WAMC? (3.96/518/ORM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparky21

Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
T20 material for sure. Just be sure to have a central thread in your application (I.E. one major takeaway, the Ukraine stuff is great if you can build a narrative around it). It seems you have a great global focus (the travel agent stuff) and that could be a good pitch for schools like UCLA who have great programs. As for clinical volunteering, I had EMT work and am doing fine this cycle without it. I did have nearly a 1000 nonclinical hours though.

You shouldn't have to apply to DO programs unless you really haven't gotten any invitations from MD schools early on. And yes, just looking superficially at what was provided, I would be surprised.

For me, I look at the totality of clinical experience, and I don't think you need to worry too much about clinical volunteering. See if you can find it, but you work as an EMT, and I think you have solid non clinical volunteering with the elderly.

Members don't see this ad :)
You shouldn't have to apply to DO programs unless you really haven't gotten any invitations from MD schools early on. And yes, just looking superficially at what was provided, I would be surprised.

For me, I look at the totality of clinical experience, and I don't think you need to worry too much about clinical volunteering. See if you can find it, but you work as an EMT, and I think you have solid non clinical volunteering with the elderly.
Thank you!!! Any thoughts on the school list? Should I bother applying to any T10?

I let others do the list critique though you have listed your in-state options since they are your best bets for acceptance and a reasonable cost of attendance. The other public schools on your list I'm not so sure about, so make sure you check with the MSAR about OOS chances.

In agreement with the earlier poster, I don't know what your narrative is. Yes, being from Ukraine is going to get attention given contemporary times, but I don't get a sense of your purpose to pursuing medicine as opposed to other worthwhile health careers. Mission fit is a very important quality that most schools use when evaluating candidates, so I don't know how your purpose matches those among the 50 "top-20" schools.

Pardon the pitch: I go into this in Becoming a Student Doctor, and we're currently encouraging students to enroll if you need help improving your application.

I suggest:

All NJ MD schools
Albert Einstein
UVA
Case Western
Pitt
UMich
Miami
USF
OSU
Cincinnati
Tufts
Sidney Kimmel
Stony Brook
USF Morsani
Emory
Mt. Sinai
Rochester
Dartmouth
WUSTL
Vermont
Iowa
Hofstra
Colorado

Considering volunteering with hospice. If you find an opportunity to help the urban underserved, that could make it worthwhile to apply to Boston (which prides itself for having one of the largest safety net hospitals) or Downstate (asks about urban experience if not from NYC). Right now, I don’t think you would make a good fit for them.