all schools Faha mentioned except for Geisinger (at 41 schools now) because I know from a friend who received one that they give full tuition merit scholarships and I’m not above the 90th percentile for gpa/mcat.

I have not been in contact with my unis prehealth advising team. I’ve only ever met with them once and it was a long and slow process. I already have close mentors in the honors college and in the english department to read my essays would that be enough? Or is there something else a pre health advising team can specifically offer me ?

If I’m applying to the “T20” which there are like 25-30 of, wouldn’t it be a mistake to only apply to 30 schools? I just don’t want to be one of those high stat applicants that doesn’t end up with an A bc they applied too top heavy. I removed all schools Faha mentioned except for Geisinger (at 41 schools now) because I know from a friend who received one that they give full tuition merit scholarships and I’m not above the 90th percentile for gpa/mcat.
The average applications per candidate is 18. You get into decreasing returns going well over that. Schools don't mind if you want to send money into a black hole. But the point isn't to get a high "school count" of interviews or offers.

Apply to HPSP and bring in your own money. It is competitive, but you won't need to be captive to rare full COA scholarships. If that were important, apply to NYU and Einstein. Maybe Kaiser if they are still offering free rides.

Join Americorps or Peace Corps if your want to shine to the brand schools. (You have a Fulbright!) If you want it, you know what hoops you must jump through and how high they want you to jump. But then it won't be about being a doctor...