WAMC 3.34 GPA 506 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangeyoubanana

Reaction score
Hello! I understand that I’m not a competitive applicant, however, I am looking for advice on what I can do to up my chances for success if I were to apply this cycle. I am not interested in taking a post-bacc and would rather improve my MCAT score.
  1. Overall GPA 3.34
  2. MCAT 506 (127/123/128/128) on 3rd attempt. I’m so demotivated to take it again but I will do it again. I read previously realistic chances at MD would be 513+ with my GPA
  3. NY resident dual citizen Jamaica
  4. Black and South Asian
  5. BA Bio from Hofstra (dec 2020)
Clinical Exp
EMT (~1100 hrs) for 1 yr in most NYS boroughs peak Covid
Medical Scribe (~1200 hrs) for 1 yr split at Emergency at NYP and NYP urology outpatient
Ophthalmic assistant (~480 hrs) in Jamaica. Shadowed and observed weekly surgeries.

Research Exp
clinical research intern for CAD at Long Island Jewish Emergency for a semester. Opportunity included shadowing ED attendings.

Non-clinical volunteering
City meals on Wheels (~150 hrs over 2 years) delivered meals to homebound senior citizens in NYC during Covid
Homework Clinic volunteer (~300 hrs or more) where I would aid Jamaican elementary students to prepare for high school examination.

Leadership exp
Former Deputy Head Girl, Student Ambassador, House Captain, Form Captain (based on foreign high school experience)
Pre-professional medical fraternity Phi Delta Epsilon
Former member of Collegiate Women of Color (CWC) E-board

Other Extracurricular
Caymanian Track and Field club, Hy-tech Tigers (2007-2012)
Jamaican Track and Field club, Cameron Blazers (2012 – 2017)
National Jamaican youth team for squash at the Liguanea Club (2013-2015)
Netball and Track and Field at the scholastic level in the Cayman Islands
Several plays at Cayman Drama Society in the Cayman Islands
Recreational songwriting, music production, and poetry writing

I know my weakest points are my numbers so I understand that even if I were to improve my MCAT I would need to look at schools with a lower range. I have some schools that I would consider due to my lower stats and I know DO schools could be targeted, however, I have no idea on where I stand to construct a good school list. Please be brutally honest!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Charles Drew
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Miami
Emory
Tulane
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Indiana
For DO schools I suggest these:
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
PCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
CCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
ACOM
CUSOM

Reactions: 1 users
I am not interested in taking a post-bacc and would rather improve my MCAT score.
You probably have heard this from your prehealth office:

Unfortunately you can't just not play ball. Why are you not interested in a postbac to improve your GPA? What classes are left of you did do one? I would want to know your grades in your biomedical classes as an admissions reviewer.

I also want to know if your MCAT score is related to how you learned in your classes before figuring out of you have a test strategy issue. You may not be able to just work on MCAT without working on your content base. You have taken it 3x already so I would be wary of rushing to retake. Some schools average all attempts for screening.

That said, I also think there may be schools that will understand your background. You have the experiences to make reviewers interested in your story. Do some networking as you build a list, but keep your options open with taking some classes to boost your GPA up, at least to a 3.4.

Read Building Your Best School List - SDN

Reactions: 1 user