WAMC 04/21

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharklol

Reaction score
Date of submission: 7/12/23
Overall GPA: 3.64
Science GPA: 3.58
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.50
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 21 AA 24TS BIO 23 GC 24 OC 24 RC 18 PAT 18 QR 18
State of Residence: NJ

Undergrad Attended:
Major: Biology
Minor: No
Minority? No, but Asian btw
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 30 hrs general dentist and 300 hrs at another general dentist office

Volunteering Experience:
-50 hrs at local food pantry
- 75 hrs at my hospital volunteered at two stations which were nursing station and the ER.
- 75 hrs at an online tutoring program for underserved children
- 100 hrs community service at my professional fraternity. Volunteering events vary such as writing letters to veterans, local park clean up, making care packages for children at hospital etc.

Employment:
- dental floater assisting 34 hrs
- eyecare front desk staff 400 hrs (current)
-math tutor 400 hrs
- homegood retailer 120 hrs
- dental receptionist 108 hrs
- dental floater assisting 24 hrs (current) another dental office

Research: none
Other Extracurriculars: pre dental club and professional service fraternity as i mentioned above
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? none
Relevant Honors or Awards: Deans list every semester except for 1 and Cum Laude
LOR type and strength: 3 sci, 1 non-sci, 1 dentist I believe it was my school sent the letters and I did not get to read it. But, I do have a feeling it is strong bc I went to office hours and I built rapport with my professors. Also, I ended a strong grade in the class

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Average personal statement, lack of clinical exposure such as dental assisting, no research, no leadership positions or clubs, C in physics II, got unemployed at my previous dental assisting position because the dentist wanted someone who could work for long term. So, I shadowed my previous dentist ( 300 hrs once a week), while I worked at my current job. Thankfully, I found another dental assisting position recently

School list: Rutgers, stony brook, buffalo, nyu, georgia, touro, temple, boston, tufts, maryland, usc, case western, detroit mercy, lecom, penn (maybe)

I am currently waitlisted at 2 schools. I consider reapplying again this summer. I would appreciate to know what are my chances are based on the school list I provided and answer my specific questions.

- which schools should i add/remove based on my stats. I am looking for few more safeties in case.
-do i need a masters/post bacc with my stats
- should I take one of my work days off to do community service. I have two jobs where I work from monday to saturday.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Date of submission: 7/12/23
Overall GPA: 3.64
Science GPA: 3.58
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.50
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 21 AA 24TS BIO 23 GC 24 OC 24 RC 18 PAT 18 QR 18
State of Residence: NJ

Undergrad Attended:
Major: Biology
Minor: No
Minority? No, but Asian btw
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 30 hrs general dentist and 300 hrs at another general dentist office

Volunteering Experience:
-50 hrs at local food pantry
- 75 hrs at my hospital volunteered at two stations which were nursing station and the ER.
- 75 hrs at an online tutoring program for underserved children
- 100 hrs community service at my professional fraternity. Volunteering events vary such as writing letters to veterans, local park clean up, making care packages for children at hospital etc.

Employment:
- dental floater assisting 34 hrs
- eyecare front desk staff 400 hrs (current)
-math tutor 400 hrs
- homegood retailer 120 hrs
- dental receptionist 108 hrs
- dental floater assisting 24 hrs (current) another dental office

Research: none
Other Extracurriculars: pre dental club and professional service fraternity as i mentioned above
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? none
Relevant Honors or Awards: Deans list every semester except for 1 and Cum Laude
LOR type and strength: 3 sci, 1 non-sci, 1 dentist I believe it was my school sent the letters and I did not get to read it. But, I do have a feeling it is strong bc I went to office hours and I built rapport with my professors. Also, I ended a strong grade in the class

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Average personal statement, lack of clinical exposure such as dental assisting, no research, no leadership positions or clubs, C in physics II, got unemployed at my previous dental assisting position because the dentist wanted someone who could work for long term. So, I shadowed my previous dentist ( 300 hrs once a week), while I worked at my current job. Thankfully, I found another dental assisting position recently

School list: Rutgers, stony brook, buffalo, nyu, georgia, touro, temple, boston, tufts, maryland, usc, case western, detroit mercy, lecom, penn (maybe)

I am currently waitlisted at 2 schools. I consider reapplying again this summer. I would appreciate to know what are my chances are based on the school list I provided and answer my specific questions.

- which schools should i add/remove based on my stats. I am looking for few more safeties in case.
-do i need a masters/post bacc with my stats
- should I take one of my work days off to do community service. I have two jobs where I work from monday to saturday.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
what schools did you apply to last cycle? where did you interview? where are you waitlisted?

Clarify: two different floater positions.

You don't need a postbac/master's with your stats unless you are missing recommended courses.

Have you interacted with Rutgers, the Philly, or the NYC dental schools?

What is the current state of your community service? Are you "done" with the ones you listed?

There are only 60+ US dental schools, and given each of their missions, you can't consider any as "safeties" unless you want to pay significant money unnecessarily.

Are you waiting for decisions? Where?

Members don't see this ad :)
what schools did you apply to last cycle? where did you interview? where are you waitlisted?
Applied to Rutgers, NYU, BU, Tufts Stony, Buffalo, Touro, UPitt, UPenn, and Maryland
Interviewed and got waitlisted all of them at rutgers and touro

Clarify: two different floater positions.

You don't need a postbac/master's with your stats unless you are missing recommended courses.

Have you interacted with Rutgers, the Philly, or the NYC dental schools?

What is the current state of your community service? Are you "done" with the ones you listed?

There are only 60+ US dental schools, and given each of their missions, you can't consider any as "safeties" unless you want to pay significant money unnecessarily.

Are you waiting for decisions? Where?

- when I mentioned 2 different floater positions, the job and the responsibility is the same as a dental assistant. Only difference is I am working with a different dentist and office.
- Speaking of classes, even though I took all the prereqs. I did not take microbio or histology
-I did not interact with the schools yet. I am having a meeting with Boston Dental School to discuss what I can improve on my application next week.
- All of my volunteering is done at NJ and I am not volunteering. I am working full time.
- I am waiting to hear back from rutgers and touro

Applied to Rutgers, NYU, BU, Tufts Stony, Buffalo, Touro, UPitt, UPenn, and Maryland
Interviewed and got waitlisted all of them at rutgers and touro
you got interviews at only rutgers and touro?

ok, thanks, it wasn't quite clear because you said "all of them" too

your application was not late, and while your gpa is at or slightly above average, your TS is really good
you do not need to do postbacc/masters (although you could take microbio/histology if it will allow you to apply to more schools)
nor do you need more community service
i would strongly recommend asking for a meeting with touro and rutgers to review your application
i would bet, however, that it is your interview, because touro accepts a ton of students because they added the NM cohort, so if you haven't gotten off the WL with your gpa/dat, that tells me it could be the interview

your list was not bad either, since you only had upenn as a reach, and you had lots of privates
you could have had a couple more schools on there though

out of your list this year, i have reservations about georgia, usc, and lecom, due to geography

your application was not late, and while your gpa is at or slightly above average, your TS is really good
you do not need to do postbacc/masters (although you could take microbio/histology if it will allow you to apply to more schools)
i would strongly recommend asking for a meeting with touro and rutgers to review your application
i would bet, however, that it is your interview, because touro accepts a ton of students because they added the NM cohort, so if you haven't gotten off the WL with your gpa/dat, that tells me it could be the interview

your list was not bad either, since you only had upenn as a reach, and you had lots of privates

out of your list this year, i have reservations about georgia, usc, and lecom, due to geography
hello, thank you for your feedback. I am not sure what you mean by "reservation" due to geography. Could you please elaborate more on that?

hello, thank you for your feedback. I am not sure what you mean by "reservation" due to geography. Could you please elaborate more on that?
i said "reservations" not "reservation"
  1. a qualification to an expression of agreement or approval; a doubt:
    "some generals voiced reservations about making air strikes"

i said "reservations" not "reservation"
  1. a qualification to an expression of agreement or approval; a doubt:
    "some generals voiced reservations about making air strikes"
oh ok i see what you mean. Georgia I can agree with you. But I thought USC and LECOM were OOS friendly so I thought I would have a chance even though its costly.

oh ok i see what you mean. Georgia I can agree with you. But I thought USC and LECOM were OOS friendly so I thought I would have a chance even though its costly.

based on my stats/ec are there more schools that you could suggest?

they are oos friendly because they are expensive privates
once again, there are better, closer safety schools for you to choose from...