WAMC 2023-2024 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wizardsfan169

Reaction score
Date of Submission: Planning sometime in june
OGPA: 3.89, may be 3.9 when applying
SGPA: 3.81
DAT: 19AA/20TS/16PAT; 22 BIO, 19 GC, 18 OC, 20 RC, 17 QR

Residency: Texas
Major: Biomedical Sciences (Pre-Dental concentration)
Minor: None
Reapplicant: No
Nontraditional: No

Shadowing:
160 total hours (110 GD; 50 Ortho)
Volunteering: 250 total hours (100 Temple, 100 food bank, 50 gym)
Employment: Summer jobs at Dad’s company and Uber Eats
Research: None
Honors: President’s list (4 times)
LOR: Dentist (strong), Organic Chem professor (weak), Anatomy professor (good), Calculus professor (strong), English professor (good)

School List
- Western
- LECOM
- Boston
- UDM
- Midwest-AZ
- Kentucky
- Louisville
- UNE
- UNLV
- Iowa
- Oklahoma
- NOVA
- Creighton
- Buffalo

Members don't see this ad.

Firstly, you should prioritize Texas schools since you are in-state. You are most likely to be accepted there outside of all the other schools listed. I would start there if you can. You're GPA is solid, though your DAT is slightly below the average score of matriculants(~20AA nationally, ~21AA for Texas schools). I would maybe recommend taking it again since you'd be paying a lot more in tuition should you be accepted from a private school compared to the in-state tuition you'd get from Texas schools (the difference is a lot more than you think). Your 16PAT may hurt you if you apply to schools with 17 subscore minimums, so be careful when applying.

Lastly, I don't recommend having your Organic chem professor write you a letter if it's going to be weak, it may hinder your application negatively. You have 5 letter writers selected and can only send 4. You need a minimum of 2 science (generally, with one from your major), and then either one outside your major such as a leadership role mentor, advisor in lab or work..etc. Each school will specify but usually something along those lines. Otherwise, maybe you have another letter writer you can ask? Being you have a 19AA, you don't want anything else on your app that admissions could use to not interview you. And yes, apply as soon as possible to have the best shot!

Reactions: 1 user
Firstly, you should prioritize Texas schools since you are in-state. You are most likely to be accepted there outside of all the other schools listed. I would start there if you can. You're GPA is solid, though your DAT is slightly below the average score of matriculants(~20AA nationally, ~21AA for Texas schools). I would maybe recommend taking it again since you'd be paying a lot more in tuition should you be accepted from a private school compared to the in-state tuition you'd get from Texas schools (the difference is a lot more than you think). Your 16PAT may hurt you if you apply to schools with 17 subscore minimums, so be careful when applying.

Lastly, I don't recommend having your Organic chem professor write you a letter if it's going to be weak, it may hinder your application negatively. You have 5 letter writers selected and can only send 4. You need a minimum of 2 science (generally, with one from your major), and then either one outside your major such as a leadership role mentor, advisor in lab or work..etc. Each school will specify but usually something along those lines. Otherwise, maybe you have another letter writer you can ask? Being you have a 19AA, you don't want anything else on your app that admissions could use to not interview you. And yes, apply as soon as possible to have the best shot!
Thanks for the reply! You’re right that my DAT isn’t the strongest, sort of sucks because I was scoring a lot higher on my Booster PT’s. After reading what you said, you’re right about my orgo professor. I would love to retake my DAT and apply to Texas schools but I worry that I won’t be able to replicate my biology scores. Do you think with my stats, early application date, and schools listed I could maybe get one interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! You’re right that my DAT isn’t the strongest, sort of sucks because I was scoring a lot higher on my Booster PT’s. After reading what you said, you’re right about my orgo professor. I would love to retake my DAT and apply to Texas schools but I worry that I won’t be able to replicate my biology scores. Do you think with my stats, early application date, and schools listed I could maybe get one interview?
I think it's definitely possible to get at least one if you apply early, like within 2 weeks of the app opening, and go slightly broad. But I would still apply to texas schools and maybe sub them for Iowa and Buffalo. Iowa strongly prefers in-state students and so does Buffalo and their average DAT's are pretty high compared to yours. Certainly, if you want to cast your net and maximize your chances I would aim for like 10-12 schools in total from your list + Texas schools, some safety, in reach, and reach. Don't apply to schools you wouldn't seriously consider attending. If you want more resources PM me, and I can send you some of what I used to help me determine what schools were best for my app. Make sure you take your time on your Personal statement. Do you have any other extracurriculars?

One side note, with your low PAT, what have you done to show manual dexterity or able to use spacial reasoning skills? If you can help supplement the lower score with skills in manual dexterity it may help offset the score slightly. Just food for thought.

Date of Submission: Planning sometime in june
OGPA: 3.89, may be 3.9 when applying
SGPA: 3.81
DAT: 19AA/20TS/16PAT; 22 BIO, 19 GC, 18 OC, 20 RC, 17 QR

Residency: Texas
Major: Biomedical Sciences (Pre-Dental concentration)
Minor: None
Reapplicant: No
Nontraditional: No

Shadowing:
160 total hours (110 GD; 50 Ortho)
Volunteering: 250 total hours (100 Temple, 100 food bank, 50 gym)
Employment: Summer jobs at Dad’s company and Uber Eats
Research: None
Honors: President’s list (4 times)
LOR: Dentist (strong), Organic Chem professor (weak), Anatomy professor (good), Calculus professor (strong), English professor (good)

School List
- Western
- LECOM
- Boston
- UDM
- Midwest-AZ
- Kentucky
- Louisville
- UNE
- UNLV
- Iowa
- Oklahoma
- NOVA
- Creighton
- Buffalo
i agree with what ryxn has said previously
i would seriously consider retaking, your high gpa is not reflected in your dat scores and schools could suspect grade inflation at your undergrad
also, you have to apply to the texas schools no matter what, since they are your best option
i would remove western lecom boston udm and nova...

Reactions: 1 user
i would seriously consider retaking, your high gpa is not reflected in your dat scores and schools could suspect grade inflation at your undergrad
also, you have to apply to the texas schools no matter what, since they are your best option
and you don't need the ochem lor...

Yeah, I think I may have to retake. One question, if my retake is around the same, or say i only increase my score to a 20 AA, would that make a significant difference or would I need to get a 23AA as well. I got to a TAMU sister school so hopefully they don’t view it as inflation.

Yeah, I think I may have to retake. One question, if my retake is around the same, or say i only increase my score to a 20 AA, would that make a significant difference or would I need to get a 23AA as well. I got to a TAMU sister school so hopefully they don’t view it as inflation.
20AA is better than 19, I’d try and aim for a 21 if you can. With your gpa it will make you pretty competitive.