WAMC 3.87 GPA, 20 AA, 0 interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unwaveringuni02

Reaction score
Date of submission: August 7 (AADSAS verified), August 18 (DAT verified)
Overall GPA: 3.87
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
20 AA. 19 TS (20 OC, 20 GC, 18 BIO :/). 22 RC. 19 QR. 20 PAT
State of Residence: Louisiana

Undergrad Attended: Louisiana Tech
Major: Biology
Minor: N/A
Minority? No, white male
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 100+. Multiple general dentists, one pediatric, one oral surgery.
Volunteering Experience: Horse Assisted Therapy Services for disabled individuals-2 years, 150+ hours
-MedCamps of Louisiana as Counselor-120 hours
-Louisiana Mission of Mercy Dental Clinic- 20 hours
-Big Event (community clean up)-5 hours
-St. Jude fundraiser tennis tournament director-30 hours
-Give Kids a Smile Day-8 hours
Employment: Dog Daycare Kennel Technician-1 year, 900 hours
-Head Varsity High School Tennis Coach-2 years, 500 hours
-Private Tennis Coach-200 hours
-Assistant Tennis Pro at athletic club-200 hours
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: President and Founder of club tennis team at university-2 years, 1000+ hours
-Ambassador for school of biological sciences-2 years, 160 hours
-PreDental Society, Running Club, Minority Association of PreHealth Students, TriBeta Biological Honor Society, Intramural player.
-Studied abroad in Italy for 2 weeks.
-Give Kid's a Smile Day volunteer at local clinic
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Spoken to members of LSU board
Relevant Honors or Awards: President's List or Dean's List every quarter
-StateFarm Leadership Award
-USTA NTRP National Championship participant (tennis)
-Scholarships through university and state
LOR type and strength: Prehealth committee letter from university. Strong LOR from volunteer organization, general dentist letter.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
Only studied for the DAT for around 3 weeks. Pushed it back multiple times, and decided to cram for 16 hrs/day for 2 weeks. Graduating with undergrad in 3 years, only 20 years old (21 in December).
School list: (
Applied pretty broadly. Tried to pick some safe and some reach. Would attend any listed.)
LSU
A.T. Still-Missouri
UMKC
LECOM
UF
NOVA
UKentucky
Louisville
Marquette
Buffalo
UNC
Temple
WVU
OSU
Colorado

0 interviews :/ All secondaries turned in shortly after received.
Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you ever contact ASDA chapters/officers at the schools, especially at LSU?

The yellow flag I see is your dental experience, a little below par but not something that warrants getting screened out. The other is searching for opportunities where you immerse yourself around marginalized communities (LA MOM/GKAS is a good start, but is 28 hours enough?).

Not sure if graduating in three years is an issue. All we can ask is the feedback about your application essays from your prehealth team. I would still think you have a chance at LSU for interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you ever contact ASDA chapters/officers at the schools, especially at LSU?

The yellow flag I see is your dental experience, a little below par but not something that warrants getting screened out. The other is searching for opportunities where you immerse yourself around marginalized communities (LA MOM/GKAS is a good start, but is 28 hours enough?).

Not sure if graduating in three years is an issue. All we can ask is the feedback about your application essays from your prehealth team. I would still think you have a chance at LSU for interview.
I didn't directly contact any ASDA chapters/officers? Who would that be exactly/where would I find that? I do know some of the students attending LSU, and some of them are/were involved in leadership? I spoke with the president-elect of LDA, as well as other board members. Not sure if they actually remember me, or if that matters for LSU, but I did develop some relationships. My dentist's LOR is from a very recent LSU graduate that has a good relationship with the Dean of Admissions. Again, not sure if that actually weighs much, but hoped it would.

Also, the Horse Assisted Therapy Services Program is primarily underserved individuals and families. I went into more detail on my application. I have roughly 150 hours there, and I continue to volunteer weekly.

And my prehealth committee approved my essays and application. They had a couple of questions, but nothing regarding essays.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't directly contact any ASDA chapters/officers? Who would that be exactly/where would I find that? I do know some of the students attending LSU, and some of them are/were involved in leadership? I spoke with the president-elect of LDA, as well as other board members. Not sure if they actually remember me, or if that matters for LSU, but I did develop some relationships. My dentist's LOR is from a very recent LSU graduate that has a good relationship with the Dean of Admissions. Again, not sure if that actually weighs much, but hoped it would.

Also, the Horse Assisted Therapy Services Program is primarily underserved individuals and families. I went into more detail on my application. I have roughly 150 hours there, and I continue to volunteer weekly.

And my prehealth committee approved my essays and application. They had a couple of questions, but nothing regarding essays.
I do see the ASDA officers/chairs of LSU now. Would it be beneficial to reach out? I don't want to sound desperate or annoying, but I would love to start a conversation.

Ok. Just keep your prehealth team in the loop. Not much they can really do. Ditto your dentist reference; you can see if he can put in a call for you to check, especially if he is on good terms with the Director/Dean of admissions.

It wouldn't hurt to connect with the ASDA team, especially the predental committee. Have their students had similar radio silence before getting an II to LSU? (Don't make this your first question. :) )

Ok. Just keep your prehealth team in the loop. Not much they can really do. Ditto your dentist reference; you can see if he can put in a call for you to check, especially if he is on good terms with the Director/Dean of admissions.

It wouldn't hurt to connect with the ASDA team, especially the predental committee. Have their students had similar radio silence before getting an II to LSU? (Don't make this your first question. :) )
I appreciate your help! I will definitely get in contact with the predental committee at LSU. I've heard that they like to fill their classes early, but that's all hearsay.

Date of submission: August 7 (AADSAS verified), August 18 (DAT verified)
Overall GPA: 3.87
Science GPA: 3.83
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.78
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 20 AA. 19 TS (20 OC, 20 GC, 18 BIO :/). 22 RC. 19 QR. 20 PAT
State of Residence: Louisiana

Undergrad Attended: Louisiana Tech
Major: Biology
Minor: N/A
Minority? No, white male
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 100+. Multiple general dentists, one pediatric, one oral surgery.
Volunteering Experience: Horse Assisted Therapy Services for disabled individuals-2 years, 150+ hours
-MedCamps of Louisiana as Counselor-120 hours
-Louisiana Mission of Mercy Dental Clinic- 20 hours
-Big Event (community clean up)-5 hours
-St. Jude fundraiser tennis tournament director-30 hours
-Give Kids a Smile Day-8 hours
Employment: Dog Daycare Kennel Technician-1 year, 900 hours
-Head Varsity High School Tennis Coach-2 years, 500 hours
-Private Tennis Coach-200 hours
-Assistant Tennis Pro at athletic club-200 hours
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: President and Founder of club tennis team at university-2 years, 1000+ hours
-Ambassador for school of biological sciences-2 years, 160 hours
-PreDental Society, Running Club, Minority Association of PreHealth Students, TriBeta Biological Honor Society, Intramural player.
-Studied abroad in Italy for 2 weeks.
-Give Kid's a Smile Day volunteer at local clinic
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Spoken to members of LSU board
Relevant Honors or Awards: President's List or Dean's List every quarter
-StateFarm Leadership Award
-USTA NTRP National Championship participant (tennis)
-Scholarships through university and state
LOR type and strength: Prehealth committee letter from university. Strong LOR from volunteer organization, general dentist letter.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Only studied for the DAT for around 3 weeks. Pushed it back multiple times, and decided to cram for 16 hrs/day for 2 weeks. Graduating with undergrad in 3 years, only 20 years old (21 in December).
School list: (Applied pretty broadly. Tried to pick some safe and some reach. Would attend any listed.)
LSU
A.T. Still-Missouri
UMKC
LECOM
UF
NOVA
UKentucky
Louisville
Marquette
Buffalo
UNC
Temple
WVU
OSU
Colorado

0 interviews :/ All secondaries turned in shortly after received.
Thank you!!
you applied really broadly, so your reach schools (UNC, UF, maybe OSU) don't count as much against you since you applied to 15
i think i would've recommended fewer public schools and more privates to improve your chances at interview invites
your DAT score plus younger age are going to make some adcoms hesitant...

I think you should have a decent chance for Colorado. The current class I think only has one student from your state. I highly recommended sending the admissions director a letter of intent, they like to hear that you would be committed to their school if they are giving you a chance. Your age also isn’t a big deal for them.

I think you should have a decent chance for Colorado. The current class I think only has one student from your state. I highly recommended sending the admissions director a letter of intent, they like to hear that you would be committed to their school if they are giving you a chance. Your age also isn’t a big deal for them.
I will definitely do that! And yes, I actually know that student. Thank you for the advice!

Do you think a letter of intent is a little presumptuous, given I haven't received an interview yet? I don't want to come off as desperate or bothersome. Maybe a letter of interest? And update them on my application since submission? I'm reading everywhere that these are not a good idea pre-interview.

Do you think a letter of intent is a little presumptuous, given I haven't received an interview yet? I don't want to come off as desperate or bothersome. Maybe a letter of interest? And update them on my application since submission? I'm reading everywhere that these are not a good idea pre-interview.
I think Letter of Interest. Technically.

Sorry letter of interest! I heard the current academic advisor does take those into consideration.