WAMC 3.85/512 '24-25 CA ORM App School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kipiko

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm trying to create a school list and would appreciate some assistance.

My application has always been more human-facing, as I'm a history major with a global health minor. Most of my activities reflect that so I would appreciate any help with finding more human-facing mission schools.

I recently started my 4th and final year, so all hours listed here would be at time of application.
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 3.85 cGPA, 3.77 sGPA (Projected, Currently 3.83, 3.77)
  2. MCAT: 512 (128 129 127 128)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US); CA
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: ORM (Asian)
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: Top 20 UC
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
    1. 1000 hours of EMT (Paid and volunteer. I worked for an ambulance company and also volunteer with a local fire department)
    2. 500 hours of ED volunteering at Kaiser Permanente
    3. 100 Hours of Asia Pacific Health Corps, running health fairs and raising awareness around Greater LA area
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. Currently working in a Parkinson's Lab, working on using motion tracking with deep learning AI and VR to develop novel methods of Parkinson's research on gait. (800-1000 hours, hope to get a poster for an undergrad research fair this year)
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. 200 Hours (EM, Peds, Family, IM, Urology)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. 400 Hours Meals on Wheels
    2. 100 Hours CalHOPE Warm Line
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. 1 year of Bruin Medical Review (Student run health publication, wrote articles on COVID and mental health crisis in AAPI communities, interviewed staff, professors, etc)
    2. 3 Years with Mental Health Association for Chinese Communities (MHACC): California based nonprofit. Worked on operationalizing a warmline, led effort to streamline and create efficient program.
    3. 1 Year Secretary of Bruin Toastmasters, public speaking club, helped to recruit and revitalize club after impacts of COVID 19.
    4. Worked with Children's Bridge Foundation, a non-profit in Cambodia that seeks to educate young children in the slums outside Phnom Penh. Raised $8000 for maintenance of a library and scholarships. Created a penpal program. (This I did in high school so I'm not sure it counts)
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Deans Honors each Quarter
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important

I'm a bit curious of the range on avg MCAT scores I should be applying to. Is for example an avg 516 school too far of a reach for me?

Currently my school list is basically the CA schools that I have a reasonable MCAT for:
1. CUSM
2. Loma Linda
3. UCD
4. UCLA

I'm currently researching the OOS schools but would appreciate any help here. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you 7th Day Adventist or have similar religious views? Otherwise, Loma Linda is a no go, especially if you take a look at their secondary questions. What Asian community do you come from?

Most of the UC medical schools also favor individuals who grew up in the communities the schools serve. Davis would be great if you grew up in the counties around Sacramento.

I would presume you would want to look at schools where there is a significant Asian population, so the usual big city schools should be on your list. I'll let others give you a list based on metrics, but you need to find schools where you have a strong mission fit where you can serve the demographics where you already have experience. Check for APAMSA chapters.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a bit curious of the range on avg MCAT scores I should be applying to. Is for example an avg 516 school too far of a reach for me?

Look at MSAR for accepted student data. You generally should avoid schools where you are below their 10th percentile MCAT score for accepted applicants (unless you feel like capturing lightning in a bottle). Even at 10th percentile, you better have other favorable attributes (your "story" / mission, GPA, etc) to compensate ("holistic" review).

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 8.43.59 PM.png

Based solely on MCAT, if you're in the dark blue range, it's a target school. If you are in the lower light blue range, it's a reach. Again, this is strictly a generality.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you 7th Day Adventist or have similar religious views? Otherwise, Loma Linda is a no go, especially if you take a look at their secondary questions. What Asian community do you come from?
I’m not, but many of my friends are. I have no qualms with their views. Is Loma Linda looking exclusively for zealous believers?

I’m Cantonese Chinese.

I’m not, but many of my friends are. I have no qualms with their views. Is Loma Linda looking exclusively for zealous believers?

I’m Cantonese Chinese.
This is one of their secondary questions:
"Our medical curriculum integrates spiritual, ethical, and relational issues from the Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Religion courses and weekly chapel services are part of this program. Please respond to the preceding statements as they relate to your personal educational and career goals"

You could try if you are Christian and go to church weekly. That is why I phrased it as having similar views.

I suggest:
UCI
UCD
UCR (only if you grew up in the IE)
CUSM
NYMC
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Quinnipiac
Tufts
George Washington
Georgetown
Hackensack
Vermont
VCU
EVMS
Wake
Nova MD
TCU
Tulane
Wayne State
Oakland
MCW
Saint Louis
Creighton
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Belmont

Reactions: 1 users
This is one of their secondary questions:
"Our medical curriculum integrates spiritual, ethical, and relational issues from the Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Religion courses and weekly chapel services are part of this program. Please respond to the preceding statements as they relate to your personal educational and career goals"

You could try if you are Christian and go to church weekly. That is why I phrased it as having similar views.

I suggest:
UCI
UCD
UCR (only if you grew up in the IE)
CUSM
NYMC
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Quinnipiac
Tufts
George Washington
Georgetown
Hackensack
Vermont
VCU
EVMS
Wake
Nova MD
TCU
Tulane
Wayne State
Oakland
MCW
Saint Louis
Creighton
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Belmont
I see. Thank you for the suggestions. Do you think it is worth applying any DO with my stats?