WAMC 2023-2024 with low GPA - SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toothiana

Reaction score
Date of submission:
Overall GPA:
3.4 (3.3 undergrad + DIY postbacc of 3 upper sci classes and retook 3 pre-reqs in summer and fall after graduation)
Science GPA: 3.3
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.1
DAT score:
- 20AA/18TS (19BIO 17GC 18OC 21PAT 24QR 21RC)
- 22AA/20TS (21BIO 21GC 20OC 21PAT 26QR 22RC)
State of Residence: FL and eligible for either CA/MA (military family)

Major: Biomedical Science
Minority? No? (immigrant - came to US at 18yo and started college, but I'm Asian F so probably no)
Re-applicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 50 hours webinar shadowing OMF surgeon in college (should I even include in this on app?); 50 hours general dentist during gap year
Volunteering Experience: 50 hours of medical interpreter at a gov org (for national health statistics) in college; 80 hours of community food donation services during gap year; 50 hours of math and science tutor for underserved public high school students during gap year
Employment: 300 hours restaurant managers (is it relevant?); 500 hours of Administrative assistant in college (customer service industry); 100 hours dental assisting during gap year (ongoing)
Research: 50 hours bio-organic chem research assisting, no pub/poster (should I mention?)
Other Extracurriculars: Program coordinator of math club in college
LOR: 1 biochem/cell metabolism prof (average); 1 microbio prof (average); 2 dentists (strong)
Misc Info/Red Flags:
- I did SUPER poorly in spring semester of my sophomore year: 2 F's (Bio 2, Physics 2 - retook with C, A) and 3 C's (Orgo 2, non-sci) due to mental health and family issues; GPA in all other semesters are 3.5-3.9

School list: (very open to school suggestion pls help)
(CA 01) Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry
(CA 05) Western University
(FL 01) Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
(FL 02) Nova Southeastern University
(IL 01) Midwestern University
(MA 01) Boston University
(MA 03) Tufts University
(ME 01) University of New England
(NY 02) New York University
(NY 04) Touro - New York Medical College
(PA 01) The Maurice H. Kornberg
(UT 01) Roseman University

I will keep volunteering and dental assisting in the Fall and update the hours in my application. My question is, should I keep doing post-bacc or enroll in a SMP for the next year just in case my GPA is not enough to get in this next cycle? (Average pre-req GPA is 2.9 after retaking any below B-)

I ask this because I kinda feel like I could be a more competitive applicant with my DAT so a good SMP GPA might open up more doors for me (by this I mean cheaper schools lol - including SMP cost). But potentially with a SMP I wouldn't be able to rack up much more volunteering/assisting hours as I would with just doing post-bacc (or even taking some graduate level sciences). If not doing SMP I could add 100-150 hours of volunteering and 200-300 hours of dental assisting throughout summer and fall; but with SMP, it could be half or 1/3 that.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I will get back to this in a little bit, but you should check the school list LORs, I don't think what you have will suffice. You don't need 2 dentist LORs, maybe 1, and Loma requires a reglious leader LOR, so unless you have that, toss it. You can narrow your list down. Aim for 9-12 schools. 22AA will help.

You also don't need an SMP. even with your GPA you will probably be fine, otherwise a post-bacc would be fine.

**Will update with more soon. In class lol

You also don't need an SMP. even with your GPA you will probably be fine, otherwise a post-bacc would be fine.
you should check the school list LORs, I don't think what you have will suffice.
This is my problem because I wasn't really engaging in forming connection with my professors in college, and I'm having a hard time asking for LOR's from professors who I have great grades in but don't even remember who I am. I was considering SMP so that I could potentially get great LORs from the program.

You can narrow your list down. Aim for 9-12 schools.
That's fair I just updated and edited my original post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's my update, I didn't get to say everything I wanted to earlier, and want to make sure you see this comment (decided to not update my previous post).

Not sure how the OMS webinar would look, you could maybe put it down, but schools will probably not count it. Aim for 100 hours in person shadowing, which should cover all school requirements.

Mention the research, even though you didn't get a pub/poster out of it, schools will like to see that you at least tried it. You could mention that it piqued your interest and would like to try it again in school if given the opportunity (or not, if you didn't like research).

All employment is relevant. I worked at Target during undergrad, it was brought up in 4/5 of my interviews bc it also affected my hand-eye skills with what I did. Any employment is good, it shows you can work with others and know how to communicate, as well as multitask while in school and maintain grades while doing a lot of other extraneous things. It's a good thing!

You will probably have a section in your app where you can explain the poor grades (I believe?) but don't blame others, own up to your grades and describe what you have been doing to improve them and manage the problem.

Again, the LORs might need a little work. TBH I didn't talk to my LOR writers once outside of class, I did well in them and reached out WELL in advance (like 9 months) before the app opened, giving me (and them) plenty of time. I also created a substantial packet of information that included my PS, my CV (resume), my grades, and a bunch of attributes with explanations as to why I would be a good dental student. I think this helped them in crafting a more personal letter even though they didn't get to know me super well (bc of covid restrictions and zoom was weird during this time). So it's certainly possible, you just need to be open and upfront and be willing to help them out. If they say no, its a no, but if they are willing, the packet will help them tremendously I found. And you'd only need one dentist, get a supervisor from your work or volunteer for the 4th, it will help more than a second dentist.

And yeah, you don't need an SMP. Your DAT is competitive, your GPA is on the lower side but if you have upward trend, you should be in decent shape. DIY post-bacc to take extra credits could be beneficial but you might otherwise be okay. If you have CA/MA residence you might as well toss an app into the state schools too: UCLA, UCSF for the in-state tuition, the DAT is close if you apply early you may have a shot at an interview

volunteering is always a plus, I recommend pushing yourself out of your comfort zone working with those who are disadvantaged: Food pantry, soup kitchen, etc.

hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 users
Here's my update, I didn't get to say everything I wanted to earlier, and want to make sure you see this comment (decided to not update my previous post).

Not sure how the OMS webinar would look, you could maybe put it down, but schools will probably not count it. Aim for 100 hours in person shadowing, which should cover all school requirements.

Mention the research, even though you didn't get a pub/poster out of it, schools will like to see that you at least tried it. You could mention that it piqued your interest and would like to try it again in school if given the opportunity (or not, if you didn't like research).

All employment is relevant. I worked at Target during undergrad, it was brought up in 4/5 of my interviews bc it also affected my hand-eye skills with what I did. Any employment is good, it shows you can work with others and know how to communicate, as well as multitask while in school and maintain grades while doing a lot of other extraneous things. It's a good thing!

You will probably have a section in your app where you can explain the poor grades (I believe?) but don't blame others, own up to your grades and describe what you have been doing to improve them and manage the problem.

Again, the LORs might need a little work. TBH I didn't talk to my LOR writers once outside of class, I did well in them and reached out WELL in advance (like 9 months) before the app opened, giving me (and them) plenty of time. I also created a substantial packet of information that included my PS, my CV (resume), my grades, and a bunch of attributes with explanations as to why I would be a good dental student. I think this helped them in crafting a more personal letter even though they didn't get to know me super well (bc of covid restrictions and zoom was weird during this time). So it's certainly possible, you just need to be open and upfront and be willing to help them out. If they say no, its a no, but if they are willing, the packet will help them tremendously I found. And you'd only need one dentist, get a supervisor from your work or volunteer for the 4th, it will help more than a second dentist.

And yeah, you don't need an SMP. Your DAT is competitive, your GPA is on the lower side but if you have upward trend, you should be in decent shape. DIY post-bacc to take extra credits could be beneficial but you might otherwise be okay. If you have CA/MA residence you might as well toss an app into the state schools too: UCLA, UCSF for the in-state tuition, the DAT is close if you apply early you may have a shot at an interview

volunteering is always a plus, I recommend pushing yourself out of your comfort zone working with those who are disadvantaged: Food pantry, soup kitchen, etc.

hope this helps!
Thanks a lot for the thorough review! I'll definitely follow your advice for the LORs and post-bacc work.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm adding a little bit to the great advice. On the LORs, my faculty really like to read them to gauge how strong the references know the candidate. If they admit you, they want assurance you are the type of student who is eager to learn and a joy to have... not just as a student, but 10 years later as a peer. Dental school education is built on close mentoring and supervision... an apprenticeship model.

Pay close attention to any student insights, especially if they have a similar background to you. See how many recent immigrants/expats are in the classes, and ask how the preceptors treat them. Make sure you are comfortable as a student at each school on your list.

Reactions: 1 users
@Ryxndek Explained very well, so I’m just going to add a little bit of superficial info.

During your app cycle, continue to take more courses by doing DIY-post bacc and accumulate more volunteering hours. Admission committees love seeing hard working future prospects strengthening their applications.

Reactions: 1 users