Wake Forest Post Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone have the link to the website to this program? Ive been looking and cant find it. the one posted in this thread doesnt work.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on when people heard last year, I'm guessing we should hear by the end of the month. But if anyone is in the program now, I'd love to hear how it's going.

^Thanks for the response. What other programs are you applying to?

Hi folks,

I have a question regarding the Wake Forest Post-Bac program. I applied to their regular MD program and was rejected. I've contact the program coordinator to apply for the Post Bac program and she said that she'll move my application from a regular MD into the program. She also said that I won't hear back until after Dec 15 deadline.
Now my question is i have not heard back and it's already March. I am also concerned because I was never told to send in my letter of recommendation or the application fee ? Which I asked her if i need to send in.

^ You should have received a post-bac application a few months ago. Did they not send you one?

For the people who applied this year, did any of you guys receive an email that your application is complete? They never sent me one and I called them about it.

For the people who applied this year, did any of you guys receive an email that your application is complete? They never sent me one and I called them about it.

I never got any confirmation email either and I talked to Sherly I believe and she said she'll get back to me regarding my application.

what's the average stats for students getting a secondary application ?
I have a 30/3.3 in engineering is this considered competitive

what's the average stats for students getting a secondary application ?
I have a 30/3.3 in engineering is this considered competitive

I got the impression that once you exceeded the minimum requirements (7,7,7 21 MCAT and 3.0 GPA) then it was more about other factors like life experiences, and whether you are a 'disadvantaged' applicant. 'Disadvantaged' is really defined by the applicant themselves (in my opinion). So, my interpretation of it is that they are looking for applicants that are strong cognitively, and who will make the most significant contributions to the field of medicine, given the opportunity to matriculate into medical school. I think that they look at your AMCAS to see if there are signs that you could be one of these people. This is something that really can't be defined by numbers. The end result is that disagvantaged applicants are more likely to practice in 'underserved' areas. It is the goal of the medical community as a whole to address the needs of all people, and most physicians don't want to work in these areas. If you can convey this in your primary application, with those numbers then you will def. get a secondary.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I got the impression that once you exceeded the minimum requirements (7,7,7 21 MCAT and 3.0 GPA) then it was more about other factors like life experiences, and whether you are a 'disadvantaged' applicant. 'Disadvantaged' is really defined by the applicant themselves (in my opinion). So, my interpretation of it is that they are looking for applicants that are strong cognitively, and who will make the most significant contributions to the field of medicine, given the opportunity to matriculate into medical school. I think that they look at your AMCAS to see if there are signs that you could be one of these people. This is something that really can't be defined by numbers. The end result is that disagvantaged applicants are more likely to practice in 'underserved' areas. It is the goal of the medical community as a whole to address the needs of all people, and most physicians don't want to work in these areas. If you can convey this in your primary application, with those numbers then you will def. get a secondary.

I am actually more concerned whether or not they received my application right now since no one at the office responded to my inquiry regarding my application. My application was actually moved from regular MD to the post bachelor program based on an email. I never received any confirmation or anything.

I am actually more concerned whether or not they received my application right now since no one at the office responded to my inquiry regarding my application. My application was actually moved from regular MD to the post bachelor program based on an email. I never received any confirmation or anything.

On their website there is a phone number, and they actually pick up the phone (isn't that swell). Let me look it up...

1-336-716-4271

You can ask about you application status. Sorry, I misunderstood you earlier.

Hey Beerog2003,

Did you get an email saying your application is complete? Or did you just call?

I just got off the phone with admin committee for the Wake Forest Post Bac and she said that they will be notifying applicants through email today and tomorrow.
Since I didn't receive a secondary I'm assuming that I'm rejected.

I just got off the phone with admin committee for the Wake Forest Post Bac and she said that they will be notifying applicants through email today and tomorrow.
Since I didn't receive a secondary I'm assuming that I'm rejected.

Did you ask them about your application and why you didn't receive a secondary?

Did you ask them about your application and why you didn't receive a secondary?

I did asked about my application specifically but all she said that we have sent an email to all the applicants today and some tomorrow. If you did not receive an email by monday contact us back.
Very vague and since I did not receive the secondary that was supposedly sent last month I assumed that I am rejected.

I just got the interview invitation! Mine is on April 6th, let me know if anyone else is going to be there that day.

I just got the interview invitation! Mine is on April 6th, let me know if anyone else is going to be there that day.

CONGRATS ON THE INTERVIEW!! Do you mind sharing when you were complete, stats, etc, if you are comfortable with sharing that is.

^did she say if acceptances are only today or today and tomorrow?!:xf:

congrats, when did you get a secondary ? I never got one.

I got the supplemental on 10/27/08. I turned it in around 11/1. I called around 12/1 just to make sure everything was received. This is my first time hearing something from them.

I got an e-mail this morning saying that they would not be able to offer me a position in the program. They said they had 150 applications for 10 spots and it was just too competitive.

I'm so diappointed...

I got an e-mail this morning saying that they would not be able to offer me a position in the program. They said they had 150 applications for 10 spots and it was just too competitive.

I'm so diappointed...

Were you considered URM?

I'm so diappointed...

Keep your head up and don't loose hope. Applying to medical school is tough, but you WILL be successful when you work hard and don't give up. I know that my advice does not hold much weight seeing as how I am not in medical school, but this is just what I believe.

Hi everyone. I was placed on hold status. The email they sent said that I could be interviewed if someone withdraws before April 6th. Do any applicants or anyone familiar with the program know the chances of getting a interview if placed on hold? Does anyone know if their rank their hold list? Thanks guys and please reply as soon as possible.

Hey everyone
I did the post bac last year and am currently a first year at Wake. For interviews, it is only one day and they are going to have ten spots for next year. If you have any questions just drop me a line.
Good luck

I got an e-mail yesterday with a hold status as well. I doubt there is any way to know our rank or even how many they "hold". Right now I guess we wait...

Hey Everyone. I'm a student from this year's post bac. Congratulations to those of you who were invited for an interview. To those of you who didn't, don't give up and keep working hard!!!

Please contact me if you have any questions for the interview. Just relax... it's not a stressful experience at all. :) (You can take a sigh of relief now.)

I wish you all the best of luck. I hope to hear from you soon. :)

-Jenny

Hey Everyone. I'm a student from this year's post bac. Congratulations to those of you who were invited for an interview. To those of you who didn't, don't give up and keep working hard!!!

Please contact me if you have any questions for the interview. Just relax... it's not a stressful experience at all. :) (You can take a sigh of relief now.)

I wish you all the best of luck. I hope to hear from you soon. :)

-Jenny

emm.. What if you did not hear anything at all ?
I haven't heard anything at all regarding my application.

emm.. What if you did not hear anything at all ?
I haven't heard anything at all regarding my application.

I'm not sure what to tell you, but if you haven't heard from them then it's too late. Try to follow up with them (call them on the phone), but the interview invitations have been sent already.

They interview about 24-26 people, and accept 10... about 5 are placed on the wait-list. Sometimes they take people off the wait-list... I think for my year one or two were from the wait-list (but I don't know for sure... I wasn't on the wait-list.)

Hey, I am just posting to say that I just got accepted to school and will be releasing my interview spot. I wish you guys the best!!!!

Hey everyone
I received a lot of privates about interview advice so I thought I would respond on here. to be honest, the best advice I could give you is to be yourself. This will be the most laid back interview you've ever had. No one is ranked, you all have equal chances of being admitted. Just know why you want to be a doctor and what makes you unique. Other than that relax, smile, and have fun.

anyone who was placed on "hold" receive an interview yet?

Hey everyone,

I'm a post-bac this year, and thought I'd add my 2 cents.... During my interview, I was asked about why I wanted to be a doctor, why Wake Forest, to tell a little about myself and then the rest was really just conversation. I believe that most of the interviewers are people who have a vested interest in the program; deans, professors, fourth year students- they just want to make that you're a good fit. At the interview, the current post-bacs will talk to you during lunch, we'll take you on a tour and hopefully answer all of your questions. Good luck and I'll see you in April!

Michelle

anyone know if the hold list is ranked or not?

Will anyone else be interviewing here on Monday?

Hey, I am just posting to say that I just got accepted to school and will be releasing my interview spot. I wish you guys the best!!!!

Interestingly, I called there today about my interview hold status because I had been out of the country for the past couple weeks and the person I spoke to said that no one had released their interview spot so they had not taken anyone off the hold list... Anyone else on the hold list get a call???

i was placed in the hold list and did not receive a call.

Thats odd: one of the previous posters said that he would release his interview spot so there should be at least one available spot. At any rate, there is still one more day that they can call us and tell us if they will extend an interview off the hold list.

Last edited:
anyone end up receiving an interview off of the hold list?

Last year the interviews were on the 21st of April, and letters were sent out the 9th of May. So those things should be going out any day now...

I don't know where everyone else has had interviews, but I have to say Wake is a pretty impressive school. I interviewed at a DO school, and at Georgetown (GEMS). Wake is by far my favorite. The laptop program, and having all your lectures online 24/7. I had one class like that as an undergrad and it really makes such a difference. And the medical class size is only 120! That seems like such a small class for how large of a campus that is...I mean, in a hospital system that size, you'd probably have no problem doing 3rd/4th year rotations in any field (pediatric interventional neuroradiology anyone?). And the cost of living in W-S is pretty low, I've seen apartments on craigslist for like $400. I seriously hadn't thought about it before, but since you're borrowing all that money in med school, the less you spend during med school, the sooner you can get out of debt, and the sooner you can do stuff like Doctors w/o Borders. On page 1 someone said something about post-bacs getting good financial aid during med school...that really blows me away.

Rafael - You speak five languages?! I think you win. I have a degree in Molecular Biology too! (and Biochemistry) My stats - about average GPA, but I've done real well the last 30 or so credits, and I have a really good MCAT score, but I think at this point they aren't necessarily looking at that. Lots of ECs - shadowing, volunteering in an ED, volunteering in a clinic, volunteering/tutoring at an after school center for inner city kids, some stuff in politics.

These next few days are really gonna be nerve racking. Is there anyone else lurking this thread that interviewed?

Good luck everyone

Hi everyone!

I'm surprised that no one has updated this thread. The interview was Monday 04/06/09, there were 24 of us from everywhere. We got to meet the current post bac class and everyone was super nice- including my competition lol (good luck to everyone btw). The interview letter (received via e-mail) said that the final decisions were going to be made May 15th but all the students from the current class said that in about 3 weeks we would all know. Judging by the date stamps of the interview/accepted comments from 2008, they were right on- so hopefully we will know in 2 weeks. Like people have said prior, everyone there was really nice and the interviewers were really laid back.

I know I haven't been accepted yet but I figured that I would publish my info to help others out. I'll be honest, my numbers aren't good- with AMCAS verified GPAs like 2.61 (overall) and 2.63 (science) I was praying on my MCAT score, which wasn't so hot either 26Q (10 VR, 9 BS, 7 PS). I'm graduating May 1st with 2 B.S. degrees (Neuroscience and Molecular Biology) and if worse comes to worst I'm going to take the MCAT over, enroll in some program (master's/post bac/etc), and reapply next year.

Yes, I am a URM and AMCAS considered me disadvantaged. I am the first of my family to be born in the US and naturally the only to have a great command of English (along with 5 other languages), my dad is from Ecuador and my mom is from South Korea. Both sides of the family come from farming lower class communities. Educationally speaking, I am the first to graduate secondary school (so naturally the first to go to college). Other than that, the only other "distinctive" feature is that I'm homosexual (not sure if that helps or hurts but hey, since I'm being honest with the application info lol). Hopes this info is useful :)

It's a great program and I hope I get accepted *crosses fingers* I wish everyone some inner peace during the application/interview/purgatory (waiting for acceptances) processes, most of all GOOD LUCK!!!

- Rafael.

I also applied to Wake and interviewed (Rafael, you gave me a ride back to my hotel:)). I also have been very anxious to hear back, so I called Wake on Monday and I was informed that we would be notified by letter by the first week in May. So I'm assuming by May 4th we all should know. I wish they would accept us all!

Thanks gujuDoc,

I've thought about it but down here there is a vast international population so there's a pretty even ratio of employees to patients as far as foreign languages are concerned. However, once you move out of South Florida (either north of West Palm Beach or the west coast) it's a different sotry (unless you are in a major area like NYC or LA etc) you are right, there is a real need for it- so hopefully when I move to Wake Forest I can volunteer as a translator. Farsi is my targeted next language to learn, then I'll have a set of languages that I can use practically anywhere in the world lol.

I have to look it up but I'd like to work doing something like teaching basic medical classes (sanitary living, hygiene, first aid, that type of stuff) along with the clinical stuff if I go to Doctors without Borders.

Oh I don't think I want to be a pediatric interventional neuroradiologist. I'm just saying that given the size of the hospital compared to the size of the med student class, it would probably be comparatively easier to rotate in a very specialized field at WF than it would at other schools.

One of my tour guides also said that you spend one of your summers during first or second year doing medical mission work, and have that count as one of your rotations during 3rd/4th year. How awesome would that be?!

And I'm from PA

Last edited: