WAMC 2023-2024 Cycle, CA Resident, DAT (24), GPA (3.8), and suggestions for school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IHoward14

Reaction score
Date of submission: N/A aiming for as early as possible
Overall GPA: 3.8
Science GPA: 3.7
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.7
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 24 AA, QR 21, RC 24, TS 25, PAT 23
State of Residence: CA

Undergrad Attended: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
Major: Biology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: around 100 hours general shadowing
Volunteering Experience: 150 + hours of international service trips, dental clinic, wilshire elderly service
Employment: 2 years head coach of youth climbing team
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Nothing too relevant that is dental related. Very involved in a christian club on campus and do some tutoring.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List 8/10 quarters
LOR type and strength: 2 General Dentist-Strong, Biology professor-strong, Chem professor-average
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Took my first O chem as pass no pass during covid. Majority of service hours come from my international trips and worried about them not being in my local community.
School list: Would also love feedback on my school list, I think I need to add more
UCLA
UCSF
Western
UofP
Loma Linda
OHSU
ASDOH
Boston

Members don't see this ad.

Will probably want to try and increase some of those domestic service hours - soup kitchen, food shelter, serving homeless are good options. School list looks decent, though boston stands out. What's your connection?

I would double-check with each school to make sure you have the right LOR, 2 dentists is more than enough, you could probably get away with one, I had zero. Generally, it's 2 science profs and 1 other that could be a service mentor, PI supervisor, job leader, etc. For Loma you'll also need a spiritual advisor to write you a letter, which I would have sent separately as to not take up space on your AADSAS app since you're limited to 4 and cannot pick and choose which gets sent where.

I don't necessarily think you need to add more schools, your stats are good enough. I wouldn't budge past 10 schools if you make a solid application and apply as early as you can. California fortunately has the most dental schools so that should help. You could throw in UNLV which is relatively close, as well as Roseman, but state schools would be better.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Separate your international experience hours. How much have you done domestically? How much networking have you done with LLSOD (given their religious orientation)?
Ok that's what I was worried about :/ Right now only have about 60 hours domestically. As far as networking I haven't done any, is that just reaching out the dental school through email or attending in person events?

Will probably want to try and increase some of those domestic service hours - soup kitchen, food shelter, serving homeless are good options. School list looks decent, though boston stands out. What's your connection?

I would double-check with each school to make sure you have the right LOR, 2 dentists is more than enough, you could probably get away with one, I had zero. Generally, it's 2 science profs and 1 other that could be a service mentor, PI supervisor, job leader, etc. For Loma you'll also need a spiritual advisor to write you a letter, which I would have sent separately as to not take up space on your AADSAS app since you're limited to 4 and cannot pick and choose which gets sent where.

I don't necessarily think you need to add more schools, your stats are good enough. I wouldn't budge past 10 schools if you make a solid application and apply as early as you can. California fortunately has the most dental schools so that should help. You could throw in UNLV which is relatively close, as well as Roseman, but state schools would be better.
Ok I'll try to get some more hours in, should I aim for around 100? Have family in Boston and my long-time girlfriend will be attending graduate school there. Thanks for your help!

Ok I'll try to get some more hours in, should I aim for around 100? Have family in Boston and my long-time girlfriend will be attending graduate school there. Thanks for your help!
150 is the minimum threshold for most schools when it comes to volunteering experience. 150 also for clinical exposure.

Date of submission: N/A aiming for as early as possible
Overall GPA: 3.8
Science GPA: 3.7
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.7
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 24 AA, QR 21, RC 24, TS 25, PAT 23
State of Residence: CA

Undergrad Attended: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
Major: Biology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: around 100 hours general shadowing
Volunteering Experience: 150 + hours of international service trips, dental clinic, wilshire elderly service
Employment: 2 years head coach of youth climbing team
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Nothing too relevant that is dental related. Very involved in a christian club on campus and do some tutoring.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List 8/10 quarters
LOR type and strength: 2 General Dentist-Strong, Biology professor-strong, Chem professor-average
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Took my first O chem as pass no pass during covid. Majority of service hours come from my international trips and worried about them not being in my local community.
School list: Would also love feedback on my school list, I think I need to add more
UCLA
UCSF
Western
UofP
Loma Linda
OHSU
ASDOH
Boston
why do you think you need to add more?

If you have UoP add Roseman, they have a lot of people from Cali too.

Youth Climbing Coach - Add Utah and Colorado too.
(You would love Utah if you enjoy Rock climbing) Roseman is my top choice for you if you could geet the gf to go to Utah.

Otherwise, if you want Boston to add Tufts and Harvard (you have decent enough stats to at least apply to Harvard)

Last edited: