WAMC 2024-2025 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Herzchen

Reaction score
Date of submission: Won’t submit till July maybe August.
Overall GPA:
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
3.67 (w/ h.s dual credit CC course in bio from ( 3.50))
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
Taking the DAT in late July.
State of Residence: Texas (graduated in 2023)
(note: I took most my science courses through CC and most were online as well (during covid and post-covid). I had spoken with the one of the Texas schools and they had mentioned that they would accept the credits regardless if it’s an online course or in person, since everyone has different learning styles. But I’ve been hearing different things from everyone else so idk if it was raise any red flags or not…)
Major: Public Health B.S
Minor: Biology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No
Shadowing Experience:
Male Practitioners Office: 98 hrs
Female Practitioners Office: 196 hrs
Pediatric Dentist: 14 hrs
Endodontist: 28 hrs
Orthodontist: 28 hrs
Prosthodontist: 70 hrs
OMF Surgeon: 14 hrs
Non-Profit Practitioner Office: 35 hrs
Volunteering Experience:
Volunteer hours (Field in Education): 1,806 hrs
Non-Profit Clinic: 312 hrs
Non-Profit Dental Office: 312 hrs
Miscellaneous (4 different fields): 150+hrs
Employment:
-Restaurant Manager: Recruited employees, managed hours, built and sent out promotions for marketing purposes and worked on financial reconciliations.
-Tutor: 40+ elementary & high school students across various subjects.
-Swim Instructor: conducted one on one swim lessons tailored to students.
-Dental Assistant: worked at the front desk dealing with insurance and patient scheduling and signing them in for about 4 months. Then I worked in the back bringing in patients, taking vitals, sterilizing, assisting the dentists, taking x-rays etc.
-Internship at a non-profit hearing institute (not paid): worked on a major community outreach project with the audiologist and assistant director of the institute. shadowed audiologists and ENT doctors. Did some hands on work with the audiology assistants.
Research: No research
Other Extracurriculars:
-Student Council 1yr Social Chair and 1yr President: 400+ hrs
-Dental Club at University Executive Secretary for 2 years 250+ hrs
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools?
Planned and hosted an oral health workshop at my church with the support of two dentists who spoke on the importance of oral hygiene. I was responsible for organizing the event, coordinating logistics.
Relevant Honors or Awards:
Deans List (3 years)
LOR type and strength:

Organic Chemistry I Prof (Mid)
Dentist shadowed: (strong)
Director of Education Board: (Strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:

I still have to sign up for a biochemistry course and it will most likely be online. If you have any recommendations on where I should take the course, please lmk.
School list:
(I have a pretty long list of schools that I want to apply to, I know I’m missing my DAT, but I still want to know what schools I might have a shot at with what I provided above.)
(applying to all Texas schools; A&M, TexasTech, UT Houston, UT San Antonio. Feel that my chances of getting into any Texas schools are low; accepted stats were mostly between 3.8’s-4.0’s)
-LECOM
-A.T Still
-Western University
-California Northstate
-Howard University
-Tufts
-University of New England
-Midwestern University
-University of Detroit Mercy
-University of Mississippi
-Creighton University
-University of Nevada
-Touro
-Boston University
-Roseman U

(If you have any advice on how I can improve my application and get in on the first try, it would be greatly appreciated. I understand that dental school is highly competitive, but I’m determined to apply to any school and succeed on my first attempt)

Members don't see this ad.

Overall GPA: 3.501
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.67 (w/ h.s dual credit CC course in bio from ( 3.50))
DAT score (include AA and all sections): Taking the DAT in late July.
(note: I took most my science courses through CC and most were online as well (during covid and post-covid). I had spoken with the one of the Texas schools and they had mentioned that they would accept the credits regardless if it’s an online course or in person, since everyone has different learning styles. But I’ve been hearing different things from everyone else so idk if it was raise any red flags or not…)
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No
Shadowing Experience:
Volunteering Experience:
Employment:
-Restaurant Manager: Recruited employees, managed hours, built and sent out promotions for marketing purposes and worked on financial reconciliations.
-Dental Assistant: worked at the front desk dealing with insurance and patient scheduling and signing them in for about 4 months. Then I worked in the back bringing in patients, taking vitals, sterilizing, assisting the dentists, taking x-rays etc.
-Internship at a non-profit hearing institute (not paid): worked on a major community outreach project with the audiologist and assistant director of the institute. shadowed audiologists and ENT doctors. Did some hands on work with the audiology assistants.
Other Extracurriculars:
Planned and hosted an oral health workshop at my church with the support of two dentists who spoke on the importance of oral hygiene. I was responsible for organizing the event, coordinating logistics.
Deans List (3 years)
LOR type and strength:
I still have to sign up for a biochemistry course and it will most likely be online. If you have any recommendations on where I should take the course, please lmk.
School list: (I have a pretty long list of schools that I want to apply to, I know I’m missing my DAT, but I still want to know what schools I might have a shot at with what I provided above.)
(applying to all Texas schools; A&M, TexasTech, UT Houston, UT San Antonio. Feel that my chances of getting into any Texas schools are low; accepted stats were mostly between 3.8’s-4.0’s)
-LECOM
-A.T Still
-Western University
-California Northstate
-Howard University
-Tufts
-Midwestern University
-Creighton University
-University of Nevada
-Touro
-Boston University
-Roseman U

(If you have any advice on how I can improve my application and get in on the first try, it would be greatly appreciated. I understand that dental school is highly competitive, but I’m determined to apply to any school and succeed on my first attempt)
how did you come up with this list?
why howard?

Science GPA:
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No
Shadowing Experience:
Volunteering Experience:
Employment:
Other Extracurriculars:
Deans List (3 years)
LOR type and strength:
School list: (I have a pretty long list of schools that I want to apply to, I know I’m missing my DAT, but I still want to know what schools I might have a shot at with what I provided above.)
-LECOM
-A.T Still
-Western University
-California Northstate
-Howard University
-Tufts
-Midwestern University
-Creighton University
-University of Nevada
-Touro
-Boston University
-Roseman U

what have you been doing since you graduated?

Members don't see this ad :)
what have you been doing since you graduated?
I've been preparing for DAT's and also shadowing dentists on the side. I also took Organic Chemistry 2 and Physics 2 post-grad and received an A+ in both courses.

how did you come up with this list?
why howard?
Mixed up the list, didn't mean to include Howard.
However this list is made based of acceptance rates and GPA's that got accepted. Using the ADEA Guide book 2023-2024.

Mixed up the list, didn't mean to include Howard.
However this list is made based of acceptance rates and GPA's that got accepted. Using the ADEA Guide book 2023-2024.
you need to have mission fit to get interviews and acceptances
acceptance rates and GPA are not mission fit...

Would avoid Cal Northstate unless you have wealthy parents. There should be no reason to take out private loans to attend dental school. It’s financial suicide not having protections like gov loans do. Please remove.

University of Mississippi also doesn’t accept many, or any, OOS students. Wouldn’t donate your money to that school either unless they state on their website they accept students from surrounding states. The ADEA student guide says there’s no info available on OOS students and they didn’t have any enrolled for the class of 2026

Reactions: 1 users
OP: including the 4 Texas schools, you are applying to 19 schools. That seems high, and I agree with the suggestions to cut your list.

Sure, Texas schools have high metrics but in- state tuition is lower than being OOS at other schools. There is a focus on serving underserved communities in Texas, especially regionally near the campuses. Your public health degree should give you insight with this.

We ask what your mission is. One of the ways I want to see this: how did you use your degree? I see the workshop you organized and the internship, but I'm not getting a connection yet to becoming a dentist as opposed to a public health advocate. You can be one in the same, so what leadership or advocacy activities on campus have given you skills? Student Council? Dental Club?

Reactions: 1 user
Science GPA:
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No
Shadowing Experience:
Volunteering Experience:
Employment:
Other Extracurriculars:
Deans List (3 years)
LOR type and strength:
-LECOM
-A.T Still
-Western University
-California Northstate
-Howard University
-Tufts
-Midwestern University
-Creighton University
-University of Nevada
-Touro
-Boston University
-Roseman U

there are 2 at stills and 2 midwesterns...

OP: including the 4 Texas schools, you are applying to 19 schools. That seems high, and I agree with the suggestions to cut your list.

Sure, Texas schools have high metrics but in- state tuition is lower than being OOS at other schools. There is a focus on serving underserved communities in Texas, especially regionally near the campuses. Your public health degree should give you insight with this.

We ask what your mission is. One of the ways I want to see this: how did you use your degree? I see the workshop you organized and the internship, but I'm not getting a connection yet to becoming a dentist as opposed to a public health advocate. You can be one in the same, so what leadership or advocacy activities on campus have given you skills? Student Council? Dental Club?
Thank you for your advice and questions! I have a clear personal mission and vision statement focused on integrating public health with clinical dentistry to serve underserved communities/refugees and to also educate communities where oral health is extremely neglected (specifically my community). Are you suggesting that I do more public health-related work to tie it into dentistry, or should i highlight the connections between my current public health experiences and dentistry in my application and personal statement?

Midwestern Illinois and A.T Stll Arizona
why not apply to both at stills and both midwesterns if you are wanting to get into school in one shot?
they are all extremely expensive schools, but the at stills will love your public health background...

Thank you for your advice and questions! I have a clear personal mission and vision statement focused on integrating public health with clinical dentistry to serve underserved communities/refugees and to also educate communities where oral health is extremely neglected (specifically my community). Are you suggesting that I do more public health-related work to tie it into dentistry, or should i highlight the connections between my current public health experiences and dentistry in my application and personal statement?
have you checked your mission fit with your school list?

Science GPA:
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No
Shadowing Experience:
Volunteering Experience:
Employment:
Other Extracurriculars:
Deans List (3 years)
LOR type and strength:
-LECOM
-A.T Still
-Western University
-California Northstate
-Howard University
-Tufts
-Midwestern University
-Creighton University
-University of Nevada
-Touro
-Boston University
-Roseman U

-LECOM
-Tufts
-Touro
-Boston University

these schools don't make sense for you geographically, do you have mission fit with the schools that would outweigh that fact?

Which one of those options can you better address? Which one represents your mission/vision better?