Waitlisted at my top choice for clinical psychology: what more can I do to get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polarbearscafe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently high on the waitlist at my top choice clinical psychology PhD program. I am also currently waiting on publication results and funding results; I will notify my POI immediately when I hear good news in these two areas, but I was wondering what else I can do now to improve my chances of getting in.

Members don't see this ad.

You would be waitlisted because another applicant got an offer to that lab. Nothing you can do can make that offer go away, or make that person decide faster.
Your plan to update the POI on your accomplishments may help to push you into #2 spot if you are not there now, or solidify your position there. I wouldn't do anything more than that, other maybe to check in if there is no update and reiterate your interest in a few weeks. Any other emails/calls/etc. might be read as some kind of inappropriate impatience/desperation/whatever.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with MCParent--at this point, there really isn't much you can do other than checking in every few weeks to reiterate your interest if you don't hear anything. I did just that at my top program, and ultimately it ended up landing me a spot when additional funding was secured (which certainly isn't common, but it's possible).

Reactions: 1 user