Walmart and the Vietnamese work ethic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jason UCSD2000

tabasco is my friend
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I had an interview with a Wal-mart rep. for an internship postion. We had a bunch of recruiters from various pharmacies come last Thursday to UCSF to interview us. Well, as I was waiting for my interview with Walmart, I spoke to another P1 who had just had her interview. She told me that the guy who had interviewed her told her that he liked to hire Vietnamese people because they had a good work ethic. So...perhaps I won't get the postion due to my poor work ethic:rolleyes: :rolleyes: My roomate is Vietnamese, maybe his work ethic will rub off on me in due time. I don't really like Walmart for several reasons, now I have another one.
Can someone tell me about the Vietnamese work ethic, please?

-jason (pham)

Members don't see this ad.

"Vietnamese" work ethics?? I really think everyone is different and they shouldn't have classified it that way. There may be some Vietnamese pharmacists who have great work ethics while others who have poor work ethics.
I'm Vietnamese and I honestly do not contribute my work ethics to being born Vietnamese but rather to my experiences growing up. If you're a hard worker...you're a hard worker no matter what race you are.

I really don't expect an answer to my question - I'm just being my typical sarcastic self. When I told my roomate about it, he laughed, because he said he has a horrible work ethic.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha, I'm Vietnamese too and I'm a slacker. Maybe I hang around American people too much :D

I also interviewed for Walgreens' summer internship program. Don't you just love scenario questions? The interviewer is Asian but unfortunately not Vietnamese. Darnit!

I still do not feel their internship program is well structured. They couldn't even tell us how many interns they are planning to take or when th program will start.

Oops! for some reason, I thought you were talking about Walgreens! Go Walmart! hehe

Originally posted by jason UCSD2000
Can someone tell me about the Vietnamese work ethic, please?

-jason

The original Vietnamese refugees who arrived in the mid to late
seventies embodied the essence of what made America great.

These people arrived with the shirts on their backs after having lost everything they owned. Working 2-3 minimum wage jobs these folks were paying cash for new homes within five years of their arrival. I saw it happen first hand. I married one of them.

The fact that they're smarter than the rest of us doesn't hurt their chances either;)

Originally posted by Triangulation
The fact that they're smarter than the rest of us doesn't hurt their chances either;)

I'm sure you're as smart or even SMARTER than some of us...

Just ask BMB, my vietnamese-american idol, about how he taught me the whole 8 wks of pharmaceutics in 15 mins before the exam on tuesday. He had me flocculating, settling, and sedimenting like a pro!!!!!!! No, you guys are smarter:rolleyes: