Waitlisted, more clinical experience? next steps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tansky

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
24 y/o, 506 MCAT ( just retook and believed I significantly improved, will know in a month :) ) 3.65 GPA (upward, bad Freshman year),
student athlete for four years football, 200 hours research with publication, 2000 hours at a group home for the disabled where I was involved with daily cares and medication administration, 1400 hours scribing in ED, 50 hours hospice volunteering ( plan to do more ) , EMT B certified

Currently I am waitlisted to MD in Texas, as it is late I retook the MCAT and am going to apply out of state in the next cycle as well (using MSAR).

Making this post just for suggestions as to what to do next. Last time I posted here I was recommended to get more clinical experience and volunteering (EMT,scribing,hospice). Would more volunteering be sufficient to add to my application while I pick up a job in sales or something similar to make some money and work on my people skills, or do should I shoot for more medical experience? I'm not entirely sure doing EMT work or even ER tech work would help my application that much but I may be wrong, don't know what else I could do that wouldn't require more certifications.

I am hoping that I crushed the MCAT which I believe will open a lot of doors for me ( feel like I aced BB/PS, CP was incredibly difficult but that seems to be a common trend this year and it should be scaled).

Am at a fork and do not really know where to go from here. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Get some service to those less fortunate (homeless shelter, soup kitchen, Big Brothers Big Sisters, food bank, working with refugees etc). It would be fine to get a job in sales if that provides more flexibility and pay for you. I would only suggest applying to TMDAS schools (including TCOM and Sam Houston) as well as DO schools on AACOMAS. The only out of state MD school I can suggest would be Tulane, as schools have seen that Texas residents stay in-state historically.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
24 y/o, 506 MCAT ( just retook and believed I significantly improved, will know in a month :) ) 3.65 GPA (upward, bad Freshman year),
student athlete for four years football, 200 hours research with publication, 2000 hours at a group home for the disabled where I was involved with daily cares and medication administration, 1400 hours scribing in ED, 50 hours hospice volunteering ( plan to do more ) , EMT B certified

Currently I am waitlisted to MD in Texas, as it is late I retook the MCAT and am going to apply out of state in the next cycle as well (using MSAR).

Making this post just for suggestions as to what to do next. Last time I posted here I was recommended to get more clinical experience and volunteering (EMT,scribing,hospice). Would more volunteering be sufficient to add to my application while I pick up a job in sales or something similar to make some money and work on my people skills, or do should I shoot for more medical experience? I'm not entirely sure doing EMT work or even ER tech work would help my application that much but I may be wrong, don't know what else I could do that wouldn't require more certifications.

I am hoping that I crushed the MCAT which I believe will open a lot of doors for me ( feel like I aced BB/PS, CP was incredibly difficult but that seems to be a common trend this year and it should be scaled).

Am at a fork and do not really know where to go from here. Thank you!
I agree with @chilly_md . Continue with at least some volunteering, but get a job that will allow you to make money. Also, don't wait to hear if you are accepted or not before applying. Update your application to reflect your recent activities. Submit to AMCAS and TMDSAS to get verified and then when you get your score, add appropriate schools -- if you haven't yet been accepted.

I hope you hear good news!

Last edited: