WAMC 2024-2025 International Student :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalcc

Reaction score
Date of submission: June 2024
Overall GPA: 3.96
Science GPA: 3.94
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.88
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 25 AA, 24 TS, 23 Bio, 27 Chem, 22 OChem, 22RC, 30 QR, 25 PAT
State of Residence: International

Undergrad Attended: mid ivy
Major: Biochemistry + Biomedical Engineering
Minor: N/A
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: ~120 hours GP, 15 hours perio
Volunteering Experience: 50 currently in ER (aiming for ~80 by application), Give Kids a Smile Day
Employment: Lab Technician (sophomore summer), Research Technician (gap year)
Research:
undergraduate research for a school year for 8 hours a week, undergraduate summer research for 1 month,
working full time as research technician at a lab in dental school since July 2023.
2 presentations, 1 publication under review
Other Extracurriculars: involvement in clubs
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Impression Day at Penn, working at a dental school research lab
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's list, member of engineering honors society
LOR type and strength:
2 science Prof: presumed strong
1 Lab PI (also a dentist): strong
1 Dentist: average
School list (based on international-friendly private schools, but open to suggestions):
Harvard
UPenn
Columbia
UMich
NYU
Boston
Tufts
UCLA
UCSF
Pitt

Thank you so much in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
On the GPA/DAT metrics, you're good to go. But you are missing community service. GKAS is probably 4 hours, so find experience in clinical volunteering (one-stop free clinics with dental offices) and at least 100 hours of community service (food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, transportation services, housing rehabilitation)... maybe 200 hours for the top brand schools on your list. You need to show more exposure to community needs and those who rely on social services.

I'm interested in your research if it requires fine manual dexterity. I'm also interested in other hobbies that show fine manual dexterity. Otherwise, you should be a shoe-in for a MS/PhD in biomedical engineering.

On the GPA/DAT metrics, you're good to go. But you are missing community service. GKAS is probably 4 hours, so find experience in clinical volunteering (one-stop free clinics with dental offices) and at least 100 hours of community service (food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, transportation services, housing rehabilitation)... maybe 200 hours for the top brand schools on your list. You need to show more exposure to community needs and those who rely on social services.

I'm interested in your research if it requires fine manual dexterity. I'm also interested in other hobbies that show fine manual dexterity. Otherwise, you should be a shoe-in for a MS/PhD in biomedical engineering.
Thanks for the advice! I'll look into those opportunities. Getting the hours in was my major concern as I just decided to go pre-dent in my senior year so for the first few years of college I did not even look into these things.

Yes, my research requires quite a bit manual dexterity, we are using periodontal mouse models so I have to place ligatures around the tiny mouse molars. Hobby-wise I am also into painting and bartending so I think I am pretty set for manual dexterity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice! I'll look into those opportunities. Getting the hours in was my major concern as I just decided to go pre-dent in my senior year so for the first few years of college I did not even look into these things.

Yes, my research requires quite a bit manual dexterity, we are using periodontal mouse models so I have to place ligatures around the tiny mouse molars. Hobby-wise I am also into painting and bartending so I think I am pretty set for manual dexterity.
Just saying... even if you were premed, you should be doing community service. It's not too late, as long as you know where you need to focus.

Just saying... even if you were premed, you should be doing community service. It's not too late, as long as you know where you need to focus.
I wasn't really any pre-health in general... I was thinking about PhD so I was focused on doing research.

Date of submission: June 2024
Overall GPA: 3.96
Science GPA: 3.94
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.88
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 25 AA, 24 TS, 23 Bio, 27 Chem, 22 OChem, 22RC, 30 QR, 25 PAT
State of Residence: International

Undergrad Attended: mid ivy
Major: Biochemistry + Biomedical Engineering
Minor: N/A
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: ~120 hours GP, 15 hours perio
Volunteering Experience: 50 currently in ER (aiming for ~80 by application), NYC Give Kids a Smile Day
Employment: Lab Technician (sophomore summer), Research Technician (gap year since 2023)
Research:
undergraduate research for a school year for 8 hours a week, undergraduate summer research for 1 month,
working full time as research technician at a lab in dental school since July 2023.
2 presentations, 1 publication under review, expecting another publication in late 2024
Other Extracurriculars: involvement in clubs
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Impression Day at Penn, working at Pitt dental research lab
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's list, member of engineering honors society
LOR type and strength:
2 science Prof: presumed strong
1 Lab PI (also a dentist): strong
1 Dentist: average
School list (based on international-friendly private schools, but open to suggestions):
Harvard
UPenn
Columbia
UMich
NYU
Boston
Tufts
UCLA
UCSF
Pitt

Thank you so much in advance!!
despite your unreal stats, IMO you need a longer list because you are international
you have 10 schools on your list, and 6 of them are well within the top 10 most difficult schools to get into for US citizens...

despite your unreal stats, IMO you need a longer list because you are international
you have 10 schools on your list, and 6 of them are well within the top 10 most difficult schools to get into for US citizens...
Thanks for the advice! I'll look into more schools.