Walgreens freezes salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I mean I care a lot because it means that you will flat-line for the rest of your career...which is really sad...but we have no more bargaining power. I have friends working in banking and comp sci and they have literally all surpassed me.

Freezes aren't forever. I've worked at more than 1 hospital that froze wages (and 1 which did pay cuts for all employees!) This stuff lasts a couple of years until they figure out all their good employees are moving on, so then wages are unfrozen. I'm sure chains have done wage freezes before (OK, I'm not sure, but it seems very likely that they have done wage freezes before.) Either wait it out for a couple of years until the wage is unfrozen, or move on to a different job.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Freezes aren't forever. I've worked at more than 1 hospital that froze wages (and 1 which did pay cuts for all employees!) This stuff lasts a couple of years until they figure out all their good employees are moving on, so then wages are unfrozen. I'm sure chains have done wage freezes before (OK, I'm not sure, but it seems very likely that they have done wage freezes before.) Either wait it out for a couple of years until the wage is unfrozen, or move on to a different job.
I say move on to a different job that pays more ASAP. Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The golden handcuffs for me is my paid time off, I do not want to start over. Plus I really love my position.

It will be interesting to see what Amazon does to the pharmacy world.

The golden handcuffs for me is my paid time off, I do not want to start over. Plus I really love my position.

Best case scenario: Offers competitive salaries to attract top talent away from the big chains. They also offer better reimbursements as a PBM than the current top players to independent pharmacies, allowing entrepreneurs to flourish. Walgreens, CVS, etc. also increase their wages and staffing to create a more positive experience for their customers. An all out war ensues, but after a few years Amazon emerges triumphant. Their competition vanquished, Amazon promptly slashes wages, reduces staff, and burns the pharmacy world to the ground.

Worst case scenario: All of that same stuff, except they offer bottom of the barrel wages from the start because they already know all about the pharmacist saturation. Hell, it's probably why they realized now is the perfect time to strike.

Best case scenario: Offers competitive salaries to attract top talent away from the big chains. They also offer better reimbursements as a PBM than the current top players to independent pharmacies, allowing entrepreneurs to flourish. Walgreens, CVS, etc. also increase their wages and staffing to create a more positive experience for their customers. An all out war ensues, but after a few years Amazon emerges triumphant. Their competition vanquished, Amazon promptly slashes wages, reduces staff, and burns the pharmacy world to the ground.

Worst case scenario: All of that same stuff, except they offer bottom of the barrel wages from the start because they already know all about the pharmacist saturation. Hell, it's probably why they realized now is the perfect time to strike.

Everyone better move to BFE if you want a job. It'll take longer for those stores to close.

Anyways, everyone should definitely grab a job with Amazon as soon as they are hiring. People do need to realize chains are huge companies unlike places like malls, book stores, and toy stores. It's going to take a very long time if Amazon does bankrupt these chains. Anyone currently practicing should be ok.

Alternate Worst Case Scenario: Use a physician assistant/NP in an telecare office scenario where any medications that are explicitly authorized by the physician are dispensed from the office itself and not through a pharmacy, cutting pharmacy out of the dispensing process and compliant with most state laws through Amazon logistics. Have one physician per 20-30 midlevel practitioners. As MLPs get paid less than pharmacy, why aren't they dispensing? Any exceptional cases get expensed as losses, but the actuarial projections are fine with loss recovery from the patients who this system fails.

I want you to think about it this way. What's special about the way this system works that a disrupter can't go after the workflows if they have enough cash? What if you could basically figure out a way around the Stark II rules (or pay off Congress to change them). How do you monetize rural and fixed-location (i.e. nursing home and hospital) patients? If you run your own medical insurance company, how do you get around the administrative cost overhead that is widely thought to be bloated? That's what 1492 is up to right now, figuring out which rent-seeking areas that they can leverage against the business.

Amazon set the trend for etailing, but Uber set the trend for regulatory challenges. 1492 is looking at strategies that have both in mind and with the fact that governments are not sophisticated enough to block a concerted effort (basically the Walmart strategy of zoning and the Uber strategy of operating in regulatory challenge).

And no, BFE isn't where you go. When chains withdraw, they always start at BFE as they are both more difficult to oversee through the supply chain and financing and have high fixed costs (you would think land is cheap, but it is offset by personnel and other matters). The benefits to owning a chain pharmacy outside a county seat are marginal at best, both CVS and Walgreens only got into that business in the late 00s and it hasn't been all that profitable for the amount of headaches.

Last edited:
And no, BFE isn't where you go. When chains withdraw, they always start at BFE as they are both more difficult to oversee through the supply chain and financing and have high fixed costs (you would think land is cheap, but it is offset by personnel and other matters). The benefits to owning a chain pharmacy outside a county seat are marginal at best, both CVS and Walgreens only got into that business in the late 00s and it hasn't been all that profitable for the amount of headaches.

While BFE stores may not be the busiest, we have a couple in our area that do 3 to 4k per week since there isn't any other option. It'll also take Amazon longer to take over these areas. One of the biggest things is suppose to be same day delivery and while I could be wrong I don't think Amazon could do that in BFE. Someone correct me if that's not true.

I think I got a 0.5% raise last year. This should be concerning to everyone. In 20 years from now a $120k salary is equal to $67k. In 30 years, $120k/year is equal to $49k/year, assuming a 3% annual inflation rate. How are you going to survive inflation?

Reactions: 2 users
While BFE stores may not be the busiest, we have a couple in our area that do 3 to 4k per week since there isn't any other option. It'll also take Amazon longer to take over these areas. One of the biggest things is suppose to be same day delivery and while I could be wrong I don't think Amazon could do that in BFE. Someone correct me if that's not true.

Well, Deerfield didn't go into BFE for a long time, and that really was around the urban focus. They left the outer areas to Eckerd's, Thrifty's, Rite-Aid, and RevCo (I have an internal very off-color history of Rite-Aid and RevCo as their ownership was what doomed both corporations). CRW only expanded out there when they couldn't in the urban areas as the cost to expand and maintain are much higher. I agree, now that they are there, they will be hard to kill directly, if only for the fact that those parts of rural America are dying anyway. Basically, every year, Deerfield would get a report from the USPS on which post offices they wanted to close and then make adjustments accordingly into the expansion strategy.

But taking your comparison to hyperbole, Amazon need not win the rural areas, but they can take the high margin sales away from Walgreens and CVS. What drugs are both just-in-time and are high-margin from the reports? And Walgreens lives and dies by the DoD-VA contract for TriCare/Heritage. One of the reasons why Walgreens expanded out there was to compete with CVS/Caremark for the rural veterans. So, it just doesn't look like a great future for retail in general, especially for high margin items. I think businesses like Aldi (just-in-time value pricing) or a business that plays into middle class aspirations (Starbucks used to be an example, I'm not sure what it is anymore as I don't have those tastes, possibly fast casual) can work at scale and luxury items still work on a small-scale basis. If you have a business that intentionally is marginally driven yet defines their core as something as broad as retail merchandising, then it will be harder if you are a category or a non-value sort of business. It's not like the American people are going to have more money in their future. Insecurity dampens purchasing, and purchasing right now is broadly based on debt financing.

You only can win if you don't play the game. I don't think any job is safe in the future in healthcare or anything else, thus I subscribe to the belief that a job is a means to diversified earnings end with both active and passive income streams as you don't know when those end. That's why I encourage all my pharmacy students to try marry up (or at least within the same earnings class), because they only get one chance at it, and you have no idea when that cache prunes up. I found that as you can rent pretty and safe at reasonable rates per hour should that be your entertainment (and in certain companies, it's an expensed perk). Same with pharmacy, make your money, but loyalty, what's that worth? Can you eat it? Even with passive income where there is risk, it does diversify everything such that you are not exposed to the life and death of any one particular problem, but on the other hand, it limits your ability to deal with a singular problem because you have so much in the air. The choices we have.

Alternate Worst Case Scenario: Use a physician assistant/NP in an telecare office scenario where any medications that are explicitly authorized by the physician are dispensed from the office itself and not through a pharmacy, cutting pharmacy out of the dispensing process and compliant with most state laws through Amazon logistics. Have one physician per 20-30 midlevel practitioners. As MLPs get paid less than pharmacy, why aren't they dispensing? Any exceptional cases get expensed as losses, but the actuarial projections are fine with loss recovery from the patients who this system fails.

I want you to think about it this way. What's special about the way this system works that a disrupter can't go after the workflows if they have enough cash? What if you could basically figure out a way around the Stark II rules (or pay off Congress to change them). How do you monetize rural and fixed-location (i.e. nursing home and hospital) patients? If you run your own medical insurance company, how do you get around the administrative cost overhead that is widely thought to be bloated? That's what 1492 is up to right now, figuring out which rent-seeking areas that they can leverage against the business.

Amazon set the trend for etailing, but Uber set the trend for regulatory challenges. 1492 is looking at strategies that have both in mind and with the fact that governments are not sophisticated enough to block a concerted effort (basically the Walmart strategy of zoning and the Uber strategy of operating in regulatory challenge).

What are you referring to with 1492? I'm not aware of what this references.

Members don't see this ad :)

Or that the business doesn't work anymore the way it is organized, so they stop freezes and start attrition policies like no rehire and progressing up to layoffs. You can't be a Chicago meatpacker for 1970s pay anymore. Not trying to be down on Walgreens, but I think their growth potential is limited now that they did the tax inversion. If they want to continue to show earnings growth, they have to get it from someone and somewhere, and personnel costs are just one way of doing it. And Walgreens does calculate turnover as part of their retention matters.

What are you referring to with 1492? I'm not aware of what this references.

Amazon opened a secret AI lab to explore 'telemedicine' | Daily Mail Online

The company I am on contract with. It's a division of Amazon that is dealing with incubation projects around healthcare and another area. What's funny is that the company has been in operation for two years, but it's only when they hired low-level dopes that the matter got disclosed. We signed fairly strict NDA's about the details of our work which were very much like the Google ones. Ah well, they no longer work for Amazon anymore. NDA's have been rescinded, but there's still very little to talk about as it's basically health care nerd policyspeak or techspeak. To my knowledge, the reason why the NDA's existed was to not inform Microsoft across the lake about what was going on, so that Amazon could snatch up all the good analysts for cheaper rates. Microsoft has to offer 64, 65, and 66 rates now to even get PhD's to consider. To try to get a UW health econ professor to defect (he did not, he went Amazon for less), Microsoft offered him a 68 package, which used to be unheard of outside of tech circles.

Last edited:
Golden handcuffs largely a myth. Lol @ the guy worrying about losing his paid time off.

I think I got a 0.5% raise last year. This should be concerning to everyone. In 20 years from now a $120k salary is equal to $67k. In 30 years, $120k/year is equal to $49k/year, assuming a 3% annual inflation rate. How are you going to survive inflation?

A lot of us have known this was coming for a very long time and took all the OT we could stomach and invested it in stocks and real estate. I don't have to worry about the profession providing a great living for me anymore, I can let my investments do the heavy lifting at this point.

In the same sense that someone doesn't have to be a software engineer to be passively interested in staying informed on the latest products/developments coming from Apple, Microsoft, Google, etc., I'm just generally interested in where this could actually take the pharmacy profession. When I talked hardcore doom-and-gloom on here before, people always mocked me and accused me of exaggerating things, so really -- how bad could Amazon's entry into the pharmacy field eventually be? Could a 50% unemployment rate actually become reality in a few years?

I also wonder if this development could adversely affect other healthcare professionals, such as PAs (*cough*).

Also, I'm wondering what Amazon's endgame is; are they simply starting up some sort of PBM for now and just going after CVS/Express Scripts, or are they actually looking to take over the pharmacy industry on a broader scale by setting some new industry precedent as "the" mail-order (and possibly only) pharmacy?

Teladoc has demonstrated that not even the mighty Ye Olde Boarde of Medicine has the nuts or cash to stand up to even the shakiest of lawsuits.

Expected. More bodies begging for a job. Walgreen just purchased 2000 riteaid. The money has to come from peons coz they don't matter. Why should they give a raise? 0-0.5% raise is the new norm.
Why even give a raise to match inflation. With the massive glout of pharmacists in the pipeline I'm surprised wages aren't being depressed for pharmacist. Say a 10-30% reduction in pay. Same demand, increased supply.

How is amazon in the pharmacy industry? I didn't think Whole Foods had a pharmacy in it

Yes, this is true. I'm a pharmacist for Walgreens. I googled "walgreens pharmacist pay freeze" and this was on top of google. I joined this forum to tell you it is true. Pay freeze in effect. And yes, it's going to kill productivity. I closed my pharmacy at 10pm last night and left a disaster for the staff for the next day. Normally I would stay an extra 30 mins or so and clean up a little, but considering I'm not getting paid in that 30 mins and walgreens does not appreciate my extra work, I'm peace out at closing time. No more extra work. Customers will suffer. Worker morale will suffer. I'm not surprised by this move, it's happening all over the country. US economy is in the toilet. Don't believe the hype that the US economy is fine. It's about to get a lot worse and real fast. I hope everyone has their ducks in a row cuz it's about to hit the fan. The signs are all over the place. Buy gold. Buy cryptocurrency. Get your money out of US dollars. But foreign stocks. Get out of debt. Hoard cash. Get a foreign bank account. Get new skills that can pay the bills. I'm doing all these things. I've been doing it for years. I'm currently a student pilot and may go part time to get deeper in that profession. The world will always need pilots. Pharmacists....not so much. Why do you need a dude in a white coat to buy drugs? Laws. Laws are the only reason. Socialism is taking over the US and drugs are becoming a right so that means less profits for us. I'm saving all I can. Things have to get really bad before they get better. Only freedom and liberty can save us.

Reactions: 3 users
Buy gold. Buy cryptocurrency. Get your money out of US dollars. But foreign stocks. Get out of debt. Hoard cash. Get a foreign bank account.

Let's get real, if everything *really* crashes, the only thing that is going to matter is food. Or cigarettes. If you really want to prepare for an economic global apocalypse, food and cigarettes are what you should be investing in.

Get new skills that can pay the bills. I'm doing all these things. I've been doing it for years. I'm currently a student pilot and may go part time to get deeper in that profession. The world will always need pilots.

Yeah, right. Well, maybe. If you can fly food from one area to another area (and afford the security to keep you from getting robbed), then maybe.

Only freedom and liberty can save us.

Maybe 50 - 60 years ago that was true. Now, people are too dumbed down. Freedom and liberty will only lead to Lord of the Flies.

A lot of us have known this was coming for a very long time and took all the OT we could stomach and invested it in stocks and real estate. I don't have to worry about the profession providing a great living for me anymore, I can let my investments do the heavy lifting at this point.

I'm late to the game here, being less than five years from graduation. I do have a very reasonably priced house, purchased for under $120k in 2008, and I'm throwing a lot of my free money into stocks and savings. I'm hesitant to stick a lot of it into stocks since I feel like we are facing a possible bull market soon, plus there is always value in having cash on hand. I'm really just hoping for another 10 years of solid income, then hopefully I can work because I want to and not because I have to.

To that end, I'm open to any advice from those who came before me. My ideal day takes place on a small boat, catching fish in a bay. I'd prefer to keep my desk time at a minimum.

The world will always need pilots. Pharmacists....not so much.

Automation and A.I. will come for us all, even pilots. Considering people already believe that planes basically fly themselves, they might be more comfortable than you realize about the prospect of a 100% self-flying planes in the near future.

I think the two ranges were suppose to be 1% and 1.7% this year but I honestly don't remember the exact numbers.

Most advisors will quote 7 to 8% however I wouldn't go higher then 5% return just to be on the safe side plus you will most likely go through at least two crashes during retirement.

All this bellyaching over 1.7 % LOL. Only in pharmacy..What kind of annual bonus has WG been doing lately? My pic at wm pulled 16K last year

yeah Im looking at 5% ish too. say my bankroll/portfolio is 1500000 at retire 40-45 yrs old, live on 5% 75k..not bad..hopefully die in a heart attack at 80 and leave the 1500000 for the kids! =D

Everyone better move to BFE if you want a job. It'll take longer for those stores to close.

Anyways, everyone should definitely grab a job with Amazon as soon as they are hiring. People do need to realize chains are huge companies unlike places like malls, book stores, and toy stores. It's going to take a very long time if Amazon does bankrupt these chains. Anyone currently practicing should be ok.

yeah i wonder how the entry will be pbm vs drug distribution. I know a LARGE portion of my trade area is unable to read, or use a computer, hopefully this continues to be in my favor!

All this bellyaching over 1.7 % LOL. Only in pharmacy..What kind of annual bonus has WG been doing lately? My pic at wm pulled 16K last year

yeah Im looking at 5% ish too. say my bankroll/portfolio is 1500000 at retire 40-45 yrs old, live on 5% 75k..not bad..hopefully die in a heart attack at 80 and leave the 1500000 for the kids! =D

yeah i wonder how the entry will be pbm vs drug distribution. I know a LARGE portion of my trade area is unable to read, or use a computer, hopefully this continues to be in my favor!

That 1.7% keeps you up with inflation. That adds up over time. Over ten years your salary will be over 25k lower depending obviously on your current pay.

My salary has been about the same since 2008 due to transferring to lower stress and lower pay jobs, and since last year they also put in a salary cap for my position that I was well over. So I've been dealing with this for a while, and won't be changing my plans which is to continue saving and investing hardcore until I can comfortably live off my investment earnings alone.

Let's get real, if everything *really* crashes, the only thing that is going to matter is food. Or cigarettes. If you really want to prepare for an economic global apocalypse, food and cigarettes are what you should be investing in.

Yeah, right. Well, maybe. If you can fly food from one area to another area (and afford the security to keep you from getting robbed), then maybe.

Maybe 50 - 60 years ago that was true. Now, people are too dumbed down. Freedom and liberty will only lead to Lord of the Flies.
There is absolutely nothing better than a cigarette after a complete economic collapse.

That 1.7% keeps you up with inflation. That adds up over time. Over ten years your salary will be over 25k lower depending obviously on your current pay.

true, just gotta work a few xtra shifts next year

Golden handcuffs largely a myth. Lol @ the guy worrying about losing his paid time off.
Paid time off is important to me ;) my partner is the bread winner not me, my salary is equivalent to the taxes we pay on my partners salary. I enjoy the work, flexible schedule and time off...
fully decentralized role, expanded scope of prescribing, working with diverse patient population with great team of docs/NPs/PAs plus
5 weeks paid time off (will bump up another week in a couple years) plus sick time, paid holidays, no nights/weekends, flexible schedule, low cost health plan, great retirement matching and market rate salary in a desirable major metro west coast city....I consider it golden handcuffs for what I am looking for in the pharmacy world. Who else is going to offer that....?

Last edited:
Paid time off is important to me ;) my partner is the bread winner not me, my salary is equivalent to the taxes we pay on my partners salary. I enjoy the work, flexible schedule and time off...
fully decentralized role, expanded scope of prescribing, working with diverse patient population with great team of docs/NPs/PAs plus
5 weeks paid time off (will bump up another week in a couple years) plus sick time, paid holidays, no nights/weekends, flexible schedule, low cost health plan, great retirement matching and market rate salary in a desirable major metro west coast city....I consider it golden handcuffs for what I am looking for in the pharmacy world. Who else is going to offer that....?

Man sounds like a sweet gig. May need to rethink this VA thing lol.

I believe a 3% withdrawal will you give you about a 90% chance to have your portfolio last at least 30+ years.

I believe a 3% withdrawal will you give you about a 90% chance to have your portfolio last at least 30+ years.

Depends on real inflation. Had you retired in 1987, that wouldn't have worked in present day now. Who knows in an era where there is no real inflation...

Chains ain't dumb, just in California five pharmacy schools haven't graduated a class yet, 6 if you count the ucsf's double graduating class... then you got uci in the pipeline... why the hell should they Give raises, hell maybe 45 dollars an hour is too much for the present job market...

Any other so called pharmacy leader want to come here and argue that saturation ain't real????!!

Chains ain't dumb, just in California five pharmacy schools haven't graduated a class yet, 6 if you count the ucsf's double graduating class... then you got uci in the pipeline... why the hell should they Give raises, hell maybe 45 dollars an hour is too much for the present job market...

Any other so called pharmacy leader want to come here and argue that saturation ain't real????!!
2 of the new schools are graduating rphs this yr, no?

There is absolutely nothing better than a cigarette after a complete economic collapse.

Well....a cigar would be better, but hey, after an economic collapse, we'll all learn to make do with what we have.

22045735_874768772679677_4635501200579999239_n.jpg

"Walgreens Boots Alliance tops earnings estimates, lifts low end of 2017 guidance
Published: June 29, 2017 7:09 a.m. ET

By
CIARA
LINNANE
CORPORATE NEWS EDITOR

Walgreen Boots Alliance Inc. WBA, -1.18% said Thursday it had net income of $1.162 billion, or $1.07 a share, in the second quarter, up from $1.103 billion, or $1.01 a share, in the year-earlier period. Adjusted per-share earnings came to $1.33, ahead of the FactSet consensus of $1.30. Sales rose to $30.1 billion from $29.5 billion, also ahead of the FactSet consensus of $29.7 billion. "Our results this quarter continued to meet our expectations as strategic partnerships brought more patients to our U.S. pharmacies," Chief Executive Stefano Pessina said in a statement. Separately, the company also unveiled a new agreement with Rite Aid Inc. RAD, -2.63% replacing a 2015 merger agreement. The company raised the lower end of its 2017 EPS guidance to $4.98 to $5.08 from a prior $4.90 to $5.08. Shares rose 1.8% premarket, but are down 7% in 2017, while the S&P 500 SPX, +0.41% has gained 9%."

Source: The Cynical Pharmacist (Facebook)

Reactions: 3 users
Is that document actually real?

I thought a pharmacy market/district manager deals with pharmacist salaries not the front-end store manager.

It's just extremely hard to believe that corporate would release a document like that to all "store" managers the phrases like, "as large numbers of pharmacy students graduate"

In addition, we have only two posters, wagrxm2000 and mingdizzle confirming the freeze is real. It's hard to believe that there's not more WAGs RPhs on these forums who can confirm.

That letter is disgusting.

This is happening during a booming economy. Imagine how bad it will be when the next recession hits, which could be any day now. I was hoping for at least a few more years to get my affairs in order, but it looks like the apocalypse is going to hit early.

This is happening during a booming economy. Imagine how bad it will be when the next recession hits, which could be any day now. I was hoping for at least a few more years to get my affairs in order, but it looks like the apocalypse is going to hit early.

Recession is just global supply/demand in aggregate, it doesn't necessary effect a specific labor pool, like pharmacy.

In fact I'm sure many of us would want to go back to the 2008/09 pharmacist labor market.

Recession is just global supply/demand in aggregate, it doesn't necessary effect a specific labor pool, like pharmacy.

In fact I'm sure many of us would want to go back to the 2008/09 pharmacist labor market.
Let's dial it back to 2005 just for a hoot.

Is that document actually real?

I thought a pharmacy market/district manager deals with pharmacist salaries not the front-end store manager.

It's just extremely hard to believe that corporate would release a document like that to all "store" managers the phrases like, "as large numbers of pharmacy students graduate"

In addition, we have only two posters, wagrxm2000 and mingdizzle confirming the freeze is real. It's hard to believe that there's not more WAGs RPhs on these forums who can confirm.

What more do you want? Do you think I'm lying?

That form is also real and is the talking points for the store manager to tell their staff. Yes the store manager is in charge which has ZERO effect on how I work or run my pharmacy. Sure, they can say how they want things done but most don't even mess with the pharmacy since they don't understand what's going on back there.

What more do you want? Do you think I'm lying?

That form is also real and is the talking points for the store manager to tell their staff. Yes the store manager is in charge which has ZERO effect on how I work or run my pharmacy. Sure, they can say how they want things done but most don't even mess with the pharmacy since they don't understand what's going on back there.

No I didn't say that.

There's nothing wrong with living by the following: "trust, but verify."

Not every RPh here works at WAGs and knows the process. Thank you for confirming the store manager is in charge.

Thank you for confirming that that form is real.

I guess, from a corporate standpoint, what I don't understand is the flat ZERO. It causes disruptions in morale. Which effects output. Wouldn't a flat 0.25% raise for meets expectations, 0.5% for outperform, give near the same cost-cutting function but not effect morale.

And yes, you can say, "THEY DON'T CARE" and why I totally believe that, why disrupt the store morale, that may cost them 3-4-5% in output?