Waitlisted at Canadian MD and Orientation conflict

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yzsgs789

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN Members,

I am in a unique situation here. I have been accepted to MSUCOM. At the same time, I have been placed on the wait-list at two Canadian MD schools, which offers usually are sent until mid to late June. However, orientation for MSUCOM begins June 6th, with classes beginning on the 11th and the white-coat ceremony on the 16th. I was wondering if it is possible to withdraw my offer should I be given a Canadian offer? Is there written rules or guidelines for these things? Would it be possible to remove myself from the class at the beginning of the semester?

For obvious reasons I would strongly prefer the Canadian MD acceptance but I am hesitant to talk to MSUCOM about the situation because I am afraid they may force me to withdraw my waitlist spots. Any advice here?

Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

That's not unique. Every university has a written policy on tuition refunds.

If you get accepted at the Canadian institution, you'll have to withdraw from MSUCOM. The amount of money they refund you depends on their policies. Some institutions will give you a full refund in the first x weeks, some will prorate, some will want a penalty, etc. Should be easy to find from your financial aid office. Just give them a call if you can't.

edit: from MSUCOM:
http://www.com.msu.edu/About/Accreditation/accred_policies/Tuition,-Fees-and-Refunds-Policy.pdf

1. Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM) students must follow policies, procedures and regulations with regard to tuition, fees and refunds, as determined by Michigan State University (MSU) for Graduate-Professional students.
a. General information, policies, procedures and regulations are available to students in the online MSU Academic Programs Catalog on the MSU Office of the Registrar website MSU RO: Academic Programs
b. Students are assessed charges for tuition and fees on a semester basis.
c. Refund of tuition and fees is determined as followed:
i. For courses dropped, or student withdrawals, through the first ¼ of the semester of instruction (measured in weekdays, not class days), 100% of the semester course fees and tuition will be refunded.
ii. For courses dropped, or student withdrawals, after the first ¼ of the semester of instruction, and through the end of the semester, no refund will be made.
iii. Information on Financial Aid Refund Policy can be found at: MSU RO: Academic Programs

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the quick reply and the information.

I have read through that information. I guess the best option here is to attend orientation and MSUCOM for now until the Canadian cycle and WL completely ends, and should I be given a Canadian offer, I will withdraw from MSUCOM.

That's not unique. Every university has a written policy on tuition refunds.

If you get accepted at the Canadian institution, you'll have to withdraw from MSUCOM. The amount of money they refund you depends on their policies. Some institutions will give you a full refund in the first x weeks, some will prorate, some will want a penalty, etc. Should be easy to find from your financial aid office. Just give them a call if you can't.

edit: from MSUCOM:
http://www.com.msu.edu/About/Accreditation/accred_policies/Tuition,-Fees-and-Refunds-Policy.pdf

1. Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM) students must follow policies, procedures and regulations with regard to tuition, fees and refunds, as determined by Michigan State University (MSU) for Graduate-Professional students.
a. General information, policies, procedures and regulations are available to students in the online MSU Academic Programs Catalog on the MSU Office of the Registrar website MSU RO: Academic Programs
b. Students are assessed charges for tuition and fees on a semester basis.
c. Refund of tuition and fees is determined as followed:
i. For courses dropped, or student withdrawals, through the first ¼ of the semester of instruction (measured in weekdays, not class days), 100% of the semester course fees and tuition will be refunded.
ii. For courses dropped, or student withdrawals, after the first ¼ of the semester of instruction, and through the end of the semester, no refund will be made.
iii. Information on Financial Aid Refund Policy can be found at: MSU RO: Academic Programs

Members don't see this ad :)
That's kind of the only option you have, unless you want to bet "ever becoming a doctor" vs "chances of getting into the Canadian program."

Reactions: 1 user
OP, beware - I personally know of a Canadian Med school grad who was desperately trying to get into any US residency. Not sure if it ever worked out for him. You won’t regret the Osteopathic medical school.

OP, beware - I personally know of a Canadian Med school grad who was desperately trying to get into any US residency. Not sure if it ever worked out for him. You won’t regret the Osteopathic medical school.

Yeah the match this year for Canadian schools has especially been bad with over 10% of the University of Toronto graduating class not matching. I am very grateful for the opportunity to study medicine and fulfill my goals. Nonetheless the tuition is still simply too steep for me to chose MSUCOM over any Canadian MD should I be given an offer off the waitlist. But I will gladly attend MSUCOM if that was my only path to become a physician :)

Just received an offer for a Canadian MD. I guess everything works out :)

Reactions: 3 users