MD & DO WAMC, 508, c3.48, s3.41

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Starbuxian

PGY-1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
<< PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE >>
  1. cGPA: 3.48 and sGPA: 3.41. Retook a core premed class to improve grade
  2. MCAT score: 508 (Chem: 127, CARS: 125, Bio: 126, Psych: 130) Retook MCAT, awaiting score by end-July
  3. FL Resident, ORM
  4. UG: Top 20 private university
  5. Clinical experience: (310 hours)
· Hospital volunteering in neuro-specialty: 160 hours
· Medical mission overseas: 150 hours​
6. Research experience: (660 hours)
· Translational breast cancer research abroad (240 hours)
· Clinical research in hospital (420 hours)​
7. Shadowing experience: (410 hours)
· Primary Care (MD): 120 hours
· GI surgery (MD): 200 hours
· Neurosurgery (MD): 40 hours
· Dermatology (DO): 50 hours​
8. Non-clinical volunteering: Fundraising for the homeless and hungry (180 hours)
9. Other extracurricular activities:
· Premed Society president
· Editor-in-Chief of university science journal
· Co-chair of university research conference
· Planning committee for major career in surgery symposium
· University dance troupe member for 4 years​
10. Relevant honors or awards
· Dean’s List 2 semesters
· 2 awards for humanitarian services​
11. Other
· First author of an abstract on surgical research (published in a journal)
· Employment history: Worked part-time (6 hrs/week, 3 years) at the university's Technology Help Desk
· Will take Casper on 07/25/18​

Please recommend schools as I need to narrow down my lists. @Goro, @Faha

Applying to (AMCAS schools): Prefer to narrow down to 20-25 total
  • All FL state schools
  • University of Vermont Larner COM
  • Rush University
  • Oakland University Beaumont
  • Eastern Virginia Med School (EVMS)
  • Georgetown
  • Tulane
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • Hackensack Meridian at Seton Hall
  • Albany Medical College
  • University of Arizona
  • University of North Dakota
  • Western Michigan
  • Carle Illinois
  • Meharry
  • Morehouse
  • Wake Forest
  • Loyola Stritch
  • California University of Science and Medicine
  • California Northstate (I know, no Fed loans)
  • Toledo
  • Cooper Rowan
  • Virginia Commonwealth University
  • Wright State Boonshoft
  • Quinnipiac Frank Netter

Applying to (AACOMAS schools) Prefer to narrow down to 10 total:
  • LECOM Bradenton
  • NSUCOM Nova
  • ACOM Alabama
  • PCOM Philadelphia
  • KCOM-AZ A.T. Still Arizona
  • KCOM A.T. Still Kirksville
  • KCU Kansas City
  • CCOM Chicago Midwestern
  • RVUCOM Rocky Vista
  • DMUCOM Des Moines
  • MUCOM Marian
  • UNECOM University of New England
  • LMU-DCOM Lincoln Memorial DeBusk
  • LECOM Lake Erie COM, Erie PA
  • WVSOM West Virginia
  • VCOM Edward Via - Carolinas
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Here is a more realistic list:

U VM

U Miami (maybe)

U Toledo

Rush

NYMC

Creighton

Tufts

Albany

Rosy Franklin

Drexel

Temple

MCW

SLU

WVU

Wayne State

Tulane

Loyola

Wake Forest

Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)

VCU

Netter

Seton Hall

EVMS

Oakland-B

Gtown

GWU
U WV

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Nova MD

Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Your state school(s).

Invest in MSAR and cull out any schools where your GPAs are < their 10th %iles.

Thanks @Goro.

What about these?
  • California Northstate

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks @Goro.

What about these?
  • California Northstate

Yes to CUSM, but NO to CNU. Here's why:

Why NOT to apply to CNU (from the wise gyngyn and Med Ed)

1. Their method of selecting the inaugural class was slapdash. They didn't use AMCAS, just faxes and PayPal. This disregard for modern systematic processing makes one wonder if their profit motive was more important than thoughtful consideration.

2. This class ended up with twice as many men as women. The second Class still has more men than women. If their mission precludes thoughtful evaluation of candidates, one wonders what other important elements of education are being missed.

3. A review of faculty credentials STILL reveals a significant lack of scholarship.

4. In a state that is at least 30% Mexican American, they only had a single representative from this group. In the 2nd Class this number has risen to 7, which still is < 10%.

5. They had the chance to enable their students to be able to get federal loans. They refused, and still do so. This says that their profits are more important than their students. Compare this to another new school (UNLV) that covered the bridge to federal loans by offering free tuition.

6. Because of these and other points too numerous to mention, the PD's I know are reluctant to consider these graduates in the same light as other applicants at the moment.

7. The LCME did not really "allow" CNU to have a class starting 2015. The LCME granted preliminary accreditation in June (not unusual), and then CNU took the unprecedented step of seating a class less than three months later. Literally ever other new medical school accredited in the modern era has gone through at least a partial AMCAS cycle. This is why the LCME is apparently pissed off at CNU, and why [students] might end up paying a price later. The only reason for CNU to have done this was to get money flowing in the door ASAP. Again, every other new medical school has used the gap between preliminary accreditation and white coat to shore up the faculty and curriculum.

8. Just compare their mission statement to any other medical school. It’s telling.

You have several state public schools on your list that accept very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state including North Dakota, Wright State, Toledo, Cooper Rowan, Arizona. Also Meharry and Morehouse accept mainly URM. Otherwise your list is good and you should receive several interviews.

Thanks @Goro and @Faha for your valuable input. I really appreciate it.

I'm awaiting the result of my 2nd MCAT around 27-July but I rather suspect my list of schools won't change much.

Do not apply to University of North Dakota if you don't have ties. According to MSAR, they accepted 35 students out of 1218 applicants. Of those 35, all of them had ties to the state (WICHE/family/went to college in ND)

Do not apply to University of North Dakota if you don't have ties. According to MSAR, they accepted 35 students out of 1218 applicants. Of those 35, all of them had ties to the state (WICHE/family/went to college in ND)
Thanks, I took that one off my list. Still have too many at 32!

@Goro, @gyngyn, @Catalystik:

Is it okay to talk about my ADHD and how I struggled with it in my adversity essay? It will not be the focus of my bad grade (1) but could I mention that as a contributing factor?